Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, been reading on this forum for couple of months, and just decided to join. I have a 2010 SRT-8 silver I purchased that had minor collision damage to the right front. I say minor because no air bags were deployed no structural damage just outer body panels. I have had a body shop for 30 years now, so I know a little about working on cars. The trouble that I am having is that when I push the button on the dash to start the car everything powers up and works just like it should, but the fuel pump does not come on and so the car just cranks but does not fire since there is no fuel going to the engine. I have checked all of the fuses, relays ect, and all of that is fine. Removed the bottom part of the back seat and do not have any power at the fuel pump plug when in the run mode or when the car is cranking. Sometimes I get something like a 000038 code on the display. It had a viper alarm system on it, and I have removed all of that, so I am fairly sure that is not part of the problem now. I know some ford products have a fuel pump reset that you have to reset after an accident, but did not see anything like that on this car. Any help or ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Call a dealership, talk to one of their techs or the service manager and ask if it's equipped with an inertia-type switch for fuel cutoff. Good luck!

Jack

·
Registered
435 Posts
The fuel pump relay should have 12v power at 2 terminals,the PCM(engine computer) grounds the relay.The PCM needs to see a crank sensor signal (engine cranking) to turn on fuel pump relay.You need a scan tool to check for codes.Does it have spark?The PCM is in the R/front cowl,was it hit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I am going to check the power to those two pins on the fuel pump relay. Where is the crank sensor located on the 6.1? I did not have any damage in the right cowl area the computer and all of that appears to be unharmed. All of the damage is pretty much isolated in the headlight area. If I don't see any thing that looks funny with the crank sensor I will just have to take it in and have it scanned.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks. I am going to check the power to those two pins on the fuel pump relay. Where is the crank sensor located on the 6.1? I did not have any damage in the right cowl area the computer and all of that appears to be unharmed. All of the damage is pretty much isolated in the headlight area. If I don't see any thing that looks funny with the crank sensor I will just have to take it in and have it scanned.
The Crank sensor is on the right side of the engine,behind the starter.Check and see if you have power to the fuel injectors and Ign. coils when cranking.The computer controls the ASD relay(auto shutdown) also.The ASD powers the injectors and ign. coils.

·
Registered
528 Posts
As Rich mentioned, check the fuel pump and auto shutdown relay. The ASD relay is in the TIPM (Front right of engine compartment) in position 21. It uses the same relay as the fan motors, so a quick check would be to use one of the fan motor relays in position 19 or 20.

·
Registered
165 Posts
On the Challenger the FCM has been integrated into the front power distribution Module. These are easily damaged and most of the time when there some odd ball deal happening with the car, replacing it will fix the issue.

One easy way to check is to see if you have power at the supply circuit to the fuel pump relay. That would be fuse 6 located in the rear PDC in the trunk area. Once the key is turned to the start position, see if you have power on either side of that fuse. If you do, swap a couple of the relays around and rule out that (sorry I don't have the correct relay postion on me at the momment).

If that doesn't work for you, replace the front unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts