Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day at the strip tomorrow.
Alaska Raceway park.
Projected DA for the first run is around -1750 Ft.

Hoping not to embarrass the name. And definitely hitting up last minute tips.
Running 305 NT555Rs on 20x11s at the rear, and at 26-2 base PSI
A8 auto with traction control off, and logging the runs on a Trinity 2.
Mixing 97 octane down to about 93-94 in case the meth/water injector fails.
Running base/6.5 lbs of boost. Hoping to get to 8 shortly for the track, and will use the data to assist with that.

Trying not to get walked by the mustang crowd, but we’ll see.
Already checked the diff brace and lug nuts for proper torque.
Borrowing a helmet- that’s one area I could use some advice on for something Snell rated.
Been hitting the app for launch simulation, and will use that to help determine roll-out in the real world.

Anyway, hope it goes well, and thank to everyone 5at has posted real world info for the assistance. Will report back at the end of the day!

Cheers,

Chuck

·
Registered
168 Posts
First day at the strip tomorrow.
Alaska Raceway park.
Projected DA for the first run is around -1750 Ft.

Hoping not to embarrass the name. And definitely hitting up last minute tips.
Running 305 NT555Rs on 20x11s at the rear, and at 26-2 base PSI
A8 auto with traction control off, and logging the runs on a Trinity 2.
Mixing 97 octane down to about 93-94 in case the meth/water injector fails.
Running base/6.5 lbs of boost. Hoping to get to 8 shortly for the track, and will use the data to assist with that.

Trying not to get walked by the mustang crowd, but we’ll see.
Already checked the diff brace and lug nuts for proper torque.
Borrowing a helmet- that’s one area I could use some advice on for something Snell rated.
Been hitting the app for launch simulation, and will use that to help determine roll-out in the real world.

Anyway, hope it goes well, and thank to everyone 5at has posted real world info for the assistance. Will report back at the end of the day!

Cheers,

Chuck
Good luck, post your times and a picture of your time slip please

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
In for your results!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I was at Alaska raceway park today. I believe I saw you make several passes. I was driving a friend’s dark blue challenger (mine is awaiting parts after a piston fail). He swore he heard a supercharger whine on your passes. He obviously has better hearing then me but it does explain your trap speed. I think a lot of us had some issues getting the cars to hook much of the time.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I had my Micky Thompson radials at 18psi and was thinking I should have dropped to 16psi

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unleashed HP has race gas. While most of it was spoken for from preorder, I managed to pick up two pails of 97 from them. I mixed that with pump to get it to 93.5ish. While the water/methanol injector seemed to do the trick keeping everything cool (was able to rest my hand on the blower after three straight runs), I wanted some extra insurance as these were the first real WOT runs the car has seen. I would say max effort, but since I made just about every new guy mistake there is today, it would be more tongue in cheek.

John, if that was the knucklehead that was in the black scat, that was me. If it was also the idiot that did a burnout almost to the 1/8 off the line that one run, then that was definitely me :IThankYou:

Had to learn, but it was a great group of people to learn from at a beautiful track. Also starting to figure out that there is a lot of work, prep, and skill in getting consistent runs. I like to shoot when I can get to the range, and there is definitely the same element of working toward getting everything to consistently “click” together.

Anyway, if the time slip is tough to read, best run of the day was 11.92, owing mostly to a need to continue to work on driver mods. Had a hard time getting under a 2.0 60ft. Ran the tires down to 28 psi to start, and worked down to 25. Seemed to help a bit. However, if this becomes a steady hobby, then the rest of the drivetrain is going to need some work and some slicks need to go on. Everybody had a hard time hooking today, but I think I can probably do some work with tires and suspension to fix that. Projected best times for optimal we’re suppose to be about 11.7, so I have a little work to do on me to try to get there. Thinking taking some more pressure out of the tires is probably a start.

Also need to get the right trinity in, as I had tried to order the EX, and ended up with an MX by mistake. Should have that fixed in a week. Contacted Johan about a tune, and will be tuning for injection on an 8lbs pulley. I know the pistons aren’t going to hold up forever on that setup, but hoping to have a long block on order toward the end of the season- hence the other thread on head configuration. Figure a block swap is not a long job, and something that can get done while I’m in the field for a few weeks later. Currently getting some Boostane on order to ensure sufficient octane not to knock going down the road. So far in logging, I have not seen any knock at all, and the temps all the way around have stayed lower than stock. IATs have seen a max spike at (gasp) 142F. That was sucking tailpipe in the lanes right after a run, and were lower going down the strip.

The blower is awesome. Not experiencing surging or light switching issues. I can definitely feel the BOV when it closes completely, but it’s very manageable, and not at all tough to drive. Wondering how much of that is due to the current boost levels, and what the effect will be when it gets turned up.

Either way, thanks to you John and everyone else that was there’s, as it was definitely a good time, and I’m looking forward to the next test and tune.

Cheers,

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, went back for a test and tune last night. Managed to hit 11.66 with a 1.86 60ft.
Not consistent, and the majority of the known-good runs were around 11.75 and a 1.95.

Thinking my builder messed around with the tune a bit before the meth/water injector went on- KB says it should dyno around 535, and it came back 515 on their hub dyno. Next step is to work on developing the driver for consistency, add an 8 lbs pulley, do some calcs on the volume on the injector, re-tune everything via Johan, and start trying to follow some of the suspension builds.

When finances are back in order, will be getting in touch with Luke about the JRI coilovers, and following Heated’s build for other suspension mods.

Hoping by the end of the season to be down to a consistent 11.4, get a new block or pistons in by next year, do something with the fuel and injectors, and keep at it next year. I have three seasons here if I’m lucky to learn what I’m doing, so I figure I’ll be about 10% of the way there or better by then ��.

My thanks to John for his advice, and will try to have some open eyes and ears going forward.

Next question- at what point do I need to start worrying about wear on drivetrain components? Hoping to make 100 or so passes this year, possibly more. Got 25 down now, and trying to plan for unforeseen maintenance that wouldn’t occur to an amateur. Doing the research, but open to any suggestions and advice.

Already figure on brake pads, potentially rotors, brake fluid, oil changes at earlier intervals.
Anything I’m missing I need to worry about? Wheel studs maybe?

Cheers,

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts