Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
284 Posts
My storage procedure:

Since I knew wanted at least two of them anyway for working under the car on the exhaust and such, I purchased a full set of 4 Jackpoint Jackstands. Below is my whole process. I know it's likely overkill but got the job done without me worrying about it. After reading various comments about it, I decided Not to add any sort of fuel stabilizer to my gas. Never noticed any issues after it sitting for about 5 months.

[Avoid Tire Flat Spots]
Jackpoint Jackstands to get it completely off the ground.

[Battery Maintaining]
NOCO Genius G7200 12V/24V 7.2 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer
Works on dead batteries, avoids overcharging. If I had it to do again I'd get the 15000 model that's also got a jump start feature.

[Standard Dust/Bug Protection]
The Custom Fit car cover to avoid extra dust or me brushing anything against it when I walk by it.

[Mice Repelling]
Bounce fabric softener sheets EVERYWHERE. Seats, floorboards, trunk, under the hood, under the car, on top the tires, lined across the edge of the garage door. (I live near woods)

[Mice Repelling]
Mint oil soaked cotton balls inside open containers. This also repels mice and smells good (to humans)

[Mice Protection]
Fine Steel Wool filling both exhaust tips to keep mice out of my tunnels.

[Mice Capture]
Tried one of the "Walk the Plank" type of mouse trap that you attach to a bucket of water. Placed it in my garage a few feet from the car and caught about 8 over the season.

[Systems Lubrication]
Started it up once a month and ran the A/C on high to keep all the parts lubricated so nothing is super bone dry when I drive it next.

Take off stands, remove cover, unplug charging connector in trunk, throw away bounce sheets throughout, Start up and Hit The Road!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Freddy- thanks for the info. on the CTEK battery tender, it has good reviews. Did you choose the 3300 model because it's compact?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ash- I put the car up on jackstands one year so the tires could hang down and not flatten out over the winter as you have. When I had one jackstand left to remove on the left rear, the car slipped and by some miracle the stand went up next to the control arm and did not knock off the brake line.

I'll never pull that move again, it's too dangerous to jack up these unibody cars, there's too much body flex. I'd rather have square tires. The carpet remnants also pad the rubber a bit on the concrete.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
LT1,

Thank you for mentioning that. I will be on the lookout for any slippage. Perhaps there was no movement four mine because of the way the jack stands work and have a flat surface to them and the Metal pucks that I have attached underneath.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Ash- I put the car up on jackstands one year so the tires could hang down and not flatten out over the winter as you have. When I had one jackstand left to remove on the left rear, the car slipped and by some miracle the stand went up next to the control arm and did not knock off the brake line.

I'll never pull that move again, it's too dangerous to jack up these unibody cars, there's too much body flex. I'd rather have square tires. The carpet remnants also pad the rubber a bit on the concrete.
Putting the car in the air and letting the wheels droop can expose the shock piston rod to air and this can result in this finely polished surface degrading and when the car is put on the ground again come spring the shock rod surfaces degrade the shock seals and you end up with leaking shocks after a while.

The weight of the car compresses the carpet to a solid with no air space. If you want to do something of some value consider using tire cradles.

In the interim, pump up the tires to their max PSI and they won't flatten. Before you take the car out again adjust the tire pressures to be what the factory recommends.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Agree on that, don't like jacking the car off the ground. There is risk to it and for almost no benefit and plenty things can go wrong. Not sure it's good for the IRS either to be hanging down like that and definitely do not run it in gear while it's hanging down. For your flat spots either pump up the tires to 50 psi or buy the tire pads to prevent them. Also if you ever have to move your car in a hurry you can forget it on stands.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
614 Posts
Also if you ever have to move your car in a hurry you can forget it on stands.
Very good point, Slidd. The need to move the car could arise very shortly after finding that the fire extinguisher on the wall is several years out of date and no longer functional.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
All great information guys! I hadn't yet seen anyone discussing the ill affects of the wheels hanging down but I was curious about it in the back of my mind.

I also thought about potentially using the wheel dolly setup so I could move the car sideways to save space if I wanted to.

Do any of you recommend any specific cradles?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have always filled up the gas tank and used Stabil with each of my Challengers for winter storage and never had a problem. Car fires right up and runs great. I also over inflate the tires to their max to prevent flat spots. And I use a trickle charger to keep the battery at full. I also use dryer fabric sheets in the airbox, engine bay, trunk, inside the rims, and back seat and front seat to keep the mice and chipmunks out. They apparently really don't like that stuff. I also put rags in the muffler pipes to prevent rodents from entering that way. I also have run a ring of moth balls around the car in the garage as another force field for the critters. One year I fired up the car and forgot to remove the muffler rags and they got shot out of the muffler like a cannon ball! The car is washed and waxed and then I cover it for winter. Not messing with what has always worked flawlessly for me.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I follow most of the above, some indifferent ways:
I put my car on wheel dollies which are curved for the tires. I put plastic on the dolly, then carpet to help prevent transfer of moisture. I purchased the dollies from Harbor Freight many years ago. The only problem was that they had metal casters and were hard to move the car. I replaced the casters and they have been easier to move the car. I like to move the car as far to the side as I can to make room for storage and to make it harder to steal. I have always used the red Stabil without any problems and even had it sit for almost 2 years. I will be trying the storage Stabil recommended for gas with ethanol next year.
Jim

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ash- are you using metal pucks between the top of your jackstands and the frame of the car?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Ash- are you using metal pucks between the top of your jackstands and the frame of the car?
Yes I am, to get the lifting point extended slightly so that the jack stands don't hit anything else around them. I also use a quarter inch piece of rubber in between the top of the jack stand and the Metal pucks to avoid sliding.

The top of those jackpoint jackstands is somewhere close to 5 in diameter with a cupped location for the pucks.

Much more stable than the typical jack stands I used to use and I never much cared for the pinch weld idea of jacking.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wouldn't use metal pucks. If they slip you could punch a hole through the floorboards with the top of the jackstand.

I have the old flat head jackstands with the tubular body from college days, I don't think they are made any more. But I just put a piece of cardboard on top of the flat head so I don't scratch the paint. You can also use short pieces of 2" x 4" wood, or rubber hockey pucks. You want something with more grip, and you don't want two items between the stand and the frame, just one. Less chance of slipping. You've really got to watch what you're doing with these unibody cars.

·
Registered
614 Posts
And here I don't even leave my Challenger on the 2-post lift any longer than necessary.
In my mind, the car was built to be supported by the wheels, not to be propped up on chassis points intended for temporary use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the first winter hibernation for my Challenger, but I am using the same procedure I have used for my 2009 Mustang for the past 11 years with no issues.
Change the oil and filter, Fill the fuel tank with Premium, inflate the tires about 3 PSI over spec, hook up the battery maintainer, cover it up and walk away.
I have not even been back for a visit since Halloween when I put them away for the winter. I am blessed to have a very generous neighbor who lets me keep my vehicles in his climate controlled shop alongside his collection. There are always people around, so it is pretty secure, and have never had a vermin issue. Can’t wait for spring!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Winter storage here in Lake Havasu is called pulling it in the garage and getting it out the next day if you need to go anywhere. :devilish::devilish::cool:?
I live in AZ for a good reason!

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
179 Posts
Glad we don't do winter storage where I live in AZ.......mine gets driven year round here.
Me too here in Las Vegas area. Would be a shame to have to store my Chalenger for 6 months or however long it is. Why do you guys do this? So it isnt driven in the salt if you have snow?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Why do you guys do this? So it isnt driven in the salt if you have snow?
Yes, the salt is one reason. A big one. Another is that while I really like driving on snow, with UHP summer tires I can barely get going on flat ground.

And yet another reason is that in snow I can go sideways with much less power, so more "disposable" vehicles can be used, having just as much fun. If not more.

Of course, even without any snow (or salt), there's only so much traction to be had below 40 degrees.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts