Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured that the Hellcat (and SRT 392 and R/T Scat Pack) would have 'active' exhaust... Wide open throttle = more sound via butterfly valves opening up. But the following video has me wondering if it will actually have cutouts, because the pre-production R/T Scat Pack in the video clearly has it, controlled by key fob. You can easily hear it 'open up' when he holds the button.

If so, one less thing I need to do to the Hellcat (wire a switch to the fuse for the exhaust). It's looking more and more like I'm getting one, waiting on my dealer to call back with allocation and pricing information. And I won't even need to do anything to it other than tint, and maybe lowering at some point.

Reactions: Rush-2112

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Yes the hellcat does have the active exhaust.it is different from what was shown on the scat pack pre production cars, those had side exhaust dumps which the hellcat does not have. The hellcat has valves in the rear of the exhaust that open or close.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's a bummer, had my hopes up. Oh well, will just have to wire a switch. :)

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
Cut from a Jeep GC SRT. These are pressure controlled (spring on the side), the HC ones are electronically controlled.

Attachments

Reactions: Supercharged_Fun

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be a mopar accessory (for track use only of course...) and they can program our keyfobs to control them.

We can wish right ?!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Cut from a Jeep GC SRT. These are pressure controlled (spring on the side), the HC ones are electronically controlled.
So when you say "electronically controlled",......we have a choice, or setting in the car to leave them open or have them shut?

Haha wow that one definitely had cutouts . That's pretty cool but I can't imagine dodge could get away with having an option to bypass all emissions
I'm guessing it only fails emissions if the dumps are open when you are having the emissions test. So, if they're closed,...you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
So when you say "electronically controlled",......we have a choice, or setting in the car to leave them open or have them shut?

I'm guessing it only fails emissions if the dumps are open when you are having the emissions test. So, if they're closed,...you should be good to go.
The valve in the exhaust opens up at a certain RPM, just like a C6 Corvette. You don't have the option of having it open/close via a button or a change in settings.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
The valve in the exhaust opens up at a certain RPM, just like a C6 Corvette. You don't have the option of having it open/close via a button or a change in settings.
It's electronic. Someone will make a switch just like they did on the Vettes. Or we will take em out! Lol

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But just like on the Corvette, it should be quite easy to either pull the fuse to be open all the time or wire in a switch to control whether the valves are open or not. This is what I plan on doing. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I saw in another video that was taking about that car (Richard Rawlings Gumball car) and the interviewer had the little remote for the dumps and it said "QTP" on the remote, they just installed them on his car, I think he is mistaken when he said they are from the factory.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
I saw in another video that was taking about that car (Richard Rawlings Gumball car) and the interviewer had the little remote for the dumps and it said "QTP" on the remote, they just installed them on his car, I think he is mistaken when he said they are from the factory.
That will be a Scat Pack option, I know it is confusing now that there are factory Scat Pack cars. But the side cut out exhaust kit will be something you can buy from your dealer or order on a new car but would be installed at an upfitter or certain dealers and might be 5.7L only.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
But just like on the Corvette, it should be quite easy to either pull the fuse to be open all the time or wire in a switch to control whether the valves are open or not. This is what I plan on doing. :)
I know they do it with the Corvettes and Camaros.
Does it throw a CEL when you pull the fuse for the valves to be open all the time?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts