Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are threads covering this subject, but I performed a search for "windshield" and found no good thread results concerning replacement. The search feature on this website apparently doesn't work very well:indifferent: I first discovered my windshield was cracked yesterday, so just 10 minutes ago....I decided to start shopping windshields on the web. I remember reading stories of people paying nearly $500 to replace a windshield and I'd like to share my experience since I'm replacing my windshield today!!!!! I tend to go through a lot of windshields....LOL My car is only 6 months old, and I'm already replacing it.

I did a quick internet search (took seconds), and I called the first 4 places at the top of the huge results list.

These topped the list:
1. Safelite $459
2. Sante Fe Glass $322
3. Glass Doctor $337
4. Kryger Glass $322.....and they can install it TODAY!!
(all come with a warranty and they come to you)

Even at $322.....it's still an expensive windshield for such a small piece of glass. I wonder why it costs so much?? I've replace a ton of windshields over the years, and NEVER did I pay this much. I could have probably found one cheaper 'with effort', but I'm all about getting it done as quickly/easily/ and painlessly as possible.

Kryger Glass will be installing my windshield later this afternoon:)

FYI..........for all you folks out there with cracked windshields. LOL

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I know there are threads covering this subject, but I performed a search for "windshield" and found no good thread results concerning replacement. The search feature on this website apparently doesn't work very well:indifferent: I first discovered my windshield was cracked yesterday, so just 10 minutes ago....I decided to start shopping windshields on the web. I remember reading stories of people paying nearly $500 to replace a windshield and I'd like to share my experience since I'm replacing my windshield today!!!!! I tend to go through a lot of windshields....LOL My car is only 6 months old, and I'm already replacing it.

I did a quick internet search (took seconds), and I called the first 4 places at the top of the huge results list.

These topped the list:
1. Safelite $459
2. Sante Fe Glass $322
3. Glass Doctor $337
4. Kryger Glass $322.....and they can install it TODAY!!
(all come with a warranty and they come to you)

Even at $322.....it's still an expensive windshield for such a small piece of glass. I wonder why it costs so much?? I've replace a ton of windshields over the years, and NEVER did I pay this much. I could have probably found one cheaper 'with effort', but I'm all about getting it done as quickly/easily/ and painlessly as possible.

Kryger Glass will be installing my windshield later this afternoon:)

FYI..........for all you folks out there with cracked windshields. LOL

Thanks for posting your findings.

The LX guys have been dealing with this since 2005.
One of the reasons they are so expensive, is if you have rain sensor. They are pre-installed on the windsheild and you are paying for the sensor as well.

If the crack is not to bad there are repair shops that inject into the windsheild. (much cheaper, but depends on how large the crack it) Most of these services will come out to you.

Good luck and keep us posted of your findings.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Are those prices AFTER your insurance pays their share? You must have a pretty good nick if you can't get it repaired.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are those prices AFTER your insurance pays their share? You must have a pretty good nick if you can't get it repaired.
No insurance claim.....paying cash.

I just noticed the crack for the first time last night, and this is beyond a little puddy/fix. LOL

The 'glass-man' is supposedly coming to my home later today change the glass:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
No insurance claim.....paying cash.

I just noticed the crack for the first time last night, and this is beyond a little puddy/fix. LOL

The 'glass-man' is supposedly coming to my home later today change the glass:thumbsup:
That is one heck of a crack. If a crack is larger than a dollar bill it cannot be repaired.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Guess it wasn't just a nick. I don't think a window replacement constitutes a claim so your rates won't go up. But maybe I'm wrong. Every policy is different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ordered the one from safelite and they did a great job. It would of been much less it I would of ask for a Chrysler 300 windshield. I was told that they are the one of the same.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Normally, with full coverage insurance (and I can't imagine that you would have anything less on our cars) a windshield replacement is not counted as a claim against your insurance and should only cost you about 50 bucks at the outside. Call your insurance guys and check for sure. I have had one replaced and it cost me $50.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It's friday...I was grillin and had the music going when I had the glass replaced.

I fed him insanely flavored beef while he was replacing my glass......I even gave him a plate to go. I think he did a good install job........just sayin'...

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed.
And best of all, sounds like your happy, main thing lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
In New Jersey if is a small crack the insurance company will send out the repair guy for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts