Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 SXT, Owned since new, 65K miles.
As the title states. When you Open the driver’s door, window drops down. Upon closing does not automatically go back up.

I have tried the putting down the window, and holding the switch down reset thing multiple times with no results.

is there a sensor something that needs to be replaced? Any other ideas? Cant figure out what else it could be.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
It does go all the way up if you do it manually? There is a switch/sensor that detects position if I remember correctly

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
It sounds like a defective "Smart Glass" switch to me. I remember changing out a few of those. I believe that switch is only available with the door latch assembly now, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
2012 SXT, Owned since new, 65K miles.
As the title states. When you Open the driver’s door, window drops down. Upon closing does not automatically go back up.

I have tried the putting down the window, and holding the switch down reset thing multiple times with no results.

is there a sensor something that needs to be replaced? Any other ideas? Cant figure out what else it could be.
Thanks
With the door closed and the window all the way up when you pull on either handle the window should drop. This is a sign the door handle switch is working.

If you do not pull hard enough to open the door but instead release the handle the window should go back up. This is a sign the door latch switch is working.

If you open the door the window should stay down. Another sign the door latch switch is working.

When you close the door the window should go back up. More evidence the door latch switch is working.

Thus based on what you posted I'd hazard a guess the door latch switch is bad.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does go all the way up if you do it manually? There is a switch/sensor that detects position if I remember correctly

A Guy
Yes when actuating the switch in goes fully up and down.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger Rt
550 Posts
Don’t ask me why. But did you disconnect the battery at all? When I don’t drive mine I take the battery off for weeks at a time and my windows will do this. Takes them a time or two to get back into sync.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When the battery is disconnected, the door modules have to relearn the up and down stop positions. If one side is working normally and the other is not, it is more likely to be a problem on the switch or latch assembly. I hope this helps.
In

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,094 Posts
At a minimum, disconnecting the battery shouldn’t hurt anything. May not fix it I know. But it is a simple step to further focus in on the culprit. You’ll never know if you don’t try it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
If you disconnect the battery, make sure the window is full up when you do

A Guy

Reactions: btcaub

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
8 years with any Dodge......if this is your most serious problem so far......Congrats!!

That's what I call a WIN!!(y)

A reset of this module should be possible, assuming it hasn't STB entirely. When it comes to something like this that is more of an annoyance than anything that really requires a fast fix. I'll usually stop by at my local dealer and just bend an ear. The service guys should be willing to talk for free, especially if you bought this car or others from them in the past. If there is an easy reset or something stupid/silly that happens they've probably seen it before and can tell you what to try first before pulling things apart or spending $ to have a mechanic do it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you disconnect the battery, make sure the window is full up when you do

A Guy
Yeah, that's good advise and with a little luck it might even lead to a "solution". Funny thing with cars and all the electronic "systems" that so often behave like a pretty typical desk top or lap top computer. Disconnecting all power or pulling the fuse on something that is acting up or not working correctly can force a "re-boot" and fix the problem. It won't explain why it happened and it may or may not be any kind of permanent fix but sometimes it works. It certainly doesn't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
It sounds like a defective "Smart Glass" switch to me. I remember changing out a few of those. I believe that switch is only available with the door latch assembly now, but I may be wrong.
I had this same thing happen a few months ago. It ended up being the smart glass switch. As Charles 236 stated, you can’t get just the switch because of a recall for certain model years. Gotta love Dodge.... Cant get the cheap switch because of a recall on this for the 2011 MY (I believe that is the year). So you have to get the whole latch assembly. Regardless it was a fairly quick and easy process replacing the entire assembly.

Best of luck...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah, it was about that time that it was a recall. When the recall came out, we could get just the Smart Glass switch. Later, the switch was available only with the latch assembly.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks,
I had this same thing happen a few months ago. It ended up being the smart glass switch. As Charles 236 stated, you can’t get just the switch because of a recall for certain model years.
Thanks about how much did it cost to replace? Did you replace it yourself or have to take it in?

8 years with any Dodge......if this is your most serious problem so far......Congrats!!

That's what I call a WIN!!(y)
Not my only issue, never said that....just the latest one.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
Thanks about how much did it cost to replace? Did you replace it yourself or have to take it in?
I ordered the door latch through Steve White Motors (Search Results | Steve White Parts). The link should go straight to the part. Be sure to select the correct one, right side or left side. It was the cheapest price I found and you can use promo code CHA1. Plus I try to use Steve White whenever feasible.

I did replace it myself. It was that difficult. There are some videos on YouTube, not the greatest but will give you what you need. I also recently purchased the hard copy Chiltons or Haynes, whichever it is, repair manual that helped as well. I found that on Amazon. The whole job was maybe 20 minutes. The most difficult part is removing the door panel. Which you will need replacement push pins for. I have a container of assorted push pins that I bought a while ago, also from Amazon.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions or any concerns let me know.

Reactions: Dennis H and btcaub

·
Registered
1 Posts

A Guy
As anyone of any issues with the 2018 Dodge Challenger model on this door lock switch? My son's passenger door started having issues with it doing all of these things mentioned here.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My experience may be an anomaly but after being very frustrated and having the window cycling drain the battery twice, I stumbled upon this.
Roll window up, leave door open, with your foot OFF the brake, cycle start push to start switch to accessory then on, then back to off and close the door. I do this every day and no idea why but it has stopped.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Door module, little computer in the door that lets the window "drop" a little bit to open. Re-calibrate or replace

1 - 20 of 20 Posts