Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serious question- buying in May
I don't want your political opinions, just need to know if tariffs would increase the price of Canadian made Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
It could happen. Canadian Prime Minster Justin Trudeau told reporters that Canada would move forward on July 1 with retaliatory tariffs to answer President Trump's tariffs on aluminum and steel that were "unjustly applied to us." He further stated that "we will not be pushed around."

I think that the tariffs could affect even vehicles assembled in the U.S. because supply chains crisscross international borders and all the major brands use a variety of parts sourced from abroad. As an example, did you know that our Hemi engines are made in Saltillo, Mexico and then shipped, by rail, to Brampton, Ontario (Canada)? See 26.30 minute mark of the following video.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Don't worry, I'm sure you still won't have to pay as much for the Canadian-built car as Canadians do.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It absolutely will affect car prices across the board. It isn't just the assembly plants that get hurt, it is the parts suppliers as well. It will affect all cars, made in the US and Canada.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,728 Posts
It doesn't much matter to me, because I already have 2 Challengers that I intend to keep. The concept is to refire US forges to create jobs. If it works, look for the sequel to Flashdance... >:)

·
Registered
537 Posts
It could happen. Canadian Prime Minster Justin Trudeau told reporters that Canada would move forward on July 1 with retaliatory tariffs to answer President Trump's tariffs on aluminum and steel that were "unjustly applied to us." He further stated that "we will not be pushed around."

I think that the tariffs could affect even vehicles assembled in the U.S. because supply chains crisscross international borders and all the major brands use a variety of parts sourced from abroad. As an example, did you know that our Hemi engines are made in Saltillo, Mexico and then shipped, by rail, to Brampton, Ontario (Canada)?
I remember reading somewhere that only the 5.7Ls were made in Saltillo and that the 6.4Ls were made somewhere in the USA, can't remember the state. Anyway, I could be wrong... :|

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
All V8s are made in Mexico, only some of the V6s are made in the USA but the tariffs also apply to internal engine parts or anything using and aluminum so costs will go up If we make the parts here. Believe FCA only has about $1500 in each 5.7L so engine costs shouldn't be that much more but it's a definite trickle down.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
25 cents is 25 cents and some if not all of it will be passed on to the customer. May take time as supplies being used today in plants are probably on orders and contracts made a while ago. I would think it would take 6 maybe 12 months to start feeling it on certain things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Will Trump canada tariff affect challenger MSRP

From all the info im reading this tariff will include us companies in canada selling product back into the us, and we all know where our challengers were born.Im sure this tariff is not sitting well with the bean counters at FCA.
Thoughts

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Honestly, we're at the beginning of this trade war "battle", so none of us have any idea of what could/will happen.

Anything could happen, and anything can be negotiated. It's just too early to tell with any certainty. This "dance" over trade has just started. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Maybe for the short term a price hike. But like all the other issues of the day, there's more than one step to the dance. What is said today is not going to be the end result. I expect there will be this back and forth play but in the near future things will settle out to a more equitable deal between both Countries. It's simply just a matter of trade partners realizing we no longer have a "kick me" sign on our Country.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Maybe for the short term a price hike. But like all the other issues of the day, there's more than one step to the dance. What is said today is not going to be the end result. I expect there will be this back and forth play but in the near future things will settle out to a more equitable deal between both Countries. It's simply just a matter of trade partners realizing we no longer have a "kick me" sign on our Country.
Yep! Short term growing pains if anything... Also heard a while back at worst $200. per car.
IF it all happens. I got $200 I'd gladly pay to stop getting screwed as a Country.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm a little disappointed that he's picking a trade fight with Canada, they're nowhere close to the main culprit of our trade problems. If I'm not mistaken, they raised the dairy tariff because Trump started a fight about lumber tariffs some months back. And a trade deficit is really not all THAT meaningful, all it means is that our country buys more of their stuff than their country buys of our's. We're still making money by exporting goods and saving money by importing them, it's not like they're stealing from us. The reason we import more than we export with a lot of these nations is because their goods are usually cheaper.

That being said, there can be some policy decisions on the part of the other country that can contribute to this, such as tariffs on their end or restrictions on foreign company manufacturing or foreign direct investment (*cough* China *cough*). If we want to impose tariffs of our own as a temporary tactic used as a negotiating tool, that's one thing. Ostensibly, we're *supposed* to have totally free trade with Canada and he says he likes free trade. But Trump seems to be a fan of tariffs in and of themselves, as if they somehow make us stronger than free trade. He keeps contradicting himself on this point.

I also get that we don't want other nations undercutting our most vital national industries, like steel, petroleum, information technology, agriculture, etc. (which he's absolutely correct about and I'm glad he's trying to do something), but there are much better ways to make our industries more competitive on the international stage that don't involve hurting consumers, or U.S. companies that are dependent on importing certain things for their products to keep costs down.

Anyways, I didn't mean to digress that far into economic politics but I thought the point should be made. As for how it's going to play out, I don't see Trump getting too serious or extreme about the tariffs. His economic advisor, Larry Kudlow, is a free trade guy who sees them as a negotiating tactic, and they both have to know we import a lot from Canada and therefore know they can't get too crazy with the rates, so the prices of our cars probably won't be affected too much, and not for too long.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Honestly, we're at the beginning of this trade war "battle", so none of us have any idea of what could/will happen.

Anything could happen, and anything can be negotiated. It's just too early to tell with any certainty. This "dance" over trade has just started. LOL
Agreed. Trump by his nature is unpredictable, we'll just have to see how this plays out. Thankful that I'm not planning on buying for at least a year.

·
Registered
463 Posts
They need to get the NAFTA agreement finalized and get off this tariff crap. Tariffs will raise the price of all cars no matter where they are made and a lot of other goods as well. Tariffs will also affect the parts suppliers, not just the assembly plants.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nobody wins a trade war.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
In the end.....pretty soon I hope, we'll get a better shake economically. Whatever is fair...

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
I'm a little disappointed that he's picking a trade fight with Canada, they're nowhere close to the main culprit of our trade problems. If I'm not mistaken, they raised the dairy tariff because Trump started a fight about lumber tariffs some months back. And a trade deficit is really not all THAT meaningful, all it means is that our country buys more of their stuff than their country buys of our's. We're still making money by exporting goods and saving money by importing them, it's not like they're stealing from us. The reason we import more than we export with a lot of these nations is because their goods are usually cheaper.

I thought so to at first as I live 15mins from Canada. But the more I thought about it, its more about the art of the deal than anything. You can come to the table and negotiate with a bunch of yeah buts and exemptions. SO in other words you want a better deal with the chinas of the world, but you've already given a great deal or exemption to Canada as that degrades your position with China. Trump will settle with china, probably not what we want or is 50/50 but is much better than what we have now, and probably back off Canada as well as others. Trumps antics aside and his politics, I am actually refreshed that hes getting at some core issues that past leaders have either refused/or couldn't do.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts