Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a little late since Winter is pretty much over here... but for SXT Challenger what is the recommendation for driving in the snow besides slapping on dedicated winter tires? I am from Boston where the winter has been unusually craptastic this year....

PS: This will be a daily driver, no beater will be used.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I put a set of Firestone Winterforce snow tires on my factory 17" rims for winter driving. They work really well and I've yet to have any problems getting around in snow and ice of a midwest winter.

I also have a set of 20" rims that I swap to once it gets nice out and for summer driving....

Reactions: OmahaRumble

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I'm in RI. This winter has sucked. Not as bad as some other places though. If your tires are new you should be OK for the rest of this season. I put a set of 18" Blizzaks on mine from November until April and then the stock 20's go on late April through late November.
The traction control should keep you out of most trouble unless you try to do something dumb intentionally. Make sure you leave plenty of room to stop. Even with antilock brakes, a slick or icy road spells trouble.

·
Registered
244 Posts
What they said above. With the stock 20's I only had 1 issue which was trying to get up a pretty steep hill that wasn't plowed. Had to bail about midway up cause I couldnt' get up it. Other than that, this car has been surprisingly good in the snow and I think with snows and smaller wheels next year it will do even better. Just take it slow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put a set of Firestone Winterforce snow tires on my factory 17" rims for winter driving. They work really well and I've yet to have any problems getting around in snow and ice of a midwest winter.

I also have a set of 20" rims that I swap to once it gets nice out and for summer driving....
That's good to hear, I heard it is the best one if you are going to pick one modern muscle car for winter driving. Nice icon BTW ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in RI. This winter has sucked. Not as bad as some other places though. If your tires are new you should be OK for the rest of this season. I put a set of 18" Blizzaks on mine from November until April and then the stock 20's go on late April through late November.
The traction control should keep you out of most trouble unless you try to do something dumb intentionally. Make sure you leave plenty of room to stop. Even with antilock brakes, a slick or icy road spells trouble.
Yeah thankfully that winter storm Titan was a bust around here anyway... The challenger is a new 2014, but will switch the tires once the season comes back. Blizzaks seem to be the gold standard of winter tires.

·
Registered
828 Posts
That's good to hear, I heard it is the best one if you are going to pick one modern muscle car for winter driving. Nice icon BTW ;)
Hahaha, Thanks!!! Honestly, my challenger gets around waaay better then the front wheel drive ford focus I had before it.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I too have Firestone Winterforce tires (225/60-18). There hasn't been any road (plowed or not plowed) that I wasn't able to navigate. My work is at the top of a one mile, 9% grade hill which presented no problems even with the deepest snow.

I do nothing else to prepare my car for winter driving (other than keeping the gas tank > half full).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too have Firestone Winterforce tires (225/60-18). There hasn't been any road (plowed or not plowed) that I wasn't able to navigate. My work is at the top of a one mile, 9% grade hill which presented no problems even with the deepest snow.

I do nothing else to prepare my car for winter driving (other than keeping the gas tank > half full).
It's amazing to hear that, because who knows will happen next time a crazy winter season like this one will bury us 24-7!

·
Registered
387 Posts
For me, a bottle of Gummi Pfledge Stikh (I probably spelled that wrong) was the best thing I bought for my car. I got sick and tired of the doors/glass being frozen every morning. I bought a bottle of that stuff from Amazon and put it in the correct places along my window seals and haven't had trouble getting into my car since. WELL worth the money.

My stock Michelin 235/55-18 Pilot tires are doing a fantastic job in the snow and ice so I don't feel any need to change them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me, a bottle of Gummi Pfledge Stikh (I probably spelled that wrong) was the best thing I bought for my car. I got sick and tired of the doors/glass being frozen every morning. I bought a bottle of that stuff from Amazon and put it in the correct places along my window seals and haven't had trouble getting into my car since. WELL worth the money.
Never heard of it but I did hear if the windows get stuck the door will not open so it's worth it to keep one handy I guess!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Forgot about the frozen windows. Truly a PIA. My car lives in the garage (and I've been using the Monte for the past few storms) but it got iced one day at work and I had left the scraper in the car. The door opened but it wasn't easy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know this is a little late since Winter is pretty much over here... but for SXT Challenger what is the recommendation for driving in the snow besides slapping on dedicated winter tires? I am from Boston where the winter has been unusually craptastic this year....

PS: This will be a daily driver, no beater will be used.
I winterized my challenger, as it is my daily driver- http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/winterized-challenger-142434/

Basically-
1. Automatic car starter
2. Blizzack snow tires
3. Steel rims (dont want to ruin the nice ones)
4. Fully detailed the outside of the car, with a synthetic sealer and wax, to protect the paint throughout the winter. Lasts 6-8 months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got my new to me '09 undercoated before winter. 17" Ice Blazer winter tires on standard black winter rims. I go through the "supreme" touchless car wash once a week. Winter floor mats but I take some carpet cleaner stuff and clean the salt off once a week.

The windows freezing up every so often when opening the doors is indeed a pain in the ass. I read on here that a can of De-Icer works when sprayed along the bottom of the window seal. I keep it in the trunk and spray when it gets real cold or after car washes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts