Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright kids I need help here!!! i purchased the lockpick and front and rear cameras for my car. I'm looking at the wiring and something is not making sense!!! the cameras have rca pins on the wiring but the lockpick harness has tails with red barrel connectors crimped on one side and an uncrimped other side. I also have the audio/video harness that came with the lockpick which has the recieving ends for the rca plugs, but where does that harness plug into. Are there 2 ports in the back of the radio, one for the lockpick harness and one for the camera harness? I don't want to start ripping apart my console unless i have an idea of how this is supposed to be connected. I also would like to be able to turn on the cameras at the push of a button and not just when i put the car in gear. Has any one completed this setup? I know there are a million threads that show how to install the lockpick, but none really go into detail about the wiring. If any body has any input with pictures and diagrams ( I have a very simple mind LOL) it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe we could even make it a sticky!!! Im sure there are more people out there who would like to do this mod but are concerned with the wiring as well. Thanks again guys and girls!!!!

Jim.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Did you get the instructions with the Lockpick? It's been a while back that I put mine in but I know the center plug is were the media harness goes. The other one should have the radio pluged in when you start. They won't plug in the wrong place. The splices that you were talking about is were you hook camera power to. Depending when you want it on is how you pick what one to use. That's why I ask if you had instructions. The rca connectors on the media hook to the ones comming from the camera. I've got my instructions here some were and if you need more help I'll find them and be more specific. As far as turning the cameras on when not backing up you just hit some buttons on the radio to do that if you have the power wires the right place. I'll look that up if you need too.
Below are the insructions website.
Rick
http://www.coastaletech.com/media/MYGIG%20LOCKPICK%20V.3%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I did forget to mention that we have the slow buss speed and if you set that wrong it will cause problems.
Rick

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Itzrick i appreciate the help!! I do have the directions but they might as well have written them in chinese LOL. I just looked at the wiring again and i think i have it figured out, but it's too cold in my garage today to screw with it. i might have to wait for a little warmer weather!!! I do have a question about the front cam though, and I don't know if u can help me but........ The front cam has 4 wires coming off it just like the rear cam, one is a yellow rca plug the other is a black one for the power, and the last two have little white connectors on them. One of them is for doing away with the distance markings and the other is to do away with the mirror image view and give u a normal view. for the front cam i want to do away with the mirror image view dont I? well if I have to connect to the little white connectors, what am i connecting to it? there is a package with the female adaptors that connect to them but what wires do i put on the connectors? Am i supposed to cut off the rca head and replace it with the white female adaptor? Does this make any sense to you or are u as confused as I am? any one else out there please feel free to chime in. I have included a pic as to what im talking about.
Thanks Jim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Jim, Don't cut anything. I don't have a front camera but I'm pretty sure you just take the little thing out of the white wire socket that's for the mirror immage or you put it in. It's been awhile ago that I put it in but whatever you do with the back one do the opisite for the front. The white marker wire you just put the little thing in the socket acording to wether you want the markers on. I love them on the back but don't think I would want them on the front.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I was rereading what you said and let me make it a little clearer. The white wires don't hook to anything. You just put the little plugs your talking about in them or leave them out according to what you want them to do. Anything else please ask. Don't cut and splice anything. The only crimps you make are on the camera power and ground connection.
Rick

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh i see the white plugs are left open if u want the default but close them with the connector to go the opposite way!!! now its maaking sense. (I think) thanks again itzrick as soon as im done with this mod i will try and do a video. Like i said though i have to for a little warmer day.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
oh i see the white plugs are left open if u want the default but close them with the connector to go the opposite way!!! now its maaking sense. (I think) thanks again itzrick as soon as im done with this mod i will try and do a video. Like i said though i have to for a little warmer day.
Ya that's what I was trying to say about the white wires. I don't blame you for waiting it's always best to take your time and do it right the first time and I hate the cold myself and would rush thru it and mess something up if I did it in the cold. Let us know how it goes and if you need anything let me know. If you need something after tonight you mighyt want to PM me or start a new thread. I useually don't keep up with old threads.
Rick

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jim it sounds like Rick got you straightened out. I just finished wiring mine up (Lockpick and rearview cam from Coastaletech) Friday night so it's all fresh if you have further questions.

The little things you put into white sockets - those are jumpers. They just close the connection as you surmised to change whether a feature is included or not. In my case I was confused by the crimp connectors for the power and ground - it's been a long time since I've worked on any electronics and back when I did, I was never working with crimp connectors.

One thing you mentioned that hasn't been responded to - you can in fact switch on the cameras when not in gear. (Certainly with the rearview cam which is what I have) The instructions you received should include a page or two on the lockpick programming, which describes how to use the radio buttons to access the lockpick-added functions. For example, I can press the UConnect (phone) button twice to show the rearview cam and it will stay on regardless of gear.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks gentlemen for all your help! I hope to tackle this some day this week, so if i have any problems i will be sending out the PM's so keep ur eyes open for me. If I dont talk to u I either haven't started it yet or I did it and all went well. Eitherway if u dont hear from me have a safe and happy holiday season!!
Jim B

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
good point, I thought I mentioned the radio buttons turned on cameras and stuff if power wires hooked right but i didn't expand on it because I never use them. I do remember there was also a neet feature they talked about that if you wanted you could make the front camera come on when you get to a certain speed. I don't know much about this product, just glad I have it for the basics.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Looks like Rick is on the right track. I just put mine in about a month ago. All you have to do is read and re-read the instructions until it makes sense. When it clicks, you can install it in no time. When you take out your radio, you pull out the big grey plug and insert your new plug in the radio and plug the one you took out in the back side of it. The white AV plug goes in the white socket next to that. Heed what it says about going in hard. Put the radio in your lap and push the plug in. Then again and again. You will see it go in each time until it is flush. If you don't push it in far enough, you won't make contact and you will swear the unit is bad. Your two yellow RCA plugs will go into the camera input. I think you will need a Y cord because you have a front camera. Rick is right about the red crimp connectors. The rear goes in the orange marked reverse. Look at the instructions to see where the front goes. Probably both grounds go in the black. If you need to see some other threads on how to fish the wire through the firewall to the front, I can find them for you. To turn on the camera without putting it in reverse, just hit the uconnect button twice for on and twice more for off. For those following this thread, if I had to do it over again, I probably would not have gone with the high priced one and got the $70 red framed one to save some money. I don't know if you need the expanded wide angle. I think the specs are the same, but I would try not to get the super sensitive one as it is washed out in bright sun. Works nice on a cloudy day. Even my reverse light at night is too bright for the camera. Also, I am working on a relay to turn off my license plate light when the camera and reverse light is on as it washes out the camera to a point of worthlessness.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Wallnetto thanks, I've heard that complaint about the camera and backup lights alot but I don't have that problem. What kinda camera you useing and were's it at? Mine is the cheap one that bolts to the top of the plate.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Boyo VTL375

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't mean to hijack thread but how do I connect the crimps to the two open wires? Do I pull back the crimps then twist and pull back up? Or do i just stick it in straight and tape it up? Cause when I hit reverse the entire screen is just black and I need to turn off engine and back on just get back to main menu. What could I have done wrong? It's a 2012 Challenger and lockpick v4.

**update**
So I just put the wires straight in and twisted then taped it. I see the TV option on the 730n. However when I reverse the camera does activate but it's pure black. All it says is to view all surroundings bit no picture at all and no lights on camera.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Gosh, it has been a while. Do you have the camera plugged into the AV harness which is plugged into the back of the radio? Then you have to power the camera. I inserted the positive wire into the reverse wire connector and then crimped it with my crimping pliers that came with my set. I crimped the ground to the ground wire.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, I did all that, however, it was not powering the camera. So I just cut off the crimp and skinned the sheath, ended up twisting the wires together, worked a lot better. I plugged it into the dongle that says "Reverse Camera" instead of plugging it in directly to the LockPick box. Did you guys plug it in directly? Does it work better? Currently, when I hit reverse, the camera goes on automatically. However, when I go through the menu and hit "View" backup camera, I have to toggle it around to show the video. Should I plug it in directly to the LockPick input?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
You must have a different setup than I do. It is supposed to turn the camera on when you go into reverse. When I hit the phone button twice it will tun on the camera all the other times.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, I did all that, however, it was not powering the camera. So I just cut off the crimp and skinned the sheath, ended up twisting the wires together, worked a lot better. I plugged it into the dongle that says "Reverse Camera" instead of plugging it in directly to the LockPick box. Did you guys plug it in directly? Does it work better? Currently, when I hit reverse, the camera goes on automatically. However, when I go through the menu and hit "View" backup camera, I have to toggle it around to show the video. Should I plug it in directly to the LockPick input?
Just did hookup my Lockpic over Christmas. Leave the camera plugged into the harness, it will not work correctly if plugged into the lockpic box plug marked "revcam" found that out before I buttoned everything up though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts