Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm saving for a Challenger and I want to get an edition that handles it's weight well because I live near the NC mountains and the Tail of the Dragon. I know the SRT 392 gets the best suspension setup per say, but I'm not very well versed in driving these cars. From the press release of the T/A, it seems that the the package is getting some of the good bits from the Hellcat.

I'm essentially trying to find the best handling muscle car to take to the mountains. Right now the GT350 is getting rave reviews, but if I can get a Challenger that handles nearly just as well, I'll be happy because I like Challengers more. Is the T/A set to compete in the handling focused muscle car bracket or am I barking up the wrong tree?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It's not going to compete with them. They added some cool stuff but SRT/Dodge has not actually set out to design a track car and thus sadly misappropriated the name. I wish the would take the time and pay homage to the T/A properly. Even if it didn't compete with the Z/28, 1LE, or GT350 due to it's size and weight. It would be nice if it did get some track oriendted upgrades along the lines of what Chevy did with the Z/28.

I hope the size of the car never changes but would look forward to whatever weight reductions they can find. I'm a big guy with a big family and thus find myself very happily slotted with the LX/LA family of cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,226 Posts
The T/A 392 gets a new aluminum wheel, not Hellcat and not as light but same size. Also gets the 6-piston Brembos and 275 Pirellis.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
Nope.....4200lb big car is a 4200lb big car no matter what brakes or tires you put on it. Do they handle well? Yes, but not as well as the Camaro or Mustang. Challengers are straight line, street light brawlers with a little cornering ability.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not going to compete with them. They added some cool stuff but SRT/Dodge has not actually set out to design a track car and thus sadly misappropriated the name. I wish the would take the time and pay homage to the T/A properly. Even if it didn't compete with the Z/28, 1LE, or GT350 due to it's size and weight. It would be nice if it did get some track oriendted upgrades along the lines of what Chevy did with the Z/28.

I hope the size of the car never changes but would look forward to whatever weight reductions they can find. I'm a big guy with a big family and thus find myself very happily slotted with the LX/LA family of cars.
That's awesome that carseats fit in the back! That means I could keep the car for a long time, unlike the Mustang and Camaro.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,915 Posts
The T/A 392 gets a new aluminum wheel, not Hellcat and not as light but same size. Also gets the 6-piston Brembos and 275 Pirellis.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Can't say that I'm a fan of this design wheel.

That said, it'll be easier to pull off, and slam back on with those built in handles. LOL

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Actually it's not getting anything from the Hellcat,but stuff from the Scat Pack.
That's not true. The T/A is getting a few Hellcat parts such as intake and 6 piston brakes but also getting dual Hellcat style intakes which, as of now, the Hellcat doesn't even have.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No matter the iteration, the Camaro and Mustang are different animals than the Challenger. Lighter, smaller, and more focused on sports car virtues than the Challenger is.

If more interior/trunk space, and subjectively the nicest looking design don't mean as much to you as the best corner carving abilities, than I'd say the Challenger is not for you.

I'm humble enough to say that despite being a pretty capable driver, I know I am not skilled enough to wring all the ability out of my Scat Pack, let lone a GT350. Moreover, on a doing so on a public road where the margin of error of going over a double yellow and taking a family in a minivan out is something I would never risk. So unless I'm tacking a car, to me it's a bit of a mute point.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
As much as I'd love to see Dodge really run with the T/A name and make a true hardcore track car, I don't disagree with what they're doing here. They're trying to sell cars, and playing off the heritage has worked very well for them. They're pushing the idea that the Challenger T/A (And Charger Daytona) are track capable but also practical comfortable GT cars. That's exactly what they are. Can they corner? Yes, quite well actually, but within the limitations of a street tire.

Sure If you run a T/A 392 vs a GT350R vs a Z/28 at Laguna Seca, all on factory tires and Randy Pobst behind the wheel, the T/A 392 would be last place by more than a couple of seconds. But that takes a pro driver who has years of experience and can ride on the ragged edge of each car's limitations. When you go to a local track day or autocross, with average Joes like us showing up to compete, the large Mopars hold their own. As it's been proven on this forum: With the right tires and the driver mod, our cars can be very competitive in the twisty stuff. You just have to be up to the task.

For that reason, I still think the T/A and Daytona are great. I'd be driving a T/A right now if I didn't have a Scat Pack.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Tail of the Dragon? Good luck finding a stretch of that road clear enough to go faster than 30mph. Between the police and the crotch rockets it's just damn tough to get up enough speed to really enjoy the Dragon.

Fornutately, there are a number of great roads in that part of the country where most Challengers will excel on and provide plenty of thrills without kissing a tree or meeting the bottom of a ditch. In the end, no matter what you drive, every vehicle has limits. Are you more concerned with the 1% of the time where you're pushing a winding road or the other 99% where you're enjoying everything else that a Challenger has to offer?

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I'm humble enough to say that despite being a pretty capable driver, I know I am not skilled enough to wring all the ability out of my Scat Pack, let lone a GT350. Moreover, on a doing so on a public road where the margin of error of going over a double yellow and taking a family in a minivan out is something I would never risk. So unless I'm tacking a car, to me it's a bit of a mute point.

Nailed it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Nope, not even in the same class. The T/A would not come close to a SS. Hopefully Dodge will change that next year and build a specific track car. We know they are building a super Hellcat and maybe even a track car.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
607 Posts
The T/A is just another Dodge with a sticker package - nothing to make it exceptionally twisty-track ready. I had some hope after the stripped down SRT Cores...but nope.

I don't know what's more disappointing - the Challenger T/A or Wrangler Dragon.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Agree 100%

·
Registered
835 Posts
The T/A is just another Dodge with a sticker package - nothing to make it exceptionally twisty-track ready. I had some hope after the stripped down SRT Cores...but nope.

I don't know what's more disappointing - the Challenger T/A or Wrangler Dragon.
I don't totally dis-agree, but would like to make a few points.

The new T/A pays homage to the 1970 model.

The original T/A was no more a race car/track car than the new one. I'm sure some people, at the time, thought that it also was just another sticker package. (even though it came with the biggest brakes and wheel/ tire combo at the time, heavy-duty suspension, and a cold air intake) The "6 pack" carb package was only used on the street, the stock side exit exhaust looked cool, but was dumped for a racing exhaust on the track, and the engine was de-stroked to meet the 5.0 liter requirements for racing. The only real "trick "part was the special engine block. Everything else was pulled off the Dodge parts shelve, just like the new ones.

IMHO, I think Dodge has done a pretty good job with the new T/A 392. I also think they did a pretty good job with the original 1970 T/A.

Both are/where built with the best parts that Dodge had readily available to them.

Both are great street/performance cars.

Neither are track/race cars.

All three of the cars the OP has listed are extremely capable. On the STREET (tail of the Dragon, twisty roads ) I'm not sure "the average Joe"(as BlackHemi41 stated, and including myself) can push them hard enough to see a clear advantage of one over the other. It is all about the driver and personal preference.

On the track, I will concede that the Mustang and the Camaro look to have a clear advantage.....but that was not what the OP asked.

Hopefully Yahooligan and wasp392 will chime in as they (and others) have tracked and street driven their cars. I would love to hear how many times they felt their Challengers were at a disadvantage (handling wise) on the STREET.

Reactions: Camden Massey
1 - 20 of 39 Posts