Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 3 track events and about 8,600 miles my NT05s were basically done. Grip was way down last time out to the track and with winter coming I wanted to make sure I was able to drive in the rain if I had no choice.

The NT05s were easily the best tires I've run, so why did I change? I did some reading and found that a lot of people who used to run NT05s at the track switched to the Michelin PSS and said it did even better. That combined with a higher treadwear rating and 30,000-mile treadlife warranty and it was a no-brainer. The PSS in 255/45ZR20 were only $50/tire more than the NT05, too. Bonus!

I'll post up as the miles go on, right now I have about a mile on the new tires so I can't comment on how they do. Apparently they also take a few hundred miles to break-in and really grip.

Here's how the NT05s started out...

Here's how they ended up...

And here are the new Michelins...

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Wow, that's one used up tire right there. Good job!

:)
Haha, thanks. Yeah, the last 3/32 or so went REAL quick at the track. Grip was pretty crappy at that point, but I still did ok. I had 3/32 left (The TWIs either weren't touched yet or just barely touching pavement) when I got to the track. This pic was after I got home. :)

Can't wait to see how the Michelins do!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Subscribed
I want to see how they stack up

·
Registered
627 Posts
They look really good when there new but they look like a deflated boob job when there bald

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Jeeze my NT05s if I was lucky would last 5k til the next oil change. My father has the PS2\Michelin on his CTS-V. Yeah, they are pretty crazy tires. Michelin has by far the best rubber compound out, also I think the ONLY tire that is covered in staggered configuration?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeeze my NT05s if I was lucky would last 5k til the next oil change. My father has the PS2\Michelin on his CTS-V. Yeah, they are pretty crazy tires. Michelin has by far the best rubber compound out, also I think the ONLY tire that is covered in staggered configuration?
Yeah, the treadlife warranty applies for staggered tires but the mileage of the warranty is cut in half for the rears.

30,000 Mile Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty
Pilot® Super Sport tires carry a 30,000 mile limited warranty in addition to the standard materials and workmanship warranty for treadwear or mileage.

* Mileage Warranty Exceptions

• Split fitments - If your vehicle has tires of different sizes on the front versus the rear axles, your tires cannot be rotated as recommended. Therefore, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire line.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Are you running 255s all around?

I am leaning toward this tire as we speak.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you running 255s all around?

I am leaning toward this tire as we speak.
Indeed I am, yes. 255/45ZR20 which is what the NT05s were. Got them for $252/ea from America's Tire (Price matched TireRack).

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Indeed I am, yes. 255/45ZR20 which is what the NT05s were. Got them for $252/ea from America's Tire (Price matched TireRack).

I was hoping to hear that. My mind is all but made up. Test away to seal the deal for me....:lol:

To confirm, is this the "summer" Pilot or the all season Pilot?

·
Registered
398 Posts
$252??? 18 months ago I paid $470 each, WTF??? I'm glad that they're more affordable now. I've Had mine for 2 summer seasons and they are great tires.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was hoping to hear that. My mind is all but made up. Test away to seal the deal for me....:lol:

To confirm, is this the "summer" Pilot or the all season Pilot?
This is the summer Pilot, I don't have a need for all-seasons. :D

$252??? 18 months ago I paid $470 each, WTF??? I'm glad that they're more affordable now. I've Had mine for 2 summer seasons and they are great tires.
Well, I don't know what size you're running but that will make a big difference (as well as being RunFlat or not). There are also versions that were developed for specific makes/models (Porsche, Ferrari, etc) and those tend to be even more. I was stoked to find the 255/45ZR20s were quite reasonable.

EDIT: Are you talking about the 315s you bought? Those are Ferrari-spec tires. :)

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
724 Posts
Any comparison to cooper zeon 3s or do the pilot sports blow them away grip wise ?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any comparison to cooper zeon 3s or do the pilot sports blow them away grip wise ?
I honestly don't know, they look like they have similar specs/ratings, the only comparison I could find was to the BFG Sport COMP 2 and apparently the Coopers did a little better in the handling department. It was a Cooper test event and they didn't put them up against the Michelin PS2 or PSS, which was noted in the review, and that was probably because Cooper didn't want to set themselves up to come in 2nd. ;) The Michelins tend to be the benchmark, so you can't go wrong with them but it also sounds like the Coopers are a decent tire as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good choose on the PSS Yahooligan I'm running these on the rear and they are super sticky I can hear them picking up everything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Yahooligan,

You have had your tires now for over a month. Any additional comments about the tires? Ride quality, tire noise and handling/stopping inputs from your perspective.

I am definitely thinking this is the nest tire to get. I also want the 255/45R20s.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, in the 268 miles I've put on them so far...I'd say they're great! :) They handle very well, seem to be quieter than the NT05 but the real test will be how they fare after a day at the track. The NT05s remained uniform throughout their life, I'm hoping these do as well and the outer tread doesn't feather.

I also inadvertently discovered I don't get any wheelhop with them, but that could also be due to the lowered suspension and coilovers or maybe a combination of everything. :D

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted down the road so to speak.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts