Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car would start most of the time then it just stopped and it won’t start. The engine cranks over but will not start.

• mobile mechanic came out
  • he said no pressure from pump
  • he said he checked everything and it was the fuel pump.
  • I ordered the fuel pump, spectra, and he then tripled his price to 300 to install.
  • I put it in my self.
  • still did not work. Fuse is good.
  • with the backseat out I still could not hear the new fuel pump priming.
  • I then bought a tipm from a salvage yard and put it in. The tipm was from a V6 challenger.
  • I tried to reset the tipm by letting it sit when I started the car so it would pull the car information into the tipm.
  • I noticed the mobile mechanic left a wire un-connected that attaches to the flexible hose from the engine that goes to the air filter.

i am thinking that there must be some other kill switch or hose that the mechanic did not reconnect that is causing the issue.

what else can I check to make sure I am not missing something.
I have replaced the fuse
I have replaced the fuel pump on driver side
I have replaced the tipm with used unit from the salvage yard.

Anyone in spring north of Houston?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did go off the information from a mobile mechanic, who said he had tested everything and determined it was the fuel pump.

There seems to be a lot of information about cars cranking and not starting based on the fuel relay which is hard soldered into the tipm.

I am also in the process of doing another hard reset by disconnecting the battery cables and keeping them touching for 2 hours to drain the capacitors.

I also tested the power to the plug at the fuel pump and did get some sort of electrical reading.

I feel like I am missing something simple like fuel cut off switch or something. It’s like something is telling the fuel pump not to pump.

the gas gauge is working so the pump must be getting power right?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right about the first guy diagnosing the fuel pump being bad. I still have the old one so I will test that one with a 12v battery to see if I removed a working fuel pump. I am towing it to the shop tomorrow. I am skilled enough to change out parts hoping it will solve the problem.
The hard re-start did not work.
I gave it a shot.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that the codes have been cleared when I did a reset, how will the code reader see anything since the car is not throwing off check engine codes.

What is the likely hood it is a pcm?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I towed it to the shop and they said the fuel relay for the 2013 Challenger was in the trunk fuse box not the tipm and they changed it and everything worked. I don’t understand how come AutoZone didn’t have the relay part, the Dodge dealership wouldn’t sell me a relay part because they said it was soldered on, I couldn’t find it on this forum and no one had mentioned that the fuel relay was in the trunk, and I can’t find anywhere that says the fuel relay is in the trunk.
For all of the forums and advice on 2013 challenger that will crank but can’t start, not one mentioned the fuel relay in the trunk. I’m not sure what’s going on but the guy said my car is fixed and maybe it was a bad relay in the trunk.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the information. I am picking up the car tomorrow. I spent hours looking on the internet doing searches on the fuel relay and they all pointed to the tipm, the fuse the pcm... I did see the link you provided to the parts page that shows the mini relay. What I am wondering is why it did not come up on any forums, or when I called the dealer, when i posted here or went to autozone. The answer only came up here after I posted what it was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts