Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping somebody has something good to tell me... I was driving on the highway when I came into a repaving section, I couldn't avoid & then it happened. I heard a click on the windshield. I'm familar with that sound & it makes me cringe. On the passenger side 1 inch in from the black boarder there is a super tiny nick. I bought a windshield repair kit, but chickened out at the last minute. afraid I would screw it up. So I called SAFELITE windshield repair, got them coming saturday morning to my house. They say after repair its undectable. Frinds tell me the slightest little nick could spread, so I want to nip it in the bud. Anybody else have this problem? Thanks everybody. Discusted :icon_evil:SRT owner.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Pretty common around here. Had it fixed for 39 bucks, can't even see it.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Funny about the timing of your thread. I just went through this yesterday, except it was on my truck. I, too, had Safelite do the repair. They told me that if a dollar bill would cover the chip, it would cost $90 to repair. I told them that a quarter would cover it.

Safelite comes to my house yesterday morning. The service guy looks at it and immediately shakes his head. He's up front about it and tells me that he doesn't think he can fix it. He then gives me the option to cancel, or ok him to at least make the chip look a little better.

I told him to go ahead and try to make it look better. He said ok, but he says that I'm not going to be happy with the way it's going to turn out.

After a 1/2 hour, he's done. My chip looks a little better, but it's still there. By having him to "try" he guaranteed me that the chip will not "spider web."
He actually told me that there's 8 out of every 10 that they cannot fix.

So now, I just spent $90 on a chip that's still there, but won't spider web.

Here's the deal. If I decide to replace the windshield after yesterday, safelite will credit my $90 towards the purchase of a replacement, but not a refund. I may just get a used one, or a generic one soon. Overall, there's good and bad about safelite.

I hope I helped to answer your question. At least you'll know what to expect on Saturday.

My chip, when you're in the driver's seat, is right behind the rearview mirror, so you really can't see it when you're driving. But when I'm on the outside looking in, it's nasty. Mine took a very hard hit.

Good luck on Saturday. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.