Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got my windows tinted yesterday and noticed a problem. The drivers side does not seem to be going up correctly, leaving a pretty wide gap compared to the passenger side. It looks almost as if the front of the window is full up before the back side. I have read some posts where the window can get off the tracks, has anyone seen something like this before? I really don't want to take it to the dealership because I am sure they will say the tinting caused the issue, also I cannot mess with rolling the window full down and up for a couple days...it's killing me!

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
I recently got my windows tinted and I didnt'have this issue. I've never seen anything like this before. Hopefully once the tint cures you can roll down the window and maybe it will fix itself.

·
Registered
402 Posts
...once the tint cures you can roll down the window and maybe it will fix itself.
/\ this /\

If it doesn't, just tell the dealer it was doing it before the tint - if they give you any flak (seems like it should be a fairly quick/easy fix), maybe try another dealer. Alternatively, just buy a set of interior panel popping tool's ($14?) and have a looksie yourself maybe.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I can't see the pictures very well, are you saying that the window is going up crooked, that the front is hitting before the back? If so, that certainly sounds like something other than tint. I've had the windows tinted in about 15 different cars, and it's never been strong enough to cause any kind of window operation problem.

Just a question, but when they did the tint did they happen to remove the door panels? When you disconnect the window switches, something odd happens and the windows don't work correctly - there is actually a reset procedure you have to go through. I had Dynamat installed in my doors when I had my amp installed, the windows wouldn't go all the way up or down until I did the reset - since then they've worked fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah took the photo's with my iPhone, not the best quality (sorry Apple). Yes it is coming up crooked from what I can see, I am not sure if or why they would take the door panels off to do the tint, dropped it off. I don't believe this was an issue prior to the tint as I washed my car last weekend and would have noticed this issue at that time. I did hear a crunch noise not too long ago when rolling up my window, like it was trying to go up too far. I had checked out the post with the reset like you are referring and will attempt that once the tint is cured. I believe it is to roll all the way down and hold button for 3 second, then up and hold for 3 seconds. I will post back any resolution that will occur, thanks for the comments so far.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't believe this was an issue prior to the tint...
Ah, in that case, I retract my previous statement of taking it to the dealer & telling them it was happening before the tint. I'd tell the tint shop to fix it. They broke it, they fix it. They've probably seen it before. If it's just off track, pretty easy fix - done it twice myself, not very mechanically inclined either.

Funny story I'll relay on that, got home one day, had the dogs in the back of the car (Trailblazer). Turn off the car, then I hear one of them yelping... look back and the window is actively choking her (head out the window). I panic, fumble with the controls for a sec to no avail, cut the engine, jump out, superman strength - pull the window out of it's track to free my poor pooch from the possessed demon window. Afterwards, came to the silly realization, it was not, in fact, the minions of hell fiddling with the electrical system, but that she was standing on the window up switch & I had neglected to hit the lock out switch.

No worse for wear, both window & dog are back on friendly terms. Window popped right back in the track with a little manhandling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys. After some careful thought I took it to the dealer and they took care of it for me. I don't believe it was the tint that did this, rather I only noticed once the tint was on. I do remember when washing the car seeing some water beads on the inside of the window so I believe this had to be an issue prior. All is well again and I once again have the perfect car!

·
Registered
166 Posts
my window has gone and done the same thing...driver's side. I took a trip to south Texas for the Texas mile...and low n behold, son of a gun doesn't want to go up while driving about 55 or 60. the first pic you posted looks almost the exact same as mine does right now. I guess i'll mosey on over to the dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think it is a pretty easy fix, though it requires taking the door panel off (right tools required). Pro Dodge here in Denver hooked me up good and my suspicion of the dealership has been eased.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....it's a moot point now, but I would question what the installers did when they applied the tint. Think about it.... They had to do something to keep the window from moving down partially as you open the door or found a way to get around that. ….and I doubt they would have been able to (or wanted to) install the film while the doors were closed. Personally, I think they disconnected the battery or the pulled the panel off as mentioned (disconnecting the switch, etc. in the process). I recall a procedure being posted in these forums to recalibrate the windows in the event they act up like this.

·
Registered
402 Posts
They had to do something to keep the window from moving down partially as you open the door or found a way to get around that.
Actually just had mine done. With the door open, watched the girl flip the door latch down with a screwdriver - window went right up. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just had my windows tinted and the guy said the rear defroster lines are thicker than normal and may show up more. Did anyone else have this problem? He was telling me it was an aftermarket window, I told him no, had it since new with 20 miles on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The guy that did mine did not mention anything about the rear defrost. I did ask him prior to working on it how the tint would stand up to it though and he said it should not be a problem. I believe the brand on my car is charcool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts