Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking pictures for another thread, and figured I take several for those wondering what all was under the top of the SHAKER scoop. Also I took a couple pictures of what the hood looks like without the SHAKER top on. And no, I don't care that there is rain water dirt under it.
The large removeable cap is just an access panel to get to the stock oil fill cap. If you don't have that large panel/cap/cover it would allow more hot air to rise into the scoop when sitting, and would let fresh air out before making it to the air filter. So it would probably be a big negative overall.
1 - Before removal

2 - From above

3 - After removing the top (4 x 10mm acorn nuts, you can see the rear 2 in the previous picture)

4 - Picture of the access cap, and the port/tube that the fresh air flows through to the air filter box.

5 - Cap removed so you can see the actual oil fill cap.

6 - Underside of removed cap/cover

7,8,9 What the car looks like with the SHAKER top removed, then put back together. (total time for all of this was only 3 minutes, it is very easy and quick to remove and reinstall)

·
Registered
583 Posts
A friend of mine did a full shaker kit on his charger , it looks pretty bad ass!!!! Nice pics !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
LOL, Mine doesn't have that little belt and pulley ^ : )

great pics Pioneer4x4 ! Shaker is a nice option. It catches your eye while driving, it moves just a very little bit from time to time.
So is the Shaker airbox bottom like the 'Hellcat's in dimensions except the hole is cut in the front for the headlight intake tube, where it is on the backside for the Shaker intake tube ?

I wonder if you bought that Hellcat box kit that has the tube, and just cut the backside for the shaker tube, and you have the best of both worlds on air intake ? hmmmmmmm
best regards

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... I wonder if you bought that Hellcat box kit that has the tube, and just cut the backside for the shaker tube, and you have the best of both worlds on air intake ? hmmmmmmm
best regards
My airbox is open in the front, and the headlight tube is open as well. (I assume P.O. did that?)
You can see the blue air filter from the front. I plan on buying the MOPAR duct to connect them, just because it exists, no real reason. Would be neat on Halloween to put an orange glow LED in there, and in the SHAKER with a fog generator so it rolls out the headlight while parked and the little kiddies walk past it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,539 Posts
Luke knows people who know people...nuff said :censored:

A Guy

Reactions: Unicorn

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'd love a nice low boost setup tucked under there. Nothing too radical, even 5PSI, Somewhere around equal to black key level.
Never happen, I wanted to spend the cash on doing that to my Charger's 5.7. Wife said no way, but she approved of spending a lot more going to a newer Scat Pack, so win-win!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
My airbox is open in the front, and the headlight tube is open as well. (I assume P.O. did that?)
You can see the blue air filter from the front. I plan on buying the MOPAR duct to connect them, just because it exists, no real reason. Would be neat on Halloween to put an orange glow LED in there, and in the SHAKER with a fog generator so it rolls out the headlight while parked and the little kiddies walk past it.
Since you have both air intakes installed can you tell us if you can feel or tell if there is any difference by adding that headlight air intake to the shaker system?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
LOL, Mine doesn't have that little belt and pulley ^ : )

great pics Pioneer4x4 ! Shaker is a nice option. It catches your eye while driving, it moves just a very little bit from time to time.
So is the Shaker airbox bottom like the 'Hellcat's in dimensions except the hole is cut in the front for the headlight intake tube, where it is on the backside for the Shaker intake tube ?

I wonder if you bought that Hellcat box kit that has the tube, and just cut the backside for the shaker tube, and you have the best of both worlds on air intake ? hmmmmmmm
best regards
:unsure: :unsure:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since you have both air intakes installed can you tell us if you can feel or tell if there is any difference by adding that headlight air intake to the shaker system?
As I said, I don’t have the duct installed behind the open headlight tube. And my firm opinion is all, as in ALL CAI for these cars are snake oil. They all provide zero pressure increase by design, and at best they cannot provide more than a couple degrees cooler air. The stock airbox while driving gets under 10 degrees above ambient, temps vary more than that all day. If anything I would bet a white car vs black car would make more difference on a sunny day than any, ANY CAI over stock airbox. CAI are popular because they made tiny engines sound different. Do people honestly believe that Dodge (for example) spent millions of dollars and came up with 485hp and didn’t think that if a different intake added measurable power they would have included it? Or at least brag about its increase? I have seen 50 degrees over ambient in traffic in my SPS and as low as 7 over ambient while driving. Same range as my 2015 Charger R/T R&T.
All that being said, on a hot sunny day the SHAKER could be a smidge better than the rest getting fresher air higher off the hot pavement and exhaust area that is closer to the road surface when at speed. But the additional weight of the SHAKER setup has to make it an overall negative. Face it, the easiest way to make any car faster is to remove parts, staring with all the spoilers and other sporty looking stuff.
But how many normal hood owners wish they got a SHAKER vs how many SHAKER owners wish they didn’t...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
As I said, I don’t have the duct installed behind the open headlight tube. And my firm opinion is all, as in ALL CAI for these cars are snake oil. They all provide zero pressure increase by design, and at best they cannot provide more than a couple degrees cooler air. The stock airbox while driving gets under 10 degrees above ambient, temps vary more than that all day. If anything I would bet a white car vs black car would make more difference on a sunny day than any, ANY CAI over stock airbox. CAI are popular because they made tiny engines sound different. Do people honestly believe that Dodge (for example) spent millions of dollars and came up with 485hp and didn’t think that if a different intake added measurable power they would have included it? Or at least brag about its increase? I have seen 50 degrees over ambient in traffic in my SPS and as low as 7 over ambient while driving. Same range as my 2015 Charger R/T R&T.
All that being said, on a hot sunny day the SHAKER could be a smidge better than the rest getting fresher air higher off the hot pavement and exhaust area that is closer to the road surface when at speed. But the additional weight of the SHAKER setup has to make it an overall negative. Face it, the easiest way to make any car faster is to remove parts, staring with all the spoilers and other sporty looking stuff.
But how many normal hood owners wish they got a SHAKER vs how many SHAKER owners wish they didn’t...
So true a black car gets real hot add black interior extra crispy...when the sun hits it. A white car reflects the sun so it stays alot cooler. I would never get a car in black just too difficult to keep looking clean and swirls, blemishes show up more wheras white is the opposite.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts