Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I'm moving from Louisiana to Denver/Greely Colorado. Anybody have suggestions for a great winter tire for my '14 Challenger RT. I lived most of my life driving in Minnesota so I know the importance of a good winter tire.

My current set up is:
20" Chrome Clads
Staggard Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 275 rear/255 front
-
I still have the stock 18" wheels and am also considering simply running a snow tire on them if I can find a good one that will fit.

Need suggestsions on
-If I should stick with the 20s and just switch out the tires. I imagine that 275's aren't that great in winter. [Back with my Jeep in Minnesota we ran 12.5 x 33" because the 14" tires grabbed the snow too much when you first hit it and would cause a spin]
-if I should just go with a snow tire and what width
-Anybody know what the Denver PD uses on their chargers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Blizzaks are the best!

I'd get some for your 18s. Switching back and forth on the 20s is rough on the wheels and tires.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I used Michelin X-ice Xi2 in 235/55R18 on my 2010 R/T. Worked great in crappy Saskatchewan winters. They will fit your 18 inch wheels perfectly, and handle whatever winter throws at them. That is my recommendation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used 255/55R18 Blizzaks on my '09 R/T and they looked and worked great. Fairly common SUV size, same diameter as the 255/45R20.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I used Firestone Winterforce tires in size 225/60-18. They were outstanding in the snow and not all that expensive either. I got mine studded to be sure I could get up and down the 1 mile, 9% grade hill to work every day.

I mounted them on take off stock rims that were just like the ones my car came with. Switched them in the garage for December-January-February. It took me ~ half an hour to swap all four.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
Cooper WeatherMaster WSC also has several sizes that will work and can be studded too. Mine in 235/55R18 have gone through 3 winters so far and enough tread for at least a couple more. Went with a skinnier width after some researching so it better cuts through the snow to the pavement.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Really
It's just getting into warm temps here in Eastern Canada and you're asking about winter tires. Come on man you're killing me. Winter anything is not accepatable at this time. Lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm hesitant to go back to the 235s. I had nothing but problems with them in the Louisiana Rain. Car just wanted to spin. Without trying I'd shake the rear loose through the first 3-4 gears. Damn Michelin's.

Anybody using 255's in the snow with a winter or snow tire? or do you think that's too wide?

I'm just planning ahead... :) Gotta get my tire budget set so I can get the mod budget going for the end of this summer. I'm putting off any more car, jeep and motorcycle mods until I'm in Colorado. Working on cars in this muggy Louisiana heat is brutal.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
For snow, 225 18" is wide enough. You just can't drive aggressively on dry roads, especially if you stud the tires. For a few months of careful driving, it is worth it to know that you won't get stuck.

My studded Winterforce tires on the '09 were better in the snow than most of the FWD cars with their all-season tires.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm hesitant to go back to the 235s. I had nothing but problems with them in the Louisiana Rain. Car just wanted to spin. Without trying I'd shake the rear loose through the first 3-4 gears. Damn Michelin's.

Anybody using 255's in the snow with a winter or snow tire? or do you think that's too wide?

I'm just planning ahead... :) Gotta get my tire budget set so I can get the mod budget going for the end of this summer. I'm putting off any more car, jeep and motorcycle mods until I'm in Colorado. Working on cars in this muggy Louisiana heat is brutal.
Did you say "Jeep mods" ???? There's the solution to your summer/winter tire issue.... Drive your Jeep in the winter and put the Challenger away for a few months. :saythat:

·
Registered
59 Posts
X2 for Blizzacks or Pirelli winter tires. Best you can get. I would also but 4 50lb bags of cat litter in the trunk between the tires. If you get stuck on ice you can always lay some down to get out. Sand is to fine and messy in the trunk. Litter vacs up nice and doesn't get imbedded in the carpet. If you don't use them give to a friend with a cat in the spring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I traded in an 08 Charger Daytona for a 17 SRT 392. The original wheels from the Charger had LM-60 245/45R20s. Without them in the NE the Charger was almost un-drivable with All Seasons in the Winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts