Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 SRT with 400 miles on her. Took it to my tint shop. The guy has been in business 20+ years and has done a number of my cars. When I got home I noticed some visible scratch marks on the driver side and passenger side window. I called him and he said bring it back in which I did. He said it was not the tint and that the windows were scratched. Almost looked like someone used a blade to scrap off something on the inside of the windows. I trust him and know it wasn't his doing. He said I should bring it up to the dealer to find out if the windows can be replaced. Not sure if they will agree. My luck needs to change with this car quick.
400 miles in:
1) Bad drivers seat fan.
2) Blue tooth dropping and not recognizing phone
3) Rear diff to be replaced - loud at all rpms
4) scratched windows
5) misaligned hood

Have had Chrysler and Dodge products before with good luck. Hopefully, once corrected, things will settle down and I can finally enjoy the car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Were you not allowed to inspect the vehicle before taking delivery? The scratched windows and misaligned hood are on you.

Also, you've now had a 3rd party install aftermarket tint, and now you want to take it back and say it was scratched before? Don't see you having much luck on that one.

Good luck

·
Registered
204 Posts
Were you not allowed to inspect the vehicle before taking delivery? The scratched windows and misaligned hood are on you.

Also, you've now had a 3rd party install aftermarket tint, and now you want to take it back and say it was scratched before? Don't see you having much luck on that one.

Good luck

The hood they will fix. My '14 hood had this issue (repeatedly), it even kept popping up! I don't see them doing anything about the windows though now that they have been tinted. They will likely put it back on the tint shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Good luck

Was not able to inspect the car prior to purchase. It was an out of state delivery and the dealer assured me it was in great condition, which technically it is. The hood is no big issue. It is slightly lower on the passenger side. Even if I inspected the windows, I would have never seen them. The scratches only became visible after the tint was applied. I'll live with it if I have to or just pony up for some new windows. I do a lot of business with the dealer so we will see what happens.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Was not able to inspect the car prior to purchase. It was an out of state delivery and the dealer assured me it was in great condition, which technically it is. The hood is no big issue. It is slightly lower on the passenger side. Even if I inspected the windows, I would have never seen them. The scratches only became visible after the tint was applied. I'll live with it if I have to or just pony up for some new windows. I do a lot of business with the dealer so we will see what happens.
I hope its a lot of business because Dealers tend to look for any reason to not fix something under warranty...., and you've provided a made for TV excuse for them. A third party window tinting company and a scratched window after you took delivery. Ya..., good luck with that !! I hope they do you right and replace because its the right thing to do, but I'm skeptical. :|

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
They use a single edge razor blade to knock down the DOT emblem at the bottom rear of the glass so the tint sticks better. They also use the blade to trim, obviously. But many times they don't have the brain power to be aware of the blade in their hand when the push the door open. I took my first Challenger, a 2010 to get tint when it was five days old. I inspected it and it looked OK at the time but when the sun got low, many long scratches were highly visible. Turned out the tinter got very carried away with knocking down the DOT emblem and used long deep strokes and scratched the hell out of both door glass. OEM glass was not available so I had to have both door glass replaced with Pilkington brand. On my 2016 after I got home I noticed a couple scratches on the right door glass. The tint was scratched. Took it back to get redone. Turned out the tinter also scratched the glass. Had the tint redone and the scratch on the glass is not very noticeable. He also left a razor blade on the floor and failed to reinstall the third brake light properly. Needless to say, from now on I'll do without if I have a choice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not going to press the dealership on the windows. I agree with the above, that this could have been caused by the tint installer. I found out that he was not there when the install took place and it was a new gal that installed it. The areas scratched are consist to where the DOT emblems are. I will just live with it and if I get to anal about it, I will just remove the tint. Its unfortunate because I have had them do over 10 vehicles without a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
I am not going to press the dealership on the windows. I agree with the above, that this could have been caused by the tint installer. I found out that he was not there when the install took place and it was a new gal that installed it. The areas scratched are consist to where the DOT emblems are. I will just live with it and if I get to anal about it, I will just remove the tint. Its unfortunate because I have had them do over 10 vehicles without a problem.
Unfortunately, businesses these days are willing to hire people with I.Q's equal to their shoe size. Apparently, folks with common sense are unavailable for employment. Your tint company owes you some glass. With or without tint, if the glass is scratched, when the Sun is low, it will light up like neon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, businesses these days are willing to hire people with I.Q's equal to their shoe size. Apparently, folks with common sense are unavailable for employment. Your tint company owes you some glass. With or without tint, if the glass is scratched, when the Sun is low, it will light up like neon.
I contacted my tint guy. He stated that they only use stainless steel blades, they never scrape down the DOT markings, and they only use the blade to trim near the edge of the window. He stated there is no reason why his blade would get anywhere near where the scratches are located. He said he would be glad to remove the tint to see if the scratches could be polished out and then he would replace the tint free of charge. I am going to a local glass shop Friday to get their take on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Go to youtube and watch some tinting videos. Running a blade across older windows is a good way to remove any gunk that might be on them. I went as far as pulling both door panels when I did my own windows.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
I contacted my tint guy. He stated that they only use stainless steel blades, they never scrape down the DOT markings, and they only use the blade to trim near the edge of the window. He stated there is no reason why his blade would get anywhere near where the scratches are located. He said he would be glad to remove the tint to see if the scratches could be polished out and then he would replace the tint free of charge. I am going to a local glass shop Friday to get their take on it.
I'll be interested to hear what the glass guy says. All I can say is that scratched glass has been a recurring problem for me when tint is done. After my initial 2010 ordeal, I went on the dealership and checked some of their Challengers that they had tinted and found some scratches on unsold units in that same area, bottom rear, by the DOT emblem. So I'd put money on a tinter caused problem. I have also seen them push open the doors with the blades in their hands right up against the glass.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have had great success removing scratches in window glass using 00
steel wool and a lubricant like water or glass cleaner . takes a while but it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts