Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had side and rear windows tinted by a reputable shop a week or so ago. Followed instructions to the letter; waited three days before opening windows, used the rear defrost etc.

Went for a drive yesterday and noticed a top to bottom scratch on the inside of the passenger window - deep enough to catch a fingernail in. I checked the door panel strip but couldn't find anything that would have caused it. The window has been down maybe four times since the tint was done.

Got home and now there is a top to bottom scratch on the inside of the drivers door! Do they remove the door panels when they tint and could some debris have gotten in there or what... I also noticed a couple of bubbles at the bottom of the drivers side just above the felt strip.

Is this common? This is the first car I have had tinted. All the others that I have owned have had factory tint.

So anyway, I am heading back to the shop on Monday to see what they say about it.

Frustrated in Washington.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just had my tint done yesterday and I already notice some bubbles on the bottom of the driver window near the felt strip. The scratches I don't know about yet since I have to wait a couple of days until I can roll down the windows. If the bubbles are there by Tuesday, I'll just take it back so they can re-tint the driver side window. I don't think it's a big problem. The passenger door doesn't have anything. We'll see what happens after it dries. I hope everything turns out well for you. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm reasonably sure they don't pop the door panels when they install the tint. So whatever is causing the scratch must be so close to the glass that it's not touching it, but close enough that it's getting into the tint. I'm sure they'll take care of it if they're a reputable shop.

When I was the GM of a car dealership, we had one model that we were advised not to tint the windows on because of an extremely close tolerance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My car has it on just the drivers side door, Granted I got my charger almost 3 years ago and have seen ALOT more use then you...but I would take it back.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there was another post on here about someone with scratches on their tint. i think there may be a roller in the door that was causing it
I don't think it's a roller because the scratch is almost at the very top of the glass. If the scratch started a bit lower I could see maybe a roller or other item causing it. It seems to be starting right at the felt strip.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've been using the same tinter for 15 years and I've got the same problem with scratches on both sides. We are gonna pull the door panel off in the next week or 2 to see if its the felt or something else in the door. My mustang had the same problem and I just replaced the felt and the problem was solved. Hopefully it will be something simple. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've wondered about tinting the Challenger for a little while. When the tint film is newly applied you're not supposed to open the windows, but the Challenger has that little up-down cha-cha that it does when opening and closing the doors. How does that not affect the new tint?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Gotta pull the panels to do it right. Also,you may want to disconnect the battery and leave the doors open for about 3-4 hours after you tint doors. This keeps the window from rolling up the last inch or so causing the tint to pull away from the edge of the upper portion of the glass. This is what Ive found through my experience with tinting the doors on a Challenger. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I friend of mine who owns a window repair/tinting company did my windows. i also got a small scratch on the driver's window. I took it back and was told that it could have been from a piece of glass from a broken window at the shop. I guess when they replace windshields, they sometimes break. If the tinting is not done in a sterile environment, small shards of glass can stick to the weather stripping and scratch the film as you roll down the window. Ask if the tinting is done in a separate room like a paint booth or if it is done in the shop with all the other windshields replacements.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
My tinter did not remove the door panels. Been almost a year, and no imperfections whatsover.

No bubbles anywhere, no scratches anywhere, defrost lines no issue.

Mike

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I have scratches on my drivers side window without tint. I believe its just matter of dirt and debris sneaking down with the window, then scratching when you roll it up and down.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took it in yesterday and the tech theorized it was debris of some kind that had gotten into the felt.

I might have bought into that, but both windows doing the same thing seemed just a bit too coincidental to me. They are going to redo both windows next week at no charge.

In the meantime, I stopped by the dealer and they are going to check the doors this afternoon to confirm it's not rollers or other mechanical issues. I figured it was best to do that versus simply having the tint replaced and hoping the scratches don't come back.

Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I friend of mine who owns a window repair/tinting company did my windows. i also got a small scratch on the driver's window. I took it back and was told that it could have been from a piece of glass from a broken window at the shop. I guess when they replace windshields, they sometimes break. If the tinting is not done in a sterile environment, small shards of glass can stick to the weather stripping and scratch the film as you roll down the window. Ask if the tinting is done in a separate room like a paint booth or if it is done in the shop with all the other windshields replacements.
Good point. Would never have thought of that. I will ask them.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I have same issue on one side. Going to dealer first to correct the situation and then back to tint place to see if they will replace under warranty but I would not do this in the reverse order as you could be scratching your new tint all over again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts