Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,

My '73 Challenger project has no interior. I am designing it as a daily driver, so I want the most comfortable seats I can find.

I have never sat on a real '73 Challenger seat, but if it is anything like my '73 Mustang seat, I will spare my spine the trouble. I can always buy "original" seats down the line if I want them mobdro.bio/ luckypatcher.tips/ kodi.bio/.

Will those nice seats from the new Challenger fit in my old Challenger? What about the back seat? Has anyone tried to make the swap?

Anyone's experiences with swapping in ANY non-Challenger seat would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I know they tried using late model seats in a vintage Challenger on Gas Monkey and claimed they wouldn’t work. To wide?

·
Super Moderator
15,063 Posts
the modern seats are much bulkier than the B-body / E body bucket seats.

If there's anything that might help is if you can find the six way adjuster (optional on E-body) for the driver's seat. That can allow tilt of the front / back to give more thigh support.

those original seats didn't have seatback rake adjustment, which I noticed when my parent's newer cars had this back in the day, which made a big difference in comfort.

The other one is building up the seat with various densities of foam - medium and high density for better support.

Those old seats would be good for about 3 - 4 hours and then your lower back and legs were numb since the foam compressed and you could feel the steel springs after that.

seat ergonomics have taken huge steps - you can drive for 10 - 13 hours and you're not beat up from bad seat designs - in the old days the "stretch your legs" was something you had to do every few hours if you wanted to be able to walk again

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I remember years ago of someone trying to do this. If I remember right, the issue was the 70-74 Challenger floor pan. It wasn't deep enough for modern Challenger seats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,,

My '73 Challenger project has no interior. I am designing it as a daily driver, so I want the most comfortable seats I can find.

I have never sat on a real '73 Challenger seat, but if it is anything like my '73 Mustang seat, I will spare my spine the trouble. I can always buy "original" seats down the line if I want them

Will those nice seats from the new Challenger fit in my old Challenger? What about the back seat? Has anyone tried to make the swap?

Anyone's experiences with swapping in ANY non-Challenger seat would be helpful.

Thanks!
I have a 72 Challenger and I am using Chrysler Crossfire seats. These are harder to find than new Challenger seats but are much smaller and similar in style, unfortunately the Crossfire does not have a back seat. I am going to have all the seats redone so they match. They are power & heated and may have an airbag in them, I plan on using the heat function but removed the airbag. Also I bought extra parts so that the passenger seat will have the same adjustment features as the driver seat. You will have to figure out the seat belts but you can find 3 point retractable belts for your Challenger by searching the internet. Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
A great seat to replace your E-body seats with are Dodge Shelby Charger seats. The are super comfortable the tilt forward and recline and best of all BOLT RIGHT IN !!! Back seat is not really compatible but you wont regret the front buckets. Actually any seats from the FWD L-body cars (Omni, Horizon, Charger, Turismo, Duster) work. The 80's G-Body ( Dodge Daytona / Chrysler Laser) will bolt right in also. Not terribly hard to find, not a ton of money but DAMN comfortable.
20160822_182451.jpg
20160822_182451.jpg
Pass_Int_Old.jpg
20160605_172755.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,063 Posts
I have a 72 Challenger and I am using Chrysler Crossfire seats. These are harder to find than new Challenger seats but are much smaller and similar in style, unfortunately the Crossfire does not have a back seat. I am going to have all the seats redone so they match. They are power & heated and may have an airbag in them, I plan on using the heat function but removed the airbag. Also I bought extra parts so that the passenger seat will have the same adjustment features as the driver seat. You will have to figure out the seat belts but you can find 3 point retractable belts for your Challenger by searching the internet. Hope this helps!!!
The Mercedes SLK (the Crossfire is derived from the SLK model R170 series) seats are probably more commonplace as the SLK sold in greater quantities than Crossfires and ran from '96 - '04. The later series SLK R171 '04 -'10 likely have similar seats as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts