Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're making plans to attend the Woodward Dream Cruise this year. Last time we went, we were real noobs and didn't plan ahead for a place to park to watch the festivities. How do we go about getting a place? Are there club members who would share a place with us? Are there other ways of getting a place to park along Woodward?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey I am wondering the same thing. Last year someone on here organized something but I don't know who it was.

Eric

·
Registered
108 Posts
Last year Steve Legel and I organized a parking area for a group of owners. I am planning on doing the same again this year. Plans are already in the works, we will post some info in the not to distant future. The official event is the 3rd Saturday in August. If you are unfamiliar with the event just google Woodward Dream Cruise and check it out.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last year Steve Legel and I organized a parking area for a group of owners. I am planning on doing the same again this year. Plans are already in the works, we will post some info in the not to distant future. The official event is the 3rd Saturday in August. If you are unfamiliar with the event just google Woodward Dream Cruise and check it out.
As long as you accept Chargers, I'm interested.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any update on this?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Jon, thnak you for the gentle reminder.

Bill has secured the same Church (13 1/2 mile just west of Woodward) the entrance is on 13 1/2 mile Rd, and the grassy parking and lawn area extends all the way to Woodward where we had canopies and great viewing. Also just a 1/2 mile walk to the Dodge Exhibit at 13 Mile Rd.

Bill has done all the work.

I will start posting updates and gathering sign ups so we know who is coming, and save spaces.

The church there has been very generous and we are thinking of passing the hat for a donation to thier upkeep fund. Bill has personally taken on some expenses for fencing and set up.

Watch for more posts on both the main discussion board and in the Midwest (Michigan) section.
Steve

·
Registered
161 Posts
Royal Oak has become a very unpleasant place to go.
The police assume everyone is the enemy and make it clear that the event is unwanted.If you go there be very careful not to disturb them in the slightest,and there will be hundreds of officers brought in from Detroit and other areas.
It will be strictly controlled with mini stations set up everywhere in an effort to catch someone not conforming to the strict set of rules.The slightest infraction will bring consequences.

Pontiac has been friendly toward the cruisers and onlookers.Birmingham is friendly and accommodating.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Steve. Count me in, and I'll be glad to make a donation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just wanted to clarify something. When I researched this project, the first place I looked at was Birmingham. Was told 8000 dollars to rent a parking lot for the day. This was by the city, not a private owner. Then I checked Pontiac, in fact, I have a friend with a business there who throws an awesome all week party. If you are truly familiar with the area, you know as I do that enforcement is very lax, perhaps non-existant. Just a little too crazy for my tastes. Royal Oak has enforcement, yes, but for a reason. It should be obvious-you get a huge crowd, add alcohol or immaturity or both, and you have problems. The event is well run, the vehicles are secure, and I have never in all the years I have been there, had a problem with law enforcement. In fact, just the opposite. They have always been very gracious and helpful. We have a very safe, secure area that has full access to cruising and all of the major attractions are literally within walking distance. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I lived in Royal Oak for several years before moving away.
Maybe a first hand observation from a well known car club organizer would be of some help in deciding
where to enjoy the event.Hope this link works,see you in Pontiac!

Cruisin' MI

·
Registered
108 Posts
Having attended the Arts Beats and Eats events in both venues, I will completely agree that Royal Oak has a problem holding that event, and yes, it was better in Pontiac. And yes, I agree, that "cruising" is a problem with the Royal Oak Police in general any night of the year especially during the week before the official cruise. In fact, I will park in Birmingham when I go down there. That is exactly why the site we are using was chosen. The purpose and intent of our participation was to provide a safe and friendly environment for people who are not familiar with the event, especially those who are from out of town and unfamiliar with the area. Sorry, but I personally would not recommend Pontiac. Oh, by the way, I have lived in Waterford for the last 25 years, so I do have some familiarity with the area.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Im in again this year i had a great time last year and you guys had a great parking spot Please keep us updated Thanks again Bill and Steve

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I would also be interested in attending this year, as well as willing to chip in some dough to help cover expenses. Please keep us updated.

·
Banned
162 Posts
I am in again this year . Without question money will be chipped in ! keep us posted please and thank-you

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the interest guys, as soon as I get my Lapeer Road event handled I will be able to give full attention to this event. Oh boy, this is gonna be great!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've had the pleasure of attending the Woodward event on 6 occasions since 2002, when I first heard of it.

Everyplace, in my opinion, between 9 mile and Pontiac is 'safe'.. beyond 9-10mile road, you're on your own to the downtown area.

The police 'enforcement' is best described as 'extremely forgiving'. If you don't get outlandishly reckless, they're pretty much 'cool' all the way up and down the Blvd. If you get stupid, particularly at corners where there are serious crowds/children, then you get what you deserve, IMO.

It's a FANTASTIC event that should be attended by every car guy(gal) at least once. 50,000 ... yes 50,000 cars of all makes/models/shapes/sizes attend this event. Insofar as 'parking' along the Avenue, don't know... never done it... it's a CRUISE truly. Not a parking lot show, but literally cruising the avenue is what it's all about.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Here is a link to a vid made a few years ago when we had over 180 prowlers show up for the event... For the first (and only) time in Woodward Avenue cruise history, they actually stopped the traffic on the drive to let us out as a group, peeling onto the avenue from a parking area made available to us by Chrysler at 13 Mile Road. It was 'wtf' at first by the crowd, and then as it went on and on and on, it became a roaring approval. :)

Enjoy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Rs Krupa The place that they have is great!!!! You can leave and go cruise and then come back to your spot.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts