Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
stabil will not hurt anything, so doing it is always a safe bet for the $6. Gas is stable for about a yr so they say but breaks down quick after that. A full gas tank is a must however, otherwise you can develope condensation in the airspace due to temperarture differentials.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
491 Posts
I fill my tank and put Sea Foam in tank and run for a bit to get it into the system. No issues with start up

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
2018 392 T/A
Storing for winter, Stabil or no?

My experience with a family member's car is after 6 months the gasoline is stale. (Shell V-Power 91 octane with ethanol.)

However I didn't really know this -- I suspected it -- at the time. The engine started right up and idled well, but in driving the car the engine felt down on power. Not being familiar with the car/engine I thought the engine was a bit of a dog. But wasn't until I drove the car enough to have to add gas that after adding fresh Shell V-Power the engine really perked up and I realized the doggy feeling was due to stale gasoline.

You can use Stabil or not. I'd tend to the "not". Dodge cautions against using any fuel additives.

Won't keep the gasoline from going stale though. So fill up the tank with fresh gasoline -- buy from a busy station -- and then park the car, but only after doing the other things you should do prior to long term storage. Change the oil/filter. Air up the tires. Take steps to avoid rodent infestation. Make arrangements to keep the battery charged.

Come time to resume using the car again the gasoline will be somewhat stale but unless you want to siphon it out and who knows do what with it just drive the car normally and as soon as the tank is say down to 1/2 tank add fresh fuel.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've also see these interesting half round wheel pads that will help keep your tires from flat spotting when sitting for extended periods.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
To prevent flat spotting of the tires do what the factory does. Just inflate the tires to their maximum cold inflation pressure. Then when time to drive the car be sure to adjust tire pressures to what they should be.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Also FCA says to run your A/C on blower High for 5 minutes before storage. Many don't run there compressor at all during the winter and this can cause problems.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,579 Posts
I add the Stabil, after filling the tank up with Mobil 93 (or Shell 93) and then cover her up. I also use a CTEK trickle charger on the battery, along with filling the tires to 40 psi and parking on some old bath towels that are doubled up to prevent the tires from being on cold concrete.

I didn't think of running the A/C during the winter. Thanks for the suggestion Slidd. :cheers:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glad we don't do winter storage where I live in AZ.......mine gets driven year round here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2018 392 T/A
Storing for winter, Stabil or no?

My experience with a family member's car is after 6 months the gasoline is stale. (Shell V-Power 91 octane with ethanol.)

However I didn't really know this -- I suspected it -- at the time. The engine started right up and idled well, but in driving the car the engine felt down on power. Not being familiar with the car/engine I thought the engine was a bit of a dog. But wasn't until I drove the car enough to have to add gas that after adding fresh Shell V-Power the engine really perked up and I realized the doggy feeling was due to stale gasoline.

You can use Stabil or not. I'd tend to the "not". Dodge cautions against using any fuel additives.

Won't keep the gasoline from going stale though. So fill up the tank with fresh gasoline -- buy from a busy station -- and then park the car, but only after doing the other things you should do prior to long term storage. Change the oil/filter. Air up the tires. Take steps to avoid rodent infestation. Make arrangements to keep the battery charged.

Come time to resume using the car again the gasoline will be somewhat stale but unless you want to siphon it out and who knows do what with it just drive the car normally and as soon as the tank is say down to 1/2 tank add fresh fuel.
No additives, including V-Power Shell gas and or Seafoam? Never really had this issue with my Grand Am.

Also I think they have siphons that will pump the gas out for you. Very informative stuff here as when I get my Challenger, I'll be keeping it in storage for the winter. The battery though may be an issue as I'll have it in one of those rental storages. Maybe swap it out with an extra one and keep one on a charger at home. I only got a 1 car garage and want to keep both cars out of the elements.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Freddy- how do you like the CTEK battery tender? I just replaced the original battery, so for sure I want to get a good tender for winter storage.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,579 Posts
Freddy- how do you like the CTEK battery tender? I just replaced the original battery, so for sure I want to get a good tender for winter storage.
I like it. If you're looking for a good charger, then you won't be mad at the CTEK.

I've had it for over 15 years and it works flawlessly. It's got some nice features too. It will work on any type of battery (AGM, conventional,etc) and when it senses that the charge is full, it will monitor the drainage and trickle charge just what the battery needs to get back to full. There are probably other chargers that do the same thing, but I just like the CTEK because of those features and its dependability/reliability.

I don't know how the pricing compares to others, but I think that it's worth the money. I hope that I helped make your decision easier. :cheers:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Freddy- do you know what size/model CTEK you have?

·
Registered
398 Posts
"I use carpet scraps under the wheels and over inflate the tires when storing."

This is great practical advice. My friend from the Chevy club suggested carpet samples under the tires in the winter to insulate and keep the cold garage floor temps from chilling the tires so much.

I try to find carpet samples at dollar stores or small carpet shops. They have bound edges so they don't unravel and attract mice. They are little rectangles, maybe 1.5 feet by two feet?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
"I use carpet scraps under the wheels and over inflate the tires when storing."

This is great practical advice. My friend from the Chevy club suggested carpet samples under the tires in the winter to insulate and keep the cold garage floor temps from chilling the tires so much.

I try to find carpet samples at dollar stores or small carpet shops. They have bound edges so they don't unravel and attract mice. They are little rectangles, maybe 1.5 feet by two feet?

The carpet scraps under the tires do not insulate the tires from the cold of the concrete. Besides the bare concrete chills the air and the air then chills the tires. Uncounted vehicles sit outside year 'round in all kinds of weather, including winter weather, and the tires are fine.

Mice don't need frayed carpet edges to make use of the carpet. I've seen mice -- well the after effects -- of mice from scraping or in some way removing carpet pile from areas of the carpet on the floor of the car.

Just inflate the tires to their max like the factory does when it ships the car. Then come spring adjust the tire pressure and resume using the car.

·
Registered
614 Posts
T Uncounted vehicles sit outside year 'round in all kinds of weather, including winter weather, and the tires are fine.
Besides, tires are supposed to be stored cold, or at least cool.

I have mixed feelings about over inflating them, though. Radial tires like to come unglued, literally, over time as it is. Increasing the forces from within only speeds up the process.
Not that tire longevity due to age is much of a concern with a Challenger.

If I worried about flat spotting, I'd get some of those curved pads mentioned earlier.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts