Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, recently installed an El Wire kit in my 2019 Challenger SXT. I spliced it into my footwell light on the driver side like a video showed. It's not working. In the videos it shows a red and black wire for the kits I saw, while mine is a black wire and black with grey wire. Wired black on black and black/grey with white wire. I used quick connect slicers as well. Any advice on how to fix my problem without having to cut wires would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
I don't know anything about the wiring in the footwell, but if you know the wires are secure, and it doesn't work. Then the only thing I can suggest is to swap the wires. Can you do that with quick connect slicers?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My guess is that the "quick connect" connectors aren't making proper contact. Those things suck. You'd be better off just stripping a little insulation off of the wires "manually" and connecting the EL wire power wires that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know if there is a way to remove the quick connectors without cutting the wires??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know anything about the wiring in the footwell, but if you know the wires are secure, and it doesn't work. Then the only thing I can suggest is to swap the wires. Can you do that with quick connect slicers?
Not that I'm aware of. They clamp into the wire, so I'm fearing I might have to cut the wire to remove the quick splice clips

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had the same problem, use the red ones, i used the blue ones, gage is too big, got them to work by cutting insulation with razor blade, i also spliced a bigger gage wire to the el wires since they are tiny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had the same problem, use the red ones, i used the blue ones, gage is too big, got them to work by cutting insulation with razor blade, i also spliced a bigger gage wire to the el wires since they are tiny.
How did you get the blue ones off? I'm trying to avoid cutting any wires so that I dont mess any wires up

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You should be able to remove them without issue? They don't actually "cut" the wire when they are installed - they basically just cut through the wire insulation in order to make contact with the wire. You should be able to remove them and even use the spot where they cut through the insulation as an easy way to remove a little section of the insulation so that you can connect the EL wire to them directly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should be able to remove them without issue? They don't actually "cut" the wire when they are installed - they basically just cut through the wire insulation in order to make contact with the wire. You should be able to remove them and even use the spot where they cut through the insulation as an easy way to remove a little section of the insulation so that you can connect the EL wire to them directly.
Thanks, appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks, appreciate the help!
You are very welcome. Be sure to post some pictures of the EL wire after you get it all up and running. It's funny, I was just considering doing a little el-wire in my 2018 Challenger - interested to see the results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are very welcome. Be sure to post some pictures of the EL wire after you get it all up and running. It's funny, I was just considering doing a little el-wire in my 2018 Challenger - interested to see the results.
If I can get it to work I definitely will!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts