Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the same issue with the smart glass and have had the door latch replaced and a new battery put in. The window still does the twitching thing about once a week and then my battery goes dead. So what else would be causing this to happen?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the vehicle isn’t subject to a recall for the door handles?

My 2011 had to have the door handles replaced under recall right after I got it, and it wouldn’t be a stretch to believe the 2012 year models had the same issues that initiated the recall

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
Yes they say its not.
Get the details on the handle recall and see if your car is manifesting the behavior the recall addresses. If it is you could use this to argue the car does qualify to have this addressed under the recall.

My 2nd hand knowledge is the cut off for cars that qualify for a recall and those that do not can have some fuzziness. Cars built before the recall applies may have had the problem component installed and cars built during the recall period may not have had the problem component installed.

Even if your car is not covered at least you know what the recall calls for to address the problem. Then you can decide if you want to have a dealer or you throw the recall fix at the symptoms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did have the latch replaced and the car still dies after a few days and before it days the window flickers up and down again and then the next day the car is dead. I have also had the battery replaced and the bendor acutator because it was clicking too

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
I did have the latch replaced and the car still dies after a few days and before it days the window flickers up and down again and then the next day the car is dead. I have also had the battery replaced and the bendor acutator because it was clicking too
My cars doing the same thing rn and none of the reset procedures are working. Very frustrating

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
I have the same issue with the smart glass and have had the door latch replaced and a new battery put in. The window still does the twitching thing about once a week and then my battery goes dead. So what else would be causing this to happen?
The way it was explained and demonstrated to me -- this with another car -- is if one pulls the handle (either handle) the window should drop. This a sign the door handle switch is working.

If the handle is released without opening the door the window should go up. This is a sign the door latch switch is working.

If the door handle is pulled hard enough to open the door and the handle is released the window should stay down. This is a sign the door latch switch is working. And when the door is closed the window should go up again. More proof the door latch switch is working.

In the case of one car some or all of the above was not happening. Another symptom was the doors would lock on their own as I was pulling out.

Took the car in and the tech checked for error codes to see if the problem might be elsewhere other than the suspected door lock controller. He said the door lock controller was the most expensive component that could play a role in the odd behavior. There were no error codes pointing to something else so he replaced the door lock controller.

Afterwards with the new door lock controller the window dropped when it should, stayed down, and went back up when it should. Other odd symptoms disappeared.

Some time later -- months and months and not connected in any way to the replacement of the door lock controller -- the driver side window was more twitching when I opened the door rather than dropping smartly. Also, as I lowered and raised the window I noticed the window had some extra movement.

Took the car in and the tech diagnosed the problem as a bad window regulator. When he went to remove the regulator it just fell apart as he was taking it out of the door. The thing had simply worn out. At some point the other door required a new window regulator, too.

Should someone be inclined to get inside the door and try to fix the problem I have to caution you there is probably a "membrane" that seals the wet side of the door from the dry side. If this membrane is present it is critical it remain intact.

While one might be inclined to try to just reglue this or even discard it this can lead to water getting in the drive side of the door. And that can and will lead to electrical gremlins at first associated with the door lock and window behavior but if left unaddressed will start to manifest electrical gremlins in other areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts