Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wondering which car you would drive if you were in my situation, I'm borderline.

I have my 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T with heated seats and Goodyear RSA or my 2000 Mazda Protege with weak heating, cloth seats, and a less than impressive defroster. I suppose one of the catches is that I live in Kansas and eventually they'll salt and sand the roads.

Would you drive the challenger in comfort with a better heating system, leather seats, and options? Would you drive the mazda and protect the challenger from the elements despite being colder and less comfortable?

Part of it is my own question but it's also valid for other situations which you can obviously feel free to describe (your situation and what you chose). Would you personally prefer the Challenger in dicey weather to remain comfortable or to drive something less comfortable in the nasty weather. Let's make the assumption that both cars work and will safely get you to your destination.

·
Registered
350 Posts
if both cars were equally safe it would definatly be the mazda. But I would just get the heater fixed and drive that on salty days. Honestly I would feel super confident about driving my challenger in fresh snow. What I would avoid is the next day when its all slush and crap, and the city has layed down salt. But It was 78 degrees today.... so im not the greatest as far as snow is concerned. I did how ever love our record setting 6" snow fall last year ( the entire year) lol. All fell in one day, and the next day it was 61 degrees and gone. lol

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
these posts kill me...

Simple...if you are going to keep this car for several years or longer, then you should already have your answer. If you are going to dump this car in a year or two, do what you want with it. That would be a shame however, because the poor unlucky fellow that buys it from you will have to deal with all the salt damage you allowed this car endure when you had another car to drive in the snow and on road salt covered roads. Not to mention the moron that slides into your beautiful car on the ice or snow.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Get very good snow tires and enjoy. Wash the car once a week and I do not think rust will be an issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2003 honda accord that I am using as my beat around. I am lucky having an indoor garage that I can park both of my cars.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have been struggling with exposing my car to the weather also. Then I started thinking about the cost of buying and maintaining another car that I really wouldn't enjoy driving. This has led me to decide to drive the Challenger.

As much as I want my car to look good, I have decided that cars are made to drive and enjoy. If in a few years I am not happy with what the weather has done to the car, I will buy a new one and enjoy the improved performance and features.

In the long run, the joy of driving this car will make me happier than hiding it in the garage and worrying about it looking less than perfect.

I'm ok if your views are different. It's just that this is what works best for me.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
WORST issue is the windo auto roll down part way when door opens stuff.

When it is - way freaking cold day after day the glass gets frozen and wont roll down.

So you can open the door with a hard pull to pop the glass past the strips, but then when you glose the glass is stuck out and door will NOT close right.

So yeah you can mess with pooring water on the glass to un freeze it etc.

But last night at 8 pm wind blowing and wind chills minus -40 it is not FUN dealing with water and glass.

Seems many many new cars have this issue with the glass when they sit under the strips.

I guess the cars were never meant to be driven in frozen weather?

Or even tested for it? :(

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I have been struggling with exposing my car to the weather also. Then I started thinking about the cost of buying and maintaining another car that I really wouldn't enjoy driving. This has led me to decide to drive the Challenger.

As much as I want my car to look good, I have decided that cars are made to drive and enjoy. If in a few years I am not happy with what the weather has done to the car, I will buy a new one and enjoy the improved performance and features.

In the long run, the joy of driving this car will make me happier than hiding it in the garage and worrying about it looking less than perfect.

I'm ok if your views are different. It's just that this is what works best for me.:thumbsup:
I have reached the same decision for the same reasons. We had a 12 inch snowfall yesterday, and with wheel tracks, some fairly good city snowplowing, and good all season tires I didn't have any trouble getting around.

WORST issue is the windo auto roll down part way when door opens stuff.

When it is - way freaking cold day after day the glass gets frozen and wont roll down.

So you can open the door with a hard pull to pop the glass past the strips, but then when you glose the glass is stuck out and door will NOT close right.

So yeah you can mess with pooring water on the glass to un freeze it etc.

:(
It's probably not a recommended practice, but when my windows freeze to the sill seal I carefully run a small pocketknife blade between the window and the seal. This breaks it loose, and the window will raise and drop, at least until the next bout of ice and snow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Phargophil, Hope to see you on the road sometime. I am from Fargo also. My Orange R/T had no problems in the snow yesterday. I was afraid how it would handle with the Goodyear RSA's. It was better than I thought.

I had a black Challenger SE last winter but with that I had Blizzak snow tires on it. It was great in the snow. This year when I upgraded to the R/T, it had 20" wheels so I wasn't able to use my 18" Blizzaks this year. Can't afford 20" Blizzaks. However, after driving in the 12" snow yesterday with the RSA's I was surprised at how well they are. No need to get the Blizzaks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
lived in Minot ND for 4 yrs had a 70 Olds 442 4spd, adored that car, at first I was really upset with winterz up there, but after the first year and DD nite and day to and from the base with no problems I realized this was life and doable. The car never gave a problem concerning weather and as a coastal southerner have never owned a snow tire. One day while at my Gfriends house some bimbo slid into the front fender and didn't stop. I ran her down on foot and caught her, anyway I contended with that and it worked out me and my cars way but defo after driving in Dakota country, anyone can do it. :) we had indoor autowash with great dryers, very little ice didnt roll down windows anyway :bigthumb:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am so on board with this post! I thought long and hard about purchasing a beater, but I wouldn't enjoy it, I would have to put money into it just to drive the dang thing. I would much rather put that money into making my Challenger more fun to drive. Be it snow tires or engine bits. If I do get nailed by another driver in the snow, that is what insurance is for. Mine is a 6MT RT Classic, nothing collectible about it. If it gets totaled, then I will be able to purchase an '11 with the nicer interior bits!

·
Registered
140 Posts
It depends upon how long you want to keep it and how bad the salt in your area rots cars. I plan on keeping my S/E for a long time, so I keep it parked (outside) in the winter because of the salt. I drive my beater 4x4 pickup in the winter. It kills me to do so, because I would much rather drive in comfort.

The window freezing problem makes me angry. How could they not test the design? Did they do anything different for the 2011's?

If your not concerned about rust, drive it!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I live in Ottawa Canada, I decided that I'd get a beater.

I bought a 97 bonneville, its a comfy car but the challenger would defnitely be safer, warmer and funner to drive.

With the auto start in the challenger it will put the heat on full, and activate the rear defroster if below a certain temp (did u know that), and the heated seats are sooo nice in the winter, Its got traction control, etc, etc, etc

BUT the one thing it cant help with is morons smashing into it, so for that reason alone ill be driving this bonneville for the winter and people can smash into me as much as possible. Plus here in Ottawa they use some crazy calcium cloride or some thing with the salt which will rust a car like twice as fast, nuts to that, shes getting stored!

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
in Ohio the roads are covered with rock salt and that newer liquid spray stuff as well...needless to say i drive my Jeep in the winter

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Drive your challenger. Why pay that much for a car to sit for half the year? People who do that, in my opinion, are crazy. Your car will be fine. Cars do not rust out like they did in the olden days. Just give her a good wash once a week and you'll be fine.

EDIT:

And if you are worried about someone slamming into you, that happens plenty of times when the roads are at optimal conditions. If it is gonna happen it is gonna happen. That is what insurance is for. The best you can do is make sure you are driving safe and prevent yourself from getting into a situation where someone could easily smash you.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I'm driving mine as well. That's why I bought it. I'm sure I'll get along fine with the RSA's and a little added weight in the rear. My only real concern is the window down function. Just put a fresh application of silicone on the weather strips and seals. I'm gonna keep a bottle of Prestone deicer in the trunk as well. Just hope the trunk doesn't freeze shut. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
I compromise. I drive my SRT in the winter when the weather and the roads are clear. When the roads are covered with snow, ice, and salt, it stays home and I drive my 1997 Thunderbird. Besides the weather elements, driving your Challenger under poor road conditions greatly increases your chance of an accident.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I was a moron and ordered mine with the "upgraded" performance tires (only 3-season), not thinking I would be picking mine up mid Dec. in snowy Utah.

Should I plan to buy some 20" snow tires and have the dealer swap them out when I pick it up? Or would it be better to get some 18" wheels with winter tires and swap out the wheels as well?

(Do 18" wheels even fit on the SRT8 w/the Brembos?)

Also, will 4 tires fit in the Challenger w/the back seat collapsed, or do I need to plan on my truck/suv to haul them?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I was a moron and ordered mine with the "upgraded" performance tires (only 3-season), not thinking I would be picking mine up mid Dec. in snowy Utah.

Should I plan to buy some 20" snow tires and have the dealer swap them out when I pick it up? Or would it be better to get some 18" wheels with winter tires and swap out the wheels as well?

(Do 18" wheels even fit on the SRT8 w/the Brembos?)

Also, will 4 tires fit in the Challenger w/the back seat collapsed, or do I need to plan on my truck/suv to haul them?
The 18s wont fit on the font without spacers.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts