Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought since my rims are spending the winter indoors why not make them a winter project and add raised white letter to them I must say I really like the look.
So what is everyone working on for the winter? Challenger wise I am sure there are some creative projects in the works post up and lets hear about them.

·
Banned
675 Posts
wheels and tires look great! Im jealous

·
Registered
531 Posts
That does look good. What technique and materials did you use?

I don't have any winter projects. It's cold in the winter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah what products did u use and where can i find it?
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Looks good. Did you use one of those paint pens like they sell at the parts stores? I do something similar to the Rumble Bee when we show it.:browsmiley:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I thought since my rims are spending the winter indoors why not make them a winter project and add raised white letter to them I must say I really like the look.
So what is everyone working on for the winter? Challenger wise I am sure there are some creative projects in the works post up and lets hear about them.
That looks awesome! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
My winter project may be keeping my truck fully functional for the winter.

Those tires have the "old school" look - I like it.

Please detail how you did the work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks great. I have wanted to do the same, but there have been previous posts where guys have tried it and either:(1) the paint peels after the tire warms up and flexes, or; (2) the white letters turn brown from the chemicals in the rubber bleeding into the paint.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I guess my post was a little misleading sorry about that the real work has not yet begun this is just a mock up out of masking tape to get an idea of the look and see if I liked it the crappy Iphone camera hides the fact that it's masking tape lol.
It took me about an hour to cut out the letters and after I was done I really liked what seen so I decided to make this my winter project I will let you all know what I end up using I am going to be running some tests over the next month or so to see what product I am going with I will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Ok so I guess my post was a little misleading sorry about that the real work has not yet begun this is just a mock up out of masking tape to get an idea of the look and see if I liked it the crappy Iphone camera hides the fact that it's masking tape lol.
It took me about an hour to cut out the letters and after I was done I really liked what seen so I decided to make this my winter project I will let you all know what I end up using I am going to be running some tests over the next month or so to see what product I am going with I will keep you all updated.
Fraud! Fraud!! Fraud!!! :blowingup:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great. I have wanted to do the same, but there have been previous posts where guys have tried it and either:(1) the paint peels after the tire warms up and flexes, or; (2) the white letters turn brown from the chemicals in the rubber bleeding into the paint.
Ya there is alot of wrong ways to do this prep is very important I have 3 different products I am testing if I am not happy with the results I have a product I know works and works well but I need to get it shipped in the other 3 I am getting local so I figured I might as well try them first.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I've used the paint pens and they suck for anything but a low mileage show car. The biggest problem I've had is if they are partly wet (I usually do one tire at a time so I don't have to put the Bee on the lift) they will hold any and all brake dust and need to be touched up. Also be cautious of tire shine, especially the cleaning foams...

·
Registered
94 Posts
this is my winter project , actually it's my nemesis!! it's been to so many body shops and i have had it so long i don't think it will ever get finished. this guy is a neighbor who is retired and does GM F bodies as a hobby. when he's around i hang out at his garage and help with the assembly stuff, i don't touch the bodywork stuff at all.
its a '68 firebird 350 H.O. M21 4spd car. we are currently reassembling the suspension stuff right now. we are doing the last bit of a 4wheel disc conversion.
i have a '70 4bolt 455 and '69 RAIII heads that are under construction at the machine shop. in a perfect world i get this car to a painted assembled rolling chassis and find a Pontiac guy who has a Mopar in similar shape ( "70 RR,cuda,chally) that would swap across.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Any update on the white lettering? What finally worked? I'm sure a lot of us would like to know...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts