Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6speed and I am going to take it to the track this feb. for the first time. I am trying to learn how to launch it so I dont completely embarass myself and make challengers look slow. I am using the 0 to 60 timer as a measuring stick. I have made about 7 passes now, my first try was a 5.7, second was a 5.9 with two passengers in the car. Was still getting used to the car at the point.
Next two chances I had, I made a 5.4 and a 5.2 run. I feel at this point I can definitely get a sub 5 time, just need to control my wheelspin in second. The very next week after driving an hour home from work, I pull off onto this little flat side street and pull a 4.88. :browsmiley: Success!
All I have is a K&N drop in filter. Just ordered the Blastin Bob's res deletes (straights). They should be here wednesday. Cant wait to hear what they sound like.

I've got the bug. Come on February!

·
Registered
75 Posts
No traction!

I have been able to get my down to 5.85 on a side road, but it was cold out(45 degrees) and I could not get my tires to hook up off the line. I got some traction by leaving around 1900 RPM, but then it took time to wind up. Needs to warm up here so I can really hit it. The 6 speed is a blast to drive though. I drove the Autos at the SRT Experience and was totally unimpressed. They needed mods to shift decently.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice 0-60 with that 6 speed! What are rpm are you launching at and what rpms are you up shifting at?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My best launch so far was at about 1200 to 1500 rpms. I really just layed my foot on the pedal enough to get the needle to move, then feathered off of the clutch as if I was going for a sunday drive, but as soon as the car started forward I floored it to about 5600 to 5800 rpms, then shifted to second. This is where you have to control yourself from flooring it into second. I jammed it into second but smoothly let into the gas instead of slamming it to the floor. This controlled my wheelspin. I shifted into third right before I hit the rev limiter, which happens really fast. I am in second just long enough to say "hello".

Also for the 4.88 run I had traction control completely off with the key trick. The lowest time with esp button off was a 5.2 so far.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I run the rpms up to about 2500 and then feather the clutch to prevent wheelspin. Once the clutch is engaged I mat it. I usually run between 4.48- 4.70.

Your times are pretty dead on with a stock car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice Drew. How much have those Nitto tires helped your time? I think I will be going after some wider Nitto Invos after I wear out my F1's.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My best 60 ft at the track was a 1.83 I have been able to get into the 1.8 s several times but you will need to launch that car at 4k to 5k Rpms and slip the clutch. If you side step the clutch you will break an axle but only if the tires hook. I run nt05rs on stock rims. Launching at any lower Rpms in the 6 speeds will result in 2.2 to 2.5 60 foots. I'm in az and I am at the track almost every weekend and have over 100 passes on my car when it was stock.goodnluck and happy racing

·
Registered
86 Posts
definately feather clutch out.. Glad to hear your stoked about making some passes you will get it. Blastin 'bobs sound great too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys.

I ran a 4.9 last night, but my shift points were different. I launched at a about 1800 rpms. I shifted into second quicker than I have been, I think it was at about 4800 to 5000 rpms. Whatever works. Glad to see that the sub 5 was not a fluke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts