Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several owners have asked how the Challenger handles in the snow so I thought I would discuss my winter experience

I have mounted four Firestone Winterforce tires on a set of stock 18” R/T rims; I matched their size to the original Rallye 18”’s. So far we have had an unusual winter with several storms, the largest dumping 22 inches of the white crap upon us. This morning an additional 3 inches was on the ground and 3-4” more on the way. Presently I have had no issue driving this winter. The Challengers traction control works brilliantly! This morning a Toyota Camry spun out twice while my Challenger slowly climbed the snowy incline with no issues; the traction control light flashed like a drunk during Mardi gra.:thumbsup:

The winter here is long from over but so far the car lives up to what I bought it for an every day driver; though Florida looks better as snow flakes keep falling across the New England landscape

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It's all in the tires.

That being said, I wonder why people ask about the Challenger, when there's a ton of Chargers and 300's being driven in winter. Why would there be any difference?

All in the tires :)

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Traction control is great... however... if I had a choice I'd drive a FWD car in ice/snow versus my Challenger. I don't like the fishtailing at all.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I too have the Winterforce tires. I got them studded since I work on top of a hill with a 9% grade (I worry more about going down than going up).

My car goes very well in the snow. I don't like the traction control much though, and turn it off. In fact, I usually turn it off dry, wet, or snow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's all in the tires.

All in the tires :)

i think driving ability plays at least some part in it.

i have the original tires, live in jersey, and have been subject to the same crappy winter the whole east coast has had.

the car has performed well, although truth be known, i really haven't to drive it much in the snow, except really for this last round (around 5 inches), partially up a hill, and was happy with it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine has handled fine so far. Haven't been in too many snowfalls of any large consequence yet. Added some WS70 Blizzaks recently, seems like I have even more bite now. Also put in 80# of weight in the trunk, placed right over the wheels for good measure.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Have the Blizzaks on my 2009 SRT8, my daily driver. We have also experienced numerous snow storms in the Chicago area however not nearly the amount in CT. Heard the local weather man, Tom Skilling, on ch 9 saying that CT had 72" of snow in the month of Jan. We are getting 2+ inches a couple times a week combined with very cold temps, teens and lower, turning the snow into ice. The Blizzaks and traction control on the Challenger works extremely well. Have been taking the Challenger through the car wash at least 2 times a week. Put a paint sealer on in the fall which is holding up well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts