Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been all of 3 months since I had my windshield replaced, and yesterday while driving to NYC, a rock hit it, and chipped it bad.

It was on a highway, no visible loose rocks or gravel, and I was passing a semi on the left, and just as I'm passing his drive wheels, a rock hits the windshield, and looks like I was shot with a pellet.

I'm going to try and get it repaired before it cracks, but earliest the windshield repair place can get me in is Monday, and given the heat wave we're under, I'm worried (last time a chip split due to the heat).

I have NEVER had this much trouble with windshields before. I mean, my Infiniti took plenty of rocks to the glass, and some very minor, and I mean very tiny chips, that never spider-webbed or split.

Does Dodge just use cheap, thin glass? WTF?

I'll never have any money to mod my Challenger if I have to keep spending $500 every 3 months on windshields. F*** maybe I can get bullet resistant glass put in....good grief. :smiley35:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I may have to consider lowering my deductible just for this crap.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Ya if I mess up and tear something up I don't mind paying to fix it but when yoiu do nothing wrong and have to pay that's bull. I know I pay every month but it's not all at once. I hope you can get her back to normal soon. I have heard the glass on these do break easy but the one time I had mine crack it was a good size rock going thru Memphis with no trucks around and I think any widshield would have chipped. I don't know that I ever saw one crack that quick though. In less than 20 miles it ran all the way from the top to the bottom and the wife wasn't happy with me bringing the car home that way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have $500 deductible but glass is covered in full with my policy, I'd check your policy to see if the windshield isn't covered in full if not it shouldn't cost that much to get it added to cover window breakage.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
I've always had 0 ded on this type of damage even though I have $500 on accident. If you can get the license number of the vehicle that threw the rock, their insurance might pay for it or your insurance will go after them.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Every collision policy that I've ever seen has glass coverage with $0 deductible. If you have collision, and you have to pay a deductible for glass, I would RUN to check out a new insurance co.

As far as how often you are needing windshield repairs, I can tell you that sometimes you just have a run of bad luck. Of course, staying far behind dump trucks, or trucks of any kind for that matter, will probably help lessen the risk. Of course, nothing is certain out on the road.....

Good luck!
Scott

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I had my windshield replaced for $160 without any insurance involved. It is mopar brand also. $500 is a rip off if you are paying that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In FL the insurance company has to replace the windshield no mater what the deductible.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'll check with GEICO and see what they say, but for now, I got a quote for $60 to repair the chip, and have an appt scheduled for Monday. For now, we're at the repair stage. Hopefully it doesn't get to the replace stage....

This is my second windshield right now. I had to replace the windshield 2 months after I got the car due to a rock chip. I called all over Northern VA/DC area, and the average price to replace the windshield was $300-500 depending on what brand I used. I went with MOPAR OEM. Mind you the $500 includes labor. There wasn't a place here that I found that would do a windshield for less than $300, can't imagine getting a MOPAR OEM for $160. Is that installed? I know things are cheaper in Tejas, but damn...

And yes, I go out of my way to avoid all trucks, cars close to the shoulders where debris is easily kicked up, and all other manner of road dangers. But, what, now I am to never pass anyone, or any semis?

I still say Dodge uses cheap, thin glass. Like I said, I had bad luck with the Infiniti, but the windshield seemed MUCH more durable. I had a couple of chips that never split at all. Heck, even my old Mustang caught the steel belted tread off a semi tire that blew out in front of me, right in the windshield, and didn't do anything. My Challenger windshield would have probably shattered....

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,072 Posts
I've been through two windshields on my Suburban in the last couple of years so its not just a Dodge thing. More likely its just luck (or no luck ) of the draw when a stone hits the windshield.

Right now I can really feel your pain. Some dingus opened the door of his truck into my Challenger's rear quarter panel on thursday. I parked in the back row of a restaurant with lots of empty spaces, something like 12 plus around me. The guy backed his truck up tight against me then his passenger must have opened their door into me. I saw the truck parked by me when I came out of the restaurant but didn't check up close for dings and scratches. Wished I would have, upon getting home I proceeded to clean my rims thats when I spotted the scratch. Only about an inch long and clear through the paint. Dealership says will cost $450 to fix. I have a $1,000 deductible so its all on me.

Anyway I know the sense of frustration when things are someone elses fault but you are the one paying for it. I hope you get it repaired before it cracks, good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts