Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hard plastic trim in front of the window on both of my doors has cracked in multiple places.

Does Steve White or anybody else know the part number so I can order them and have the dealer put them in while my front lip is getting fixed?

Pic attached.

Thanks,

William

PS: Happy Easter for those celebrating! :guiness:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,623 Posts
p/n #68071960AA Molding - Door Belt

Door panel is removed to R & R the part - molding is stapled into place.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
The plastic window molding strips only cost about $10 can can be ordered from your dealer's Parts Dept.

As an alternative to the time consuming task of removing the door panel, you can remove the molding by simply prying it in an upward motion, using an interior trim tool ($5.99 a set at Harbor Freight), to pop the small staples. (They come out real easy). Then, you just slide the new molding into place- it is a force fit. Now, since it is not rigidly held in place, it should not crack again. However, if you want to make it more secure (not necessary), you can glue the plastic molding into place with E6000 flexible adhesive. This process only took me about 3 minutes. There is absolutely no need to go to the dealer (unless under warranty), or to take the door panel off!

See the following photos:

1. Original window molding (note small staples).
2. Parts number for new molding.
3. Interior trim pry bar (nylon) tool.
4. E6000 adhesive (can be purchased at any craft store, like Michaels).

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
This happened to the passenger door on my car too. I looked all over for signs of an attempted break in, but finally figured it must have broke on its own.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
They do break on their own; and not always in the same place on every car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
p/n #68071960AA Molding - Door Belt

Door panel is removed to R & R the part - molding is stapled into place.
Ordered the part and gave thanks.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
It is a known issue on challengers. Mine cracked on each side and dealership replaced it for free, hasn't cracked since. While getting mine fixed I walked around the dealership and found 3 new challengers with the trim cracked. Your dealership should know of this issue and fix it for free.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
it isn't hard to do.. take the panel off so you can work on it.. much easier.. i did mine not hard at all. don't RESTAPLE THEM. they press fit on the lip of the door.. once you get it side to side like you like pull back both ends. take a dab of either super glue ( THICK ) or like some silicone adhesive and put a dab at both ends and the middle.. done
it won't move. put it back together and call it a day.

really it is not big deal

Reactions: btcm

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Both of mine cracked awhile ago. The dealer replaced them. Now the passenger side is cracked again. Inferior materials.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
i think part of the reason they crack is they staple them.. they need to float a little when the window moves.. the staples don't allow any movement at all so i think that is the main reason they crack.. and the fact their plastic is crap lol

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
130 Posts
The piece on my drivers' side is cracked, but I have learned to ignore it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
It's an easy fix. Search on YouTube for a video that details Challenger door panel removal. Next, buy some rubber or flexible glue and use that to secure the new trim piece. The flexible glue should allow the plastic to expand/contract without breaking.

The parts themselves are only $10 or so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts