Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months ago I posted a thread asking on exhaust advice. I kinda choked on doing anything but got the bug again. Let me start by saying I do not have the money to get a full exhaust. so basically my options are a set of BB or a muffler swap. I have listened to some videos and do not really like the sound of the BB's, so I am leaning towards a simple muffler swap.

So here's my plan, I a thinking of picking up 2 Flowmaster 40 series and swapping them in, but also leaving the stock resos on. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for sound, doesn't have to be ear piercing but loud enough to notice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
My shot from the hip is that it won't be any louder than stock...have to remember, you got 2 elements in the exhaust system that are both contributing to attenuation. So if you combine 2 "medium loud" components, you'll probably get just "mild loud" result. Now if you use a FM 10 instead of the 40, then the combined result with your rear resonators will probably be "louder" than stock, but not particular "loud". That's probably where you want to be, before you get into exhausts that are distinctly in the "here I am, notice me" range.

To get into the "loud" range, you really have to consider dumping either the muffler or the resonator. It will definitely be raw and loud, but then you may also be dealing with some serious drone, too. So it's not something to be entered lightly, unless you know you can take it. ;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
No it won't be loud. As long as the reso's are on it'll be quiet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn... I was kinda hoping it would be a little louder.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
ZAG, The best thing you can do it keep the stock mufflers because they are a straight through high flow design. The resonators are the restrictive part of the exhaust. Replace the resonators with a couple of magnaflow mufflers and enjoy a nice sounding exhaust with NO drone.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
i have the flow master 40's on my ram 5.7 sounds good. when i first got them i took it back and told the shop to take off the resonators they told me it wouldn't make any difference...so i left them. i didn't think it was loud enough. it sounds good. a few days ago a guy asked me if i did any engine work (cam) because it sounded so good...

i have long tubes and borla ATAK on my SRT8 and it is loud so that it what i was comparing to.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Car Info?

My guess is that it would be helpful to know what vehicle you have since the resos and mufflers can be different between the years and models: what year, engine, and transmission do you have?

·
Registered
421 Posts
So a few months ago I posted a thread asking on exhaust advice. I kinda choked on doing anything but got the bug again. Let me start by saying I do not have the money to get a full exhaust. so basically my options are a set of BB or a muffler swap. I have listened to some videos and do not really like the sound of the BB's, so I am leaning towards a simple muffler swap.

So here's my plan, I a thinking of picking up 2 Flowmaster 40 series and swapping them in, but also leaving the stock resos on. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for sound, doesn't have to be ear piercing but loud enough to notice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a good setup in terms of what you stated that you are looking for. With stock resonators and the 40 Series mufflers, your car will sound aggressive when you are on it, and you will definitely notice the difference in sound, without being excessively loud.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
ZAG048,

A lady in our club had the Flowmaster 40's put on (5.7L V8, A5) and deleted the rear resonators...straight pipe and kept the stock tips. It sounded real nice (not super loud), and it was pretty cheap too. Go for it!

Green Man

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the flow masters super 44s on mine with the resonators deleted and while it was loud it wasn't overly loud. With the stock manifolds it won't sound too bad.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
FM 40's or 10's?

Sounds like a good setup in terms of what you stated that you are looking for. With stock resonators and the 40 Series mufflers, your car will sound aggressive when you are on it, and you will definitely notice the difference in sound, without being excessively loud.
Matt, I'm assuming the OP has a v8. My car has the 3.6 v6 - how will it sound if I keep the resos, but replace the mufflers with FM 40s or possibly FM10s? I'm looking for an increased/deeper growl sound during idle as well as WOT (as best I can get with a v6). I know the FM Force II is an improvement over stock, but I'd rather not buy a whole system, and I'm looking for maybe just a slight more sound than the Force II, without anymore drone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Exhaust

Hi i have a 2010 rt classic auto , i just deleted the suitcase muffler up front and to my surprise the muffler was a straight through design with holes perforated inside the muffler. I kept the rear resos in place and the sound has a very minimal increase both outside and inside the car. I have the MDS disabled and a Mopar CAI. I pulled the number 2 fuse and also reset the tune but i think i lost some bottom end power, it will not burnout nearly as far as it did before. I have a set of flowmaster 40 series deltas and i think i will have them installed in place of the straight pipe and still leave the resos in place to see if i can get a little deeper sound and regain that bottom end power lol

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Matt, I'm assuming the OP has a v8. My car has the 3.6 v6 - how will it sound if I keep the resos, but replace the mufflers with FM 40s or possibly FM10s? I'm looking for an increased/deeper growl sound during idle as well as WOT (as best I can get with a v6). I know the FM Force II is an improvement over stock, but I'd rather not buy a whole system, and I'm looking for maybe just a slight more sound than the Force II, without anymore drone.
I had the V6 Redline before the car I have now, and had 40s on them. It sounded great for the V6 it was, But it did have some Drone. I had the reso's on/off and decided to go with reso's off.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What year is your Challenger?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi i have a 2010 rt classic auto , i just deleted the suitcase muffler up front and to my surprise the muffler was a straight through design with holes perforated inside the muffler. I kept the rear resos in place and the sound has a very minimal increase both outside and inside the car. I have the MDS disabled and a Mopar CAI. I pulled the number 2 fuse and also reset the tune but i think i lost some bottom end power, it will not burnout nearly as far as it did before. I have a set of flowmaster 40 series deltas and i think i will have them installed in place of the straight pipe and still leave the resos in place to see if i can get a little deeper sound and regain that bottom end power lol
It sounds like you lost exhaust velocity. When you add the 40 Series Delta Flows back into your exhaust system, you will increase the exhaust velocity which will create more horsepower and torque.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Rip those resonators off. I still run the stock mufflers on my 6 speed RT and I always get compliments on the way it sounds. A little drone yes but man it sounds like a car and not some Prius. My RT also came with an H Pipe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Exhaust ???

Hi folks, well I tried the old muffler delete for a week or so, it kind a sounded ok but I could definitely feel a power loss even after pulling the fuse and resetting the tune, So I cut the straight pipes out and clamped in a set of flowmaster 40 delta series and still left the rear resos in place. Matt was 100% right, got back my bottom end torque but it is still just as quiet as stock, I was just looking for a little rumble outside but with no drone. Anyway I just pulled the trigger on a Solo Performance kit with the quad square tips, fingers crossed that this will be exactly what I`m looking for, fairly quiet at idle and a muscle car tone at WOT.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts