Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Borla s-type on my v6 challenger, and to be honest, I’m a little disappointed with how quiet it is. I chose the s-type over the ATAK because I didn’t want something overly loud. However, I did expect the s-type to be a little louder than it is now. I’m wondering if there is some sort of “break in” period where the exhaust will get a little louder? Any suggestions? I like the sound, it’s just not what I was expecting with my 1400 dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
It's interesting that you post this. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on buying the S-type for a while now. I was worried because it didn't seem much quieter than the ATAK system from Youtube videos. If it's not going to annoy anyone next to me, then this will be my ticket.

There is a break in period. It should get a deeper tone after a couple of thousand miles. I don't know if it will get louder.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
100% there is a break in period. When i got my solo performance catback, it didnt sound any different than stock to me. After a couple thousand, it deepened and opened up.

I wouldn’t recommend modifying the system

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's interesting that you post this. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on buying the S-type for a while now. I was worried because it didn't seem much quieter than the ATAK system from Youtube videos. If it's not going to annoy anyone next to me, then this will be my ticket.

There is a break in period. It should get a deeper tone after a couple of thousand miles. I don't know if it will get louder.
Yeah you might like it. It obviously sounds louder in videos. I just can’t really hear it from inside my car. I’ve gotten a few of those backfire crackles without even completely flooring it though. I mean, it’s starting to grow on me, but I’d still want it a little louder. At idle you can’t hear a thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
100% there is a break in period. When i got my solo performance catback, it didnt sound any different than stock to me. After a couple thousand, it deepened and opened up.

I wouldn’t recommend modifying the system
Alright, that makes me feel a little better. If my windows are up, I can’t hear a thing except a deep purr.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
My Solo exhaust was night and day over stock from the get go. I think it did get louder over time, but hard to say as the sound got deeper when I added the AirAid CAI

A Guy

Reactions: samantha1lehman

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed the Borla s-type on my v6 challenger, and to be honest, I’m a little disappointed with how quiet it is. I chose the s-type over the ATAK because I didn’t want something overly loud. However, I did expect the s-type to be a little louder than it is now. I’m wondering if there is some sort of “break in” period where the exhaust will get a little louder? Any suggestions? I like the sound, it’s just not what I was expecting with my 1400 dollars.
I did the resonator delete also, sounds awesome.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
For an exhaust to get louder as it "breaks in" over time is not a miracle, regardless of engine. Louder, not "like a V8"

A Guy

·
Registered
981 Posts
Most cars aren’t very loud when idling with the windows up. V8’s tend to be louder and they’re more forgiving if you’re willing to chop your exhaust off but even on my scat pack it’s mild with the windows up. You’ll find most V6 exhausts are on the more tame side from exhaust manufacturers. Mostly because a V6 is quieter but also because if you go too far it tends to be a very ugly noise.

It should get a bit louder over time as it breaks in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I agree! Since I have posted this, I have grown to enjoy my exhaust more. I don’t have any interior drone, which is nice. Some people (who are probably not so familiar with cars) have told me it sounds like a V8 with a performance muffler. I’ll take that over a lawnmower-sounding exhaust any day. I definitely enjoy the pops when it upshifts at 5500-6000 rpms, which I wouldn’t even expect from a V6 to begin with. I guess when I put down the 1400 for the Borla, I half-heartedly expected it to sound like a straight-piped SRT (idk what I was thinking). But for a 3.6L, Borla did a good job, and now I’m relatively satisfied.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts