Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't help but notice that GM and Ford (and of course, BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes etc.) have apps that allow you to unlock your doors, remote-start, etc. The 2015 Challengers will have the option to use the vehicle as a wi-fi hotspot. It definitely has a live internet connection, just like the others. Does anyone with information know if Dodge will finally release an app that is comparable to the other of the big 3? We get the new touch screen, and endless options on the inside. What about this one? Can we have an app that controls active exhaust? RS, you know anything?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't want to be able to start or unlock my car over the internet. Same thing with turning ton the lights at home, or changing the thermostat, or unlocking it. I figure if I can do it, so can somebody else, and he might not have my best interests at heart.

But hey, I'm an old fart!

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
Enough of a this technology, we are getting too reliant on it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm all for gadgets that can assist other than conditions other than having to "think" while driving. Cars that brake, parallel park, gets you back in your own lane, pace the vehicle in front of you while on cruise control and 100's of other stuff takes away situational awareness from those that actually "need" it the most.

Back in the day we survived by knowing "how to" when driving. Might be sooner than we think before we won't have to drive at all.. just hop in!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Coming soon, driver app.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yea...I don't trust it. If it can be coded, it can be hacked.

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
The more the car does so you don't have to, makes you a more dangerous driver.
You become so reliant that when you rent or borrow a car without it you're in a bad situation.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm all for gadgets that can assist other than conditions other than having to "think" while driving. Cars that brake, parallel park, gets you back in your own lane, pace the vehicle in front of you while on cruise control and 100's of other stuff takes away situational awareness from those that actually "need" it the most.

Back in the day we survived by knowing "how to" when driving. Might be sooner than we think before we won't have to drive at all.. just hop in!
I agree with this, but I wonder which is the horse and which is the cart. Are we losing the ability to drive because of technology, or are we creating the technology because we're un-learning how to drive?

The other thought I have is that a lot of this, like lane-change warnings, adaptive cruise control, self-braking, all seem to be things that compensate for distracted driving. At the same time, we're putting more and more controls on touch screens that need to be fiddled with, where you have to go through multiple screens, taking your eyes off the road for several seconds just to change the temperature of the ventilation. Technology is CAUSING the very things it's also CURING, or at least compensating for.

I'll stick with knobs and buttons, and paying attention to the road, watching my mirrors, etc.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I agree with this, but I wonder which is the horse and which is the cart. Are we losing the ability to drive because of technology, or are we creating the technology because we're un-learning how to drive?

The other thought I have is that a lot of this, like lane-change warnings, adaptive cruise control, self-braking, all seem to be things that compensate for distracted driving. At the same time, we're putting more and more controls on touch screens that need to be fiddled with, where you have to go through multiple screens, taking your eyes off the road for several seconds just to change the temperature of the ventilation. Technology is CAUSING the very things it's also CURING, or at least compensating for.

I'll stick with knobs and buttons, and paying attention to the road, watching my mirrors, etc.
Personally, I think the disinterest in driving has led to the technology. My best guess is that it started in the late 1970's with the marked increase of passionless "commuter" cars that changed the Automotive Landscape from a popular past-time for most men (not being sexist, but back in the day, that's how it was) to looking at cars as nothing more than Transportation Appliances.

That was followed by two decades where where there were no Domestic Performance Cars to illicit the desire to learn performance driving, and to cultivate the passion for it.

There have been numerous articles about todays youth and their complete disinterest in even learning how to drive. That makes me sad.

The upside to this, is as the Baby Boomers age and lose their licenses, there's a smaller customer base for the older muscle and classic cars they kept on the road, so we may see prices decrease on classic cars (Car & Driver did a study on this several months back).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yea...I don't trust it. If it can be coded, it can be hacked.
what he said! After 32 years in the IT field I have 2 rules:

1. Don't trust Technology
2. If this stuff really worked, you wouldn't need us IT guys!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what he said! After 32 years in the IT field I have 2 rules:

1. Don't trust Technology
2. If this stuff really worked, you wouldn't need us IT guys!
Here here! Personally I'm a System Security Engineer, i.e. "the guy that stops them from hacking your stuff".

If people weren't trying to hack it, I wouldn't be employed. However, I'd still like an app that lets me unlock my doors, etc. This technology is proven, and relatively secure (even the aftermarket units can do this now). I personally love technology (to a point. I simply cannot imagine ever purchasing a car that drives itself, and FWIW I DO know how to parallel park :burnout:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
The upside to this, is as the Baby Boomers age and lose their licenses........
Geeeezzzzz I don't even wanna think about that day.....

Carry On !

·
Registered
398 Posts
Geeeezzzzz I don't even wanna think about that day.....

Carry On !
My Dad only stopped driving 2 years ago at the age of 94, so I figure I have another 38 years......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.