Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,880 Posts
The exhaust should fit, although there will need to be some cutting and welding done to mate up to the mid pipes I do believe.

I’m not sure about the shaker though. You would need a compatible hood obviously, but I think the throttle body connection on the ‘17 6.4L might be different than the ‘13 5.7L’s, so there could be a hiccup there. That’s really just a guess though, someone who knows for sure will hopefully chime in on this one.

Reactions: Jahgga

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks
The exhaust should fit, although there will need to be some cutting and welding done to mate up to the mid pipes I do believe.

I’m not sure about the shaker though. You would need a compatible hood obviously, but I think the throttle body connection on the ‘17 6.4L might be different than the ‘13 5.7L’s, so there could be a hiccup there. That’s really just a guess though, someone who knows for sure will hopefully chime in on this one.

thanks for answering, helped a lot:) I’ve got mine r/t straight piped with muffler + reso deleted, so have a problem with registering it now, so need to reduce the decibels Little bit

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,880 Posts
thanks

thanks for answering, helped a lot:) I’ve got mine r/t straight piped with muffler + reso deleted, so have a problem with registering it now, so need to reduce the decibels Little bit
no mufflers or resos? Damn, I bet that is obnoxiously loud...badazz sounding for sure, but no doubt too loud for inspection ☹ ?

·
Super Moderator
15,787 Posts
if you have the SRT mid pipes to go along with those SRT shortys - yes they'll fit. The back half of your exhaust will need reducers as the 392 exhaust diameter is 3" and your '13 R/T is small diameter than that.

IIRC, the bracket for the shaker is different from the SRT vs. 5.7 - this is the metal bracket that straddles the intake manifold for the base plate to mount to. You'll need the intake tube for the 5.7 that goes to the airbox. 5.7s come straight out the inlet of the intake vs. the angled 392 intake inlet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you have the SRT mid pipes to go along with those SRT shortys - yes they'll fit. The back half of your exhaust will need reducers as the 392 exhaust diameter is 3" and your '13 R/T is small diameter than that.

IIRC, the bracket for the shaker is different from the SRT vs. 5.7 - this is the metal bracket that straddles the intake manifold for the base plate to mount to. You'll need the intake tube for the 5.7 that goes to the airbox. 5.7s come straight out the inlet of the intake vs. the angled 392 intake inlet
thanks for answering, unfortunately don’t have midpipes, only back half.Understood about shaker - for me for the moment it’s bit a pain in theass, will put it on a shelf for a few months than. Anyway- gonna try to put exhaust somehow :)

·
Super Moderator
15,787 Posts
if you're trying to use your 5.7s pipes - you'd need a reducer from the shortys and the flange position is clocked differently on 5.7 cats vs. any 392 cats would be - so some fabrication would be needed.

otherwise you could be on the lookout for the 392 / SRT mids - look for any '15+ mids as the collector is longer than the '08 - '14 shorty design

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you're trying to use your 5.7s pipes - you'd need a reducer from the shortys and the flange position is clocked differently on 5.7 cats vs. any 392 cats would be - so some fabrication would be needed.

otherwise you could be on the lookout for the 392 / SRT mids - look for any '15+ mids as the collector is longer than the '08 - '14 shorty design
Sorry, information update- yeah, it’s shoulders and mid pipes (with cats?) just I don’t have a chance to check live the parts . So basically - it will work :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you have the SRT mid pipes to go along with those SRT shortys - yes they'll fit.
what about bolt pattern on shoulders, where they are connecting to engine? They would match, if there is bigger diameter ?
And the main question:)- will it reduce the level of the sound?
I guess my questions sound stupid , but this is my first muscle car, first car which I took to repair- got damaged it from auction , putted it back in shape (in my opinion :) ), before that what I knew about the cars - where to put fuel , how to pump the tires and where battery is ( for challenger this knowledge didn’t work- I googled it after trying to find it :))) ) thanks for answers, helping a lot

·
Registered
134 Posts
did this few months back. you willhave a nice rumble on idle and pretty through out the rpm band. I have 2.5 flowmaster cat back and the mids are 2.75, added a reducer and trim the H pipes. could've been easier if i trim the mids but plan on changing the catback to match the mids diameter.

tips since this was never mentioned on any thread i've read for this swap.

the 392 engine is different from 5.7, the 2 bolts on 5.7 is straight toward the side of the car while the 392 is angled towards the front. you will need to cut the rear engine mount bolts to fit the Ex manifold due to the man clamshell. while this is a workaround to complete the install, you now have a new problem. with the stock shorty's clamshell being too spreadout and access to the engine mount bolt/nuts is imposible so you'll need to remove manifold to replace the engine mount if that ever goes bad. I suggest replacing engine mount to 392 if you ever tackle this work.

attached photos of the mids to H pipe. decided to weld a couple of vband for ease of install/removal

Attachments

Reactions: Jahgga

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did the SRT factory shorty headers and mids, along with a Flowmaster 3" cat back exhaust on my '12 R/T last spring, what a huge difference in running, car is much more willing to rev and pull harder than before and no apparent loss of low end due to the exhaust mods that I did. Nice thing is that it doesn't set any O2 codes and will pass an emissions test(did one just for giggles and grins across the river in CA-test only, passed with flying colors).
Was a king-sized BIYATCH to do, took 2 days on a 2 post hoist, thank God for the hoist! End result was what the factory should have done to begin with, and runs and sounds so much better!

·
Registered
134 Posts
cool deal! did you use a gasket in between the shorty and mids? mine has no gasket and im suffocating when i idle in the garage:).

Did the SRT factory shorty headers and mids, along with a Flowmaster 3" cat back exhaust on my '12 R/T last spring, what a huge difference in running, car is much more willing to rev and pull harder than before and no apparent loss of low end due to the exhaust mods that I did. Nice thing is that it doesn't set any O2 codes and will pass an emissions test(did one just for giggles and grins across the river in CA-test only, passed with flying colors).
Was a king-sized BIYATCH to do, took 2 days on a 2 post hoist, thank God for the hoist! End result was what the factory should have done to begin with, and runs and sounds so much better!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts