Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to deal with replacing the windshield due to it cracking?

Two weekends ago, was on the highway, took a rock and chipped the windshield. Thought I was fine as there was no signs of any cracks heading out of the chip. The car had been parked in the garage for the last couple of weeks, but took her out this weekend for a tire rotation and a bath. Noticed I had an 8-9" crack on one side, and a 3" crack on the other side going to the roof. How disappointing to have this happen. I've only had 1 other windshield that needing replacing in 30+ years of driving, and to have it happen to my baby. Anyway, I called around, and have the company the local dealership uses coming out and doing the work tomorrow while I am at work. $430 to replace it with a Mopar branded windshield. Not too bad considering it is truly OEM. Safelite had a great price, $345, but it was OE only, had to take to their shop, and could not get in for 9 business days...

Anyway was wondering if the price is right for a Mopar replacement. Hope I'm not being taken, but I really wanted it ready for the up coming weekend. Now I must put the hood pin kit on hold for another few months....

·
Super Moderator
14,192 Posts
That price is about right. I had to have my backlight window replaced (OEM) for $405. I chose Safelite and they did a great job. It is just as expensive as the windshield because of the defroster wiring.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used safelite in August. Got genuine OEM Mopar glass (had to call them to get it). There first quote was higher, told them i was gonna call around and they immediately dropped the price. Here's the price breakdown.

Total$373.31*

This total price includes $318.95 for parts & labor, $9.95 for disposal fees, $24.99 for mobile service and $19.42 for tax.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: FAST RS

·
Registered
779 Posts
Had to replace mine last year, went with Speedy Auto Glass. Since everyone I know has a pitted sandblasted MOPAR windshield from just normal driving I decided to not go OEM. Even my wife's 200 is showing signs of the effect. Haven't had a chip or any evidence of "sandblasting" in over a year, IMHO the MOPAR OEM windshields are not that good. Save the money and go aftermarket.

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I've read posts by people using something else than Mopar and not having a good seal, but I think it may be a bad installation or the idea that factory must be best. I'm almost hoping that my windshield cracks so I can replace it, and I won't go OEM. My Charger was the same way (pitted and scratched after only 3 years) and so were other Chrysler cars I've rented (just rough). Something's definitely funky with their glass suppliers.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Definitely something cheap about this glass. I have a few small rock pits in mine. Seems to chip real easy. 8+ years on my Ram and its flawless. less than a year on my Challenger and shows some road rash.

·
Registered
Dodge challenger rallye redline
454 Posts
Did you ask if they could fill the cracks? My friends front windshield had a couple chips and a 8 inch crack in it and they filled it and its been 2 years and you can't tell it was ever damaged

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Get the glass protection under your Insurance carrier, the deductible is usually $0-$50 depending on your plan. It covers all the Glass from the windshield, side glass to rear glass. Most people don't realize their carrier has the add on glass protection option and the Insurance company's don't always tell you about it.

Mine has come in handy on all our cars, have a $0 deductible, pays for itself real quick.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I used safelite in August. Got genuine OEM Mopar glass (had to call them to get it). There first quote was higher, told them i was gonna call around and they immediately dropped the price. Here's the price breakdown.

Total$373.31*

This total price includes $318.95 for parts & labor, $9.95 for disposal fees, $24.99 for mobile service and $19.42 for tax.

Thank you for the cost breakdown. I called safelite at first they wanted 480.00 for OEM installed. After searching and seeing this they went down to 400.00 I am not going to complain over 25.00 but thank you for saving me 80.00.

How is the glass holding up? Did you have any issues with the installation? Did yours come with the top part tinted? Mine is currently pitted to the point I cant red the license plate in front of me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts