Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Will 275/40/r20 tires fit well on 2018 challenger SXT blacktop

989 13
Hello, im looking for a little wider and fuller looking tires for my 2018 challenger challenger SXT blacktop package. Will 275/40/R20 fit well??
I just need these tires for enhanced look.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
36,778 Posts
Your Blacktop wheels are 20x8" and widest recommended tire would be a 255/45. 9" or wider recommended for 275s. People have put 275s on 8" wheels and they will physically fit, but just be aware

A Guy

· Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
1,149 Posts
Perhaps the "recommended" part comes from the wheel manufacturers so they can sell more wheels? I mean i wouldnt over do it but Ive seen some Trucks with tires on them with a rounded bulging sidewalls on stock wheels.

I like to get different wheels just because i like something diffferent than everyone else and im not real enamored with my Scat Pack wheels but they will do. Maybe someday ill switch em out.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your Blacktop wheels are 20x8" and widest recommended tire would be a 255/45. 9" or wider recommended for 275s. People have put 275s on 8" wheels and they will physically fit, but just be aware

A Guy
Hello Buddy,
I decided to go 255/45 after reading your advice. What kind of downstream impacts can these bigger tires create. Impacts include but not limited to
1. Rubbing of wheels when steered to complete right/left ?
2. Lowered acceleration ?
3. Loss of tire pressure indicator on the dashboard ?
4. Reduced Mileage?

· Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
36,778 Posts
You will have no ill effects from that small a change. If anything it will have the advantage of a little more rim protection. Make sure to price both the 255 and 245 size of the same tire. Sometimes one is quite less than the other

A Guy

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You will have no ill effects from that small a change. If anything it will have the advantage of a little more rim protection. Make sure to price both the 255 and 245 size of the same tire. Sometimes one is quite less than the other

A Guy
Guy, you are a great guy.
Many Thanks my man.

I'm not concerned about the price. I want the big wheels look without any rubbing issue or without loosing the air pressure detection functionality . I might think of buying 9inch or 10inch rims. Will that have any downstream impact on an SXT?

· Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
36,778 Posts
9" or 9.5" wheels with up to 275/40 in front and 10.5" to 11" wheels in the rear with 305/35 or even 315/35 in the rear work with the right offsets. The major reproduction wheel companies make the right offsets in those sizes. 315s may require some massaging of the liner for complete clearance

245/45R20, 275/40R20 and 315/35R20 are all the same height/circumference so the speedometer remains correct. A small change off that size, such as the 305/35 would be no issue, but the speedometer will be slightly off
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

A Guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts