Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, today I went to strat the car and the battery was having problems. I had it jump started in the trunk and the car started.

-If this was the first time I had the car jumped, is it wise to leave it or replace the battery so I dont get stranded again?

-Also if I do want to replace the car battery, are there a variety of brands to choose from or do I have to get one from the dealer that came in my car?

thank you

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Battery needs to be 730CCA and it needs the provision for vent tube.

Since the battery is in an enclosed area (trunk), it needs the vent tube to vent the hydrogen gas produced from charging out of the vehicle...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
instead of getting that provision for a vent tube cant the dealer just give me one similar that came in my car.

My car is a 2011, is there a recall for that year or something?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
You have not provided enough information to determine if your battery is bad or you just ran it down somehow. You need to figure out if there is anything that discharged the battery before replacing it. If you are still under the 3/36 warranty, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The OEM battery in your car is "vented" and uses the vent tube "Hal" mentioned. The dealer has the correct battery. However, they are also available from other sources for less money.
The best batteries are made by "Johnson Controls", including Walmart's best battery and it is the least expensive I have found.

·
Super Moderator
14,188 Posts
The OEM battery in your car is "vented" and uses the vent tube "Hal" mentioned. The dealer has the correct battery. However, they are also available from other sources for less money.
The best batteries are made by "Johnson Controls", including Walmart's best battery and it is the least expensive I have found.

I assume that the Walmart EverStart MAXX comes with a parts bag for venting. Correct?

Also, do you know if it is an exact fit, or is some modification of the hold down supports required?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought batteries were like brakes and werent covered under warranty. My car was leased in June 2011.

-As far as draining the battery does it drian the battery if you sit in the car for long periods of time in Accessory mode listening to the radio?
-I did have that window recall where the windows went up ands down by themselves all night once, but the battery never died and the dealer recharged the battery

any help?

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I thought batteries were like brakes and werent covered under warranty. My car was leased in June 2011.

-As far as draining the battery does it drian the battery if you sit in the car for long periods of time in Accessory mode listening to the radio?
-I did have that window recall where the windows went up ands down by themselves all night once, but the battery never died and the dealer recharged the battery

any help?

thanks
Here we go again...

The battery is covered, I believe it's full replacement within 2 years or 24k miles and is prorated after that. Call your dealer's service dept, they can tell you for sure what warranty remains on your battery, if any.

"Does listening to the radio for long periods of time drain the battery?" - Really? Common sense doesn't tell you that yes, this will drain the battery if done for long enough? How would the battery recharge or keep a charge if the engine isn't running? Is the radio solar powered? Not to be a smarta$$, but did you also not figure out on your own that boiling water will burn you?

Draining the battery once isn't necessarily enough to necessitate replacing it, depending on how discharged the battery was you may have shortened the life of the battery some. The best way to know if the battery needs to be replaced due to diminished capacity is to have it load tested. Places like Auto Zone and Napa will do this for free.

If you just parked the car and the next morning it needed to be jumped then either the battery is on its way out or something is draining it while sitting. Depending on how cold it is where you are, batteries lose capacity as they get colder and extreme cold will expose a weak battery very quick.

As to the question in the subject of your thread, no not any car battery will fit. There are tons of different sizes and capacities. The Challenger uses a "Group 94R" battery, you don't need to buy these from the dealer.

Your threads never cease to amaze... :)

Reactions: Havoc51 and mjb4450

·
Registered
2010 SE
229 Posts
Use an AGM battery instead of the vented one that they provide OEM, they're better in general. Group 65 fit for me, 31 is too tall.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well, tommasom is back.

Always entertaining. :popblood:

Reactions: Havoc51
1 - 10 of 10 Posts