Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought in my life I would be making a post about this. In fact, I have a number to "my tint guy" carefully stored in a safe place. He used to be one of the guys that traveled from shop to shop and other people marked up his prices. His quality is great, and prices were equally as good. For the last 7-10 years he works out of his home/detached garage and business comes to him. Normally there is a 2-3 week wait to get in.

I called him and he wants $160 to tint the windows on the Challenger, and another $200 for my wife's Equinox. Like usual, as dark as I want including 5% limo tint. Seems very high to me. He did my '07 Nissan Titan for me back in 2007 for $125 and it was a CREW cab!!!

So I am curious, what is everyone else paying and is there any restriction on darkness (5%, 20%, 35%, etc)? Also what area are you in? I'm near Tulsa, OK. And lastly, can you either PM or post the name of the shop so I can possibly get in contact with them?

Thanks! :guiness:

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I've been using the same tinter for about 8 years. Friend of my son's. He charged me $140 the last time... on my 09 Challenger. I paid him $200 (a little tip).

Same price no matter what tint... $160 seems a bit high, but as I said, last year I got quoted $140...guess it does vary.

Think of it this way.. How much has groceries gone up in three years? Increase from $125 to $160 in 4 years is about a 22% increase. Typical cost of living goes up about 4% or so per year, so, after 4 years, I'd expect about 16% increase.. So, your increase is a little high, but maybe not unreasonable. Check around locally and see what kind of quotes you get.

Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've been using the same tinter for about 8 years. Friend of my son's. He charged me $140 the last time... on my 09 Challenger. I paid him $200 (a little tip).

Same price no matter what tint... $160 seems a bit high, but as I said, last year I got quoted $140...guess it does vary.

Think of it this way.. How much has groceries gone up in three years? Increase from $125 to $160 in 4 years is about a 22% increase. Typical cost of living goes up about 4% or so per year, so, after 4 years, I'd expect about 16% increase.. So, your increase is a little high, but maybe not unreasonable. Check around locally and see what kind of quotes you get.

Mike
Your not talking about sunshield are you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just paid $110. In FL, you can't go darker than 28% on the driver's side and 15% on the rear. I did 30% on all the side windows and 15% on the rear. He used Solarguard film, which has a "lifetime warranty"

·
Registered
211 Posts
$225 central Wisconsin. It's an art form to make it look right and I don't have the right stuff.

Bandman

·
Registered
664 Posts
175$ Middle Tennessee. Dark or light as you want. With or without a strip on the front window. Somethings you just leave to the professionals and tint is one of them.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My guy charged me $150.... Legal on the drivers/passenger and 1 shade darker on the 1/4 glass and rear windows.

Before

After

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Your not talking about sunshield are you?
Nope, my guy just works out of his house. He's been doing it since he was 18.. about 9 years now. Perfect work each time.

If you want his number, let me know and I'll PM it to ya.

Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
Oh no it's ok, I was just curious about the pricing cause the the owner of sunshield is a buddy of mine and he's been telling me for the last couple years to let him know when I'm ready and he'll do my cars for free, but I haven't took him up on it cause I feel kinda bumish for having him do it, especially since I never really knew how much it was. He's already done a lot for me and my wife, I didn't want to feel too much like a moocher or something

·
Registered
177 Posts
No matter where you go don't bring your Challenger to person who calls himself a tint expert who uses a razor blade on your glass. The installer I went to has a computer program with the exact measurements of most modern cars. He uses a special plotter/printer to punch out an exact sheet of tint for each window. Given the soft nature of glass installed on the Challenger I wouldn’t want some joker to trace around my window with a razor blade. I was at an all-in-one audio/tint shop and watched a guy installing tint on a BMW using a razor blade. I paid $400 for a ceramic tint on every window but the front windshield (Lifetime Warranty). You get what you pay for.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the $160 is close to what many of you are paying. I did check around several other places and they are $200+ for the Challenger.

But I think I hit the jackpot tonight. As noted in another thread I dropped by the GMC dealership where a few buddies worked so I could borrow their car lift to install my SSE that came in today. Anyhow, while there I asked who they used for tint, quality and cost. Turns out a shop across the street does all their work. Great quality, dark as I want and up to 5 pieces of glass for $100!!!! I guess they cut them a volume discount. So I will give them a shot, especially since I'm close friends with the GMC guys and know they will watch out for me.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Carefull on what you might find with the tint. I, and a few others here have had scratches from the rollers or something on the passenger side windows.

The link:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f19/tint-getting-scratched-39269/
Thanks for the heads up Heywood. :bigthumb:

I will be sure and talk with the tint shop and advise them of the issues that MANY of the Challenger owners are experiencing. Believe it or not, this was also an issue on my previous vehicle ('07 Nissan Titan). I didn't find out about it until AFTER I tinted my windows. The scratches didn't start showing up until 1.5-2 years down the road.

In that case, the fix was installing a moleskin or keeping your seals cleaned out more often & better. I suspect something similar is going on here. I actually took some time to comment (with details) on the issue in that thread link you posted, if you'd like to read more.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Moleskin should be common practice among good tinters. They should be able to do it for a very reasonable price while tinting the car and it will most definitely pay off in the long run

1 - 20 of 46 Posts