Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read through many threads on the Predator and the canned tunes and feel a bit confused...I have a 2010 R/T Classic 6 Speed with a Mopar Catback Exhaust and a Mopar CAI (skip-shift eliminator equipped)-other than that-stock. My question is, will I be happy with the gains received by just getting the Predator and installing the canned 93 octane tune (93 octane gas is readily available to me)? I dont plan on doing any other mods to the engine or exhaust in the future except a catch-can and I dont want to work on my car much, I just want to drive it and I wouldn't mind waking it up some more. The Predator is a bit pricey for a working stiff and I have read some people saying that the gains on a 6 Speed arent really that great...I know its subjective, butt-dyno and all that, but if I gain some more low end response, a little more driveability and a bit more high end snap I would probably be happy as a clam. Are my expectations in the right place with this mod, or am I looking at having to tweak this, open that, make that bigger, bolt this on, etc, to add what I speak of. Its hard to compare from an SRT to an R/T to an SRT8 so it would be great to hear from some of you that have a similar setup as I, though any information will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
From what I have read, canned tune with a 6-speed R/T will result in virtually no increase in HP.

Of course your results may vary.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Automatic - quite noticeable
6sp - not really noticeable... from what I've been told by 6sp owners

You might be grinning.. but more'n likely an upside down grin (frown)...

Mike

·
Registered
117 Posts
Automatic - quite noticeable
6sp - not really noticeable... from what I've been told by 6sp owners
Your research on this site should confirm the info above.

You may want to try a T-stat and then you would need the tuner to lower your fan settings.

If your car was an automatic, Then I would say the turner is a must!

·
Registered
419 Posts
The results have been hit-miss for some. After loading the 91 octane tune and a 180 t-stat my 6 speed has responded at the track, it went from 77-78 mph (1/8 mile) to 81-82, then to 82-84 with more practice and cool downs. The more recent tunes r23 and up helped my car above the original tune on the predator (not sure what it shipped with anymore). I run the 91 octane tune, the 93 showed no additional improvement on my car in the 1/8 (mph).

I didn't do a dyno before/after but I recently had it on a Mustang dyno (lower power #s than Dynojets) and it put down 325-327 hp and 382-386 lb ft of torque.

The t-stat helps on the street, at the track I cool down to 150 or so before I drive over to the staging lanes. I prefer to run at 160-170 coolant temps once the run starts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It was night and day in my 6 spd srt 8. It was like I had a different car. Part of the problem is that it isn't driven much and hubby drives it about 25% - ish of the time. We have completely different driving styles and I guess the "learning" computer was schizoid. I loved driving my car before - now I have to stop myself from going "cruizing" after grocery shopping so the cold stuff won't spoil LOL. I'm even looking forward to the 6 hour drive to Mom's in a couple of weeks.

It's a sickness and I don't want a cure!

I'm pretty sure that we used the 91 octane tune. We don't always have access to 93 - and many times I'm pretty sure what's in the station isn't anywhere near 93 - they have a range they need to hit and I'm betting most wouldn't hit that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My research did suggest otherwise, but I wanted to hear from some owners. Stricnine-great information thank you, maybe a T-Stat and Pred package for Christmas is what I need, then I can try the tunes anyway and see for myself...At any rate, I wont be expecting to be pinned to the headrest just yet. Athaclena, I wonder if my R/T would have similar gains as your SRT8...I appreciate all the info.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had an 06 5.7L R/T Auto and it made a noticeable difference. On my 2010 6 spd SRT not
so much. But it does the skip shift elim and I have mods planned down the road and already
had it so..... but if I didn't I would have held off til I started modding enough to make custom
tunes worthwhile.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mike, the 30-Day Guarantee is great and I may just have to try the product myself to be sure...but I must disagree, there is great wisdom in researching others experiences. Knowledge is power and there is more knowledge available now than ever before. Again, thanks all for the info.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I also am glad this came up. thanks for posting this question. My wife is wanting to get me a Diablo for Christmas, I have an RT with "Auto. My dealer says it will void my warranty. I would like to try one but I would not know how to set the computer back to factory specs. when I go to the dealer for service or warranty work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I hear, easy to tune, easy to set back to stock. I think you need the interface kit as well to download the newest tunes from the website. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Anybody giving Christmas discounts on predator? please PM me.
thanks. 2009R/T auto.

PS what is Shipping/handling and taxes, NC

·
Registered
204 Posts
My research did suggest otherwise, but I wanted to hear from some owners. Stricnine-great information thank you, maybe a T-Stat and Pred package for Christmas is what I need, then I can try the tunes anyway and see for myself...At any rate, I wont be expecting to be pinned to the headrest just yet. Athaclena, I wonder if my R/T would have similar gains as your SRT8...I appreciate all the info.
I was on the fence about getting a Predator for a long time for many of the same reasons mentioned in this thread. Finally caved and got one because, well, there weren't that many easy mods left to do and I wanted moar.

Anyway, I would agree that it's probably not going to revolutionize your ETs, but if you're currently running a CAI without a Predator tune, you will definitely enjoy the benefits of the this tuner.

Where I noticed the most improvement was in the general 'drivability' of my car - for instance, where the engine would really lie down between shifts, making for somewhat lurchy city driving - that's completely gone. At WOT, when the car would stick on the launch, I often got a bog in 2nd gear - also gone. It's a lot of little improvements like that, but when summed up, it makes for a happier car and a happier driver, imo. And the elimination of those bogs,etc along the powerband makes the car feel quicker and more responsive.

One thing I noticed that I'm a bit curious about from other Predator users is that I noticed the engine fan is definitely working harder/more often as a result of the new tune - I wonder if that's typical with the stock thermostat?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Terraform-excellent info, exactly what I wanted to know and thank you- and that clinches it then. Dear Santa, I know you read CT so please bring me a 180* T-Stat and Predator package for Christmas. And make D$#@ sure its under my tree on Dec. the 25th. Thank you.
Ace

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a question if you don't mind, it's for an auto. I installed the 91 tune, (running on 93 octane fuel) CAI, customized the dual exhaust, turned off MDS. The thing runs like a beast, can't beleive the difference. My question is on WOT it chirps the tires in 2nd, am I creating any damage by doing this? What should I look out for? Do it a couple times a week at least. Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would do it a couple times a day if I could work the damn clutch...no I'm pretty sure your not doing any damage, however somewhere in the Predator there is a way to soften your shift firmness if you desire. It may already be as soft as possibe and your car is just venting some extra torque if you will...lol- after all you did say WOT.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts