Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Will the 'Challenger' remain 'True to Concept' ?

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Hemidakota 
#1 ·
……if DCX will stay true to the concept design of the new challenger,assuming the final production model is released?......And if not,…to what areas "specifically" on the car do you believe they will change?

#2 ·
Re: How many folks think……

Vanishing Point said:
……if DCX will stay true to the concept design of the new challenger,assuming the final production model is released?......And if not,…to what areas "specifically" on the car do you believe they will change?

I truely think your looking at the car your going to get!

#4 ·

Hopefully one thing they'll drop is some poundage - that's a beautiful girl but it is a bit on the chubby side at 4160 lbs. I've heard actual production models will be around 3700-3800 lb range - let's hope that's true.

#8 ·

Yankee said:
Hopefully one thing they'll drop is some poundage - that's a beautiful girl but it is a bit on the chubby side at 4160 lbs. I've heard actual production models will be around 3700-3800 lb range - let's hope that's true.
There will be a lot more plastic parts in the production car to make it lighter. I saw some pictures of the undercarrage and I didnt see a gas tank. The concept proably has a fuel cell in the trunk. (anyone seen any open trunk pics?)

With the reaction the concept Challenger has recieved in Detroit and Chicago. DCX would be fools to mess with anything now. I remember the 300c concept getting a big reaction in 2003 and DCX didnt change it.

#13 ·

I think they'll keep it pretty close to the concept: if they want to make it a "Mustang fighter", they gotta go the retro way. It wouldn't make sense to show such a promising retro concept, just to go completely the other way. Not to mention that the concept was looking pretty much like a finished vehicle and not some "pure" concept, like the Camaro, so all in all I think what we saw is what we will get.
This said, I think they'll loose the "Challenger" sign on the rear fender, probably get 17 in. wheels for a V6, 18 in. for the 5.7L V8 and 20s for the 6.1.
As far as the weight is concerned...I don't know...but being a fairly large car, I believe the overall weight ought to be in the Charger category, perhaps a tiny bit less (a dramatic weight loss could only be done by using quite expensive materials, such as aluminum or composite stuff like carbon fiber and I don't see this happening due to cost issues). Probably they'll have more conventional lights in the front.
Inside, I think they'll loose the "telemetry" gauge, I mean they will use it for something else (I think they'll keep the 4 gauges layout, as it's a throwback to the original and everyone seems to love it).
Though the big question for me, as far as what they could change, is concerning the front and rear bumper. In the concept I don't seem to see anything that could be a front and rear bumper and I feel they will have to do something about it.
Overall, it'll still be a phenomenal car !
(Come on DCX...just say you'll build it...I can't stand the wait)

#14 ·

That Challenger emblem on the rear quarter looks kinda Star Wars. I like the old script. I hope it has real dual exhaust, those single 3" with a split do not sound good. The butterflies in the hood scoops are very cool!
Hey VP, have you figured out how to get those on your 70'?
I hope they don't have that stupid antenna on the roof for Sirius or Nav system.

#15 ·

RRHemi said:
That Challenger emblem on the rear quarter looks kinda Star Wars. I like the old script. I hope it has real dual exhaust, those single 3" with a split do not sound good. The butterflies in the hood scoops are very cool!
I hope they don't have that stupid antenna on the roof for Sirius or Nav system.
...My '70 is all stock,and I'm not touchin' her!;) :cool: ....You can better believe that I will delete any option that has any antenna on the roof!!:rolleyes: ....I'm goin' for performance all the way!!!;) :D

#19 ·

RRHemi said:
If DCX doesn't want the fans to yell at them (again) they will make the Challenger a true dual exhaust. The 426 hemis sound like they do in large part because of the dual exhaust. If the 6.1L is a real hemi then prove it.

#22 · (Edited)
Legion 681 Quote:
Though the big question for me, as far as what they could change, is concerning the front and rear bumper. In the concept I don't seem to see anything that could be a front and rear bumper and I feel they will have to do something about it.

This may be a dumb question, but what makes the bumpers of the Challenger any less suitable than the bumpers on the last generation of Camaro/Firebirds?
A few years back I had a 95 Monte Carlo that had nothing that I would realy call a bumper. Other than on pickups, you never actually see what I would call a "real" bumper anymore.

I now have an 01 Dakota, the rear bumper is real but the front end is a joke... just ask those two deer I've killed. If it wasn't for a brushgaurd, I wouldn't still have the truck after the second one!

:confused: Someone please give me a true honest answer about what there has to be to meet these unstated requirements!!

#25 ·
The 'stick-out' bumpers have been done away with to meet Canadian & Euro-spec pedestrian requirements... (If they have to meet these, why bother creating extra bumpers just for US? Means more $).. Supposedly research has found that having those protruding bumpers means more leg injuries to pedestrians in low-speed impacts.. (Apparently people were having their legs broken by being hit at 5mph... lol)
Hence why you never see many protruding bumpers anymore.... flat front means less impact directly on the leg.... hits the whole body instead... as if that's supposed to be better or something... LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.