Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its nice to see a 15HP bump with the 392 to 485, just another 15HP more and you get into the 500 club. Think they will be able to do it? How did they get 485 out of the 392 this round without sacrificing torque? Maybe the electronic steering helped? Revised intake? Or is it from the 8 speed?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Sure wish they would tell us where they found the few extra ponies. In earlier posts we guessed the electric steering and the fact that they rate hp at 100 rpms higher than before, which is kind of some old school trickery.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
yup different rpm, different dyno. why worry about 15 hp

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
most people couldnt feel a 15 or 25 hps gain ever!!!! the difference is minimal, in a blind test most would never know
Luke
True to a point, if you already have 470 your not going to notice 15 more, however I did a cam/spring change to a anemic 170HP 305 Chevy and it was supposed to add about 25HP, it made a big difference!!!

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
I'd bet the extra 15 HP came from the active exhaust and slight tuning tweaks. It's likely at maximum RPM where a free flowing exhaust really helps.

I don't think you will be able to tell the difference in every day driving comparing the 2014 392 and the 2015 392.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its not about the actual HP, as each engine is going to be different, its about bragging right :D

SAE tests all accessories so i was guessing the electronic steering helped, but the R/T didn't get any bump at all when it got the upgraded steering so it looks like mostly tuning and exhaust.

·
Registered
314 Posts
15 hp probably wouldn't be difficult at all, except for emissions. Emissions goals are likely far harder to achieve than power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts