Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a surface scratch on my windshield.

What are the does and don't

And what should be my next step....

Thank you guys for the help :scratchhead:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Let a professional shop handle it. These windshields seem to be very soft.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Let a professional shop handle it. These windshields seem to be very soft.
Yes, soft...almost like transparent clay. I am 6 months in and have 3 tiny chips though almost not chips but permanent dings, and thousands of pock marks acrss the entire surface. Never have I had a windshield have this surface wear this early in, hell, we had 20-30 mph gusts one day all day and it was obvious it picked up alot of marking then. Its like I cant get it clean...after 6 months! And I do not live on the prairie, I live in the city. My car is a daily driver but the windshield sure seems to be...soft. Just my 2c. I will be replacing it in 1-2 years without a doubt. Is it just mine or do you guys also have some of this? I know there have been some other threads on this, perhaps I should read there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I barely got 3000 miles on it...

·
Registered
177 Posts
The glass on these puppies is SUPER soft. I was washing my Challenger this weekend and I noticed the driver side wiper insert had partially shifted out of the frame. If I would have used my wiper I hate to think of the scratch it would have caused.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Eastwood has a kit for removing light scratches from windshields. You would need a drill to use the kit.

Follow the instructions and it will work. Take your finger nail and rub it across the scratch or you can take a razor blade. If your nail or the razor blade catches on the scratch then it is probably too deep for repair with the Eastwood kit.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I would've never believed in the "soft" glass statement prior to owning the Challenger.....but alas, I am a believer.:disgust: My previous Challenger had scratches in the windshield, which I can only assume happened while I was cleaning it.:disgust::( So far, my current car doesn't have them, but I'm extra careful when cleaning the windshield now because of my experience with the previous car.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You can try to polish it out, but if its a deep scratch just call your insurance company to have it replaced. In this state, (FL) you can get it replaced for a cracked windshield for free, and there is no penalty from the insurance company such as higher rates for the replacement.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I have a horizontal scratch on mine which could have only come from using a squeegee at the gas station. Arrgh!:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts