Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Considering having the windows tinted on my WB Scat R/T. Did a search but all the answers were several years old.

Just a couple questions for those who have had thier windows tinted:
Are you glad you had it done?
Just the side windows or back window also?
Anything on the front?
How dark do you go?
Are there better manufactures than others?
How will it look 2, 3, 4 years from now?
Can it be removed?

Thanks for your time, I never had windows tinted before.

BTW: back in the 70s I got a can of spray on window tint from JC Witney I put on my 67 Dart. You sprayed it on thick on the top of the window and let it drip down until covering the entire window. It actually worked but scratched very easy.

Im sure things have improved since then.

Varooom

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,403 Posts
I've had mine tinted at 35% (max legal here) for 9 years. Did all windows except the windshield. I popped for the lifetime warranty and they replaced the passenger door one two years ago for scratches and the rear last year for bubbles.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,330 Posts
We had Ruby's windows tinted using 3M Crystalline. It's supposedly the best window tint available to help with keeping the heat out. It does work. It does cost a bit more than some tints, but it does work as advertised.

We got the CR40, but they've since come out with CR 20 which gives better glare resistance than ours and 2% better heat rejection.

If going this route though, make sure that you find a good installer because from what I read, it's tougher to install because it doesn't stretch as easily as some other tints. 3M has an installer directory on their site if you decide to go this route.

I"ve been thinking of going back and getting a lighter tint (CR 50) on the windshield because it would be hardly noticeable (no problems with LEO's and tickets).

As far as taking it off. You can but the hardest thing I'd think would be the rear window because of the defroster grid lines, but that's just a guess.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
Are you glad you had it done? 100%, scheduled even before the car arrived ;)

Just the side windows or back window also? All sides and back window

Anything on the front? Nothing on the front, laws vary by state. Most allow a certain width strip at top. They do make clear tint if you want the heat/UV rejection. Few tint the front, mostly illegal, lol

How dark do you go? I went 45% all sides, 18% back. Many go darker, darker does look good, but illegal most places. I think so dark cops can't see you isn't good personally, even if the black looks great. California 70% sides is legal...our cars come with tinted windows from factory that are 70%, so any tint added is illegal, but most seem to go 35% here and most have no issues

Are there better manufactures than others? For sure, get one of the big boys, SunTek, 3M, LLumar, Huper Optik

How will it look 2, 3, 4 years from now? I had tint on my last car 21 years, it looked like the day it was installed. Having a quality shop install quality tint is the key. All that bubbled, purple tint you see is likely owner installed garbage

Can it be removed? It can if needed

Go for it! Google Best Car Window Tinting (Your zip code) You'll likely have yelp come up first, see who gets consistent high ratings

I have SunTek CXP Carbon tint. 45% sides, 18% back. Looking out the back you forget it's tinted, so it's not like a limo or anything

Tint laws by state

A Guy

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Yep, had my car tinted before delivery. All sides and rear at legal tint. (35% IIRC)

No regrets, no issues, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

41577.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had mine tinted at 35% (max legal here) for 9 years. Did all windows except the windshield. I popped for the lifetime warranty and they replaced the passenger door one two years ago for scratches and the rear last year for bubbles.
I had mine tinted 3 yrs. ago. Went with 35%. sides and limo tint rear. I think the law is 25% sides but never have been bothered by law enforcement. I believe the rear can be dark as long as you have side mirrors (which we all do) Did the same on my other cars over the past 35 yrs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had mine tinted 3 yrs. ago. Went with 35%. sides and limo tint rear. I think the law is 25% sides but never have been bothered by law enforcement. I believe the rear can be dark as long as you have side mirrors (which we all do) Did the same on my other cars over the past 35 yrs.
I have misspoken. I believe it is 35% to be legal, I went 20% with limo tint in rear.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I think the key is you get what you pay for! A corner shop for $199 is a two hundred dollar gamble. Go to a reputable shop in your area, I got computer cut 3M + windshield for under $500 with a lifetime warranty. I went back with a couple small bubbles on the driver window bottom. They tried to fix but said they would have to do it over. It was so small I told them not to bother, I just did not want it to tear at a later date. They said no time limits, bring it back anytime. Windshield is a big plus and it helps with oncoming lights at night, even though it's clear. Be careful about your state's flexibility though! I was in Ohio, they were no tolerance due to Highway Patrol shootings.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Did mine at 35% the limit allowed for NC. Would do it again every time. And I'm telling ya, really helps keep the interior somewhat cooler in the summertime, especially on black and dark-colored cars!
14241425_184814908614186_1584752759533372523_o.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
35% is legal max here on side windows. you can do whatever you want on the rear window in ct aswell. so i got 35 on the sides and 5 on the rear. i also put black vinyl across the top of the windshield on the inside down to the as1 line. i gotta get my hc tinted as i just traded my srt 392.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
35% VLT is legal, putting 35% tint on top of the already tinted 70% tinted factory glass puts you closer to 25% and illegal. Not saying the cops will notice or care just the way it is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
16 SXT
I have rear louver, so back 'darkened', and cooled immediately.
I had a Trooper check, my front sides were 18% blocked, so 82% passed.
Once I got my old guys' tint card, I could go 35% with 7% tolerance, so 28%.
I did 35% in Florida sides only, much cheaper because everyone tints, like 1/3 Va pricing.
Math is not intuitive, but 82% passed, times 35% passed, equals 29% passed.
Got another Trooper to check, dead on at 29%, legal! with DMV endorsement.

Troopers seem happy to help, check the supplier not underestimating (tolerance), do the weird math.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
35% VLT is legal, putting 35% tint on top of the already tinted 70% tinted factory glass puts you closer to 25% and illegal. Not saying the cops will notice or care just the way it is.
I'm also considering having 3M tint put on my '13. Two questions for clarification.

First, it's mentioned the windows are already tinted at 70%. Has this been the case since '08 or did it begin with a later model year? Basically, would it be true and correct for my '13 R/T?

Next, in Illinois the law is 35% for sides and rear. If my '13 is already at 70%, then a 50% tint should put it right at the legal limit of 35%. Is that correct?

Thanks for any clarifications.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
I'm also considering having 3M tint put on my '13. Two questions for clarification.

First, it's mentioned the windows are already tinted at 70%. Has this been the case since '08 or did it begin with a later model year? Basically, would it be true and correct for my '13 R/T?

Next, in Illinois the law is 35% for sides and rear. If my '13 is already at 70%, then a 50% tint should put it right at the legal limit of 35%. Is that correct?

Thanks for any clarifications.
Not sure what it was in 08 but probably was 70%. Check on the glass itself where the other stampings are, it should say the % there.

Yes that's how it works but the tints may not be exactly the % they say plus the state usually gives a 3% tolerance but 50% would definitely be legal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
0.50 x 0.70 = 0.35 35% (y)

People who get 35% applied 0.35 x 0.70 = 0.245 24.5%

I have 0.48 x 0.70 = 0.336 33.6% 70% is legal in CA, so I was illegal as soon as I started calculation :D I had 50% sides on my last car 21 years, and nary a blink from LEA. Then again, I don't do the things that get their attention to begin with. I think depending on their mood, how heinous your infraction was, etc. That's when they start looking at tint, no front plate, etc.

50% on OEM 70% glass you can see out fine, can see through the car (windows both sides) from outside in fact. And most importantly, LEA can see YOU

48%, looking through both windows

Sure you could go darker and not be noticed among the very dark cars around you, but to be legal, 50% for you ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
One of the 1st things I do is have the windows tinted. My Redeye I had done 20% (illegal). I usually go a little darker butt this car has black interior so it appears darker. Side and rear nothing on windshield. Always 3m. Cops really don’t bust balls here but it is a reason to pull you over. Need tint with this Florida sun.
D71963C7-499D-4252-AA86-8D7CC330B0E2.jpeg

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,330 Posts
One of the 1st things I do is have the windows tinted. My Redeye I had done 20% (illegal). I usually go a little darker butt this car has black interior so it appears darker. Side and rear nothing on windshield. Always 3m. Cops really don’t bust balls here but it is a reason to pull you over. Need tint with this Florida sun. View attachment 980533
That's one Beautiful Hellcat that you've got there!

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker pitch black
36 Posts
Def glad I had it done. Side windows + rear windshield. Nothing on the front. I went 5%(illegal in NY) but go dark or go home lol. Used 3M crystalline tint. It can be removed if you want. My car is pitch black paint from the factory & I modded it cosmetically to a point where its pretty much murdered out everywhere so the tint appears even darker with the car being as black as it is especially at night & on top of that it's got a black leather interior. Also, the louvers add darkness to the rear & help cool it down during the summertime.
20191106_172853.jpg
20191106_155942.jpg
20191106_115947.jpg
20190824_211641.jpg
20191106_115815.jpg
20190907_171237.jpg
20190907_171013.jpg
20190907_171004.jpg
20190824_204815.jpg
20190824_204928.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts