Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well let me first be completely straight with you guys. My first passion is not cars, It's computers....Yes I'm a geek(feels great to get that out in the open lol) I did not become interested in cars or become a self proclaimed "car guy" until I got this beautiful piece of machinery. Anyway a year or too ago I stumbled across this website(Dangerous Things) and thought "well that's kinda cool" and I let it settle in the back of my head until another day. 2 months ago I was watching Counting Cars and saw that they had installed a kill switch into a customers car that had previously been stolen. That's when everything click.

First my girlfriend and I put it in my hands.
(disregard the left hand its not for this application)

Do you have any idea how much your brain fights you when you try and stick a need into your own hand? Yes, I did it my girlfriend pinched the skin lol. Also it was done in her kitchen.

This is testing it a day later

If you notice the white wire in the about video coming out of the black box, thats the 12v+ out white while the tag is being read. So while the lights on consant 12v+ is coming out at 15 amps, and it stops once that tag is remove

The plan it to connect that 12v+ to the trigger wire of this 528T Pulse Timer
Amazon.com: Directed Electronics Inc 528T 12v Accessory Pulse Timer: Car Electronics
Which when triggered outputs a constant 12v+ at 30 amps to anything I want for, anywhere between 5-660 seconds, in this case another relay.

The plan (in the next couple of day since it just snowed a lot in NYC) is to interrupt the signal from that starter with the relay in a way that once the relay is flipped open it allows to function normal. In essence creating a bio metric kill switch.

Also if anyone has a better way that using the starter please feel free to let me know that's just the way I came up with.

The follow up to this will be hopefully in about a week so check back here to see it working (hopefully). Thanks Guys for reading this far :)

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Is that a read only chip?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go Goody,
It's 64 bits, The ID number is 40 bits and are read only the remaining bits are Read/Write just for very small amounts of data, like your name or something like that. NFC chip in my left hand is 128 bit with a 22 bit read-only ID with 106 bits read/write and can be read with a smart phone.

-Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
There was a company in west palm beach that had implantables and I think they chipped the Mexican congress....still a little to sci-fi for me. Other than this access control application what are you using it for?

·
Registered
332 Posts
That is a very cool idea, I might have to follow this thread a little more.

Back in the 80's my dad and I made a digital ignition lock for one of my trucks and my Camaro. We actually made my 83 Camaro totally keyless (I had shaved door handles) and used a read switch behind the glass and tint to pop the doors. If you were able to get into the car you still had to punch in the code and press the start button.

How about maybe using a bio metric reader from a laptop or similar?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MarchAFB,
See now that sounds pretty awesome How would I Go about making that car fully key less? Wouldn't it be next to impossible because of the computer? Do you know of any waay how to accomplish that? Also whats your opinion on killing that starter is there a better way to immortalize that car until the implant is scanned? Thanks in advance

-Mike

·
Registered
332 Posts
MarchAFB,
See now that sounds pretty awesome How would I Go about making that car fully key less? Wouldn't it be next to impossible because of the computer? Do you know of any waay how to accomplish that? Also whats your opinion on killing that starter is there a better way to immortalize that car until the implant is scanned? Thanks in advance

-Mike
Hey Mike,

Back in the day it was not too hard to go keyless, remember this was the mid 80's and computers in cars were not that sophisticated.

What I did at the time was to shave the door handles and add a lock and unlock solenoid to pop the door latch. I then hooked one of the outputs of my alarm system through a relay to the solenoid. Then another switch hooked up through a magnetic reed switch mounted behind my visor tint. So the remote or a strong magnet would open the door or doors. As for the starter, we used the outputs from the digital lock (keypad) to engage the ignition switch. Basically we interrupted the ignition circuit in the steering column and tied it in with a momentary push button switch.

I'm sure it is still possible to do something similar using some sort of bio metric scanner circuit in place of the digital lock, but I have not thought much about doing something like this. I think they even do something similar to this with those alcohol ignition locks.

Unfortunately, this will only slow down and may even prevent the random theft, but if a pro wants the car there is no stopping a flatbed truck.

Hope that invokes some thought........

·
Registered
876 Posts
Holy smoke! Now I know what to expect when the NSA or FEMA comes knocking with a couple of nurses. I wonder if I'll be able to "demand" some lidocaine gel or maybe some "cold spray" to numb the area first .... ?/_o

Subscribing for pure shock value.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys today is the day the weather finally let up and I have access to my grandfathers garage. Pictures and videos should be up within a few hours.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Look forward to your progress - should be interesting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just so i understand:

I'll need to hack off which hand & throw into the truck for my getaway? Or would you prefer her or her hand?

Which one of you will be accompanying jr. on that first date?

Valet parking? Service for car? Camp in the trunk?

Thanks for picking me up buddy, those jagerbombs jumped on me & its late. I'm not leaving my car here... Damn, I'm gonna try it after all.

The bear (or zombie) got my hand but at least I made it to the car, lets get outta here before I bleed to death! DOH! "Here he comes again... haul azz" (starts, goes, stalls)... "here he comes again... haul azz" (starts, goes, stalls). Watched too many horror movies to think somehow this is a good idea.

Just joshing, interesting idea, bit extreme, but interesting.

Just hide the kill switch? :worried:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm already pissed about the lack of keyhole on the trunk... I'm certain it's the future, though.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You are talking biometrics or are you talking RFID?

If it is RFID I have been working with it for three years now and there are some very exciting things you can do with RFID however there are also pitfalls.

Are you talking an RFID chip embedded in your body?

If so Motorola announced a form of pill that a user can swallow which is activated and powered by stomach acids and transmits a signal back which can be used to authenticate a system via "an 18-bit signal".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well I'm finally finished with the killswitch here are a few pictures of the reader as well as the relay.

I decided last minute to go a different route than using the starter. I rigged it up using the clutch instead. The car thinks the clutch isn't pressed until you have your foot on the clutch and you present the tag to the reader. both need to be completed before the car starts(it's not a clutch bypass). Also I couldn't figure out how to go completely keyless so the key is still in my pocket.

I also have the "master key" which is used to program any other RFID tags to be used with this reader, So as long as a tag is allowed by the reader the car will start.

Here is the video also I have "a touch" of the flu according to my doctor so sorry I sound really weird.

You are talking biometrics or are you talking RFID?

If it is RFID I have been working with it for three years now and there are some very exciting things you can do with RFID however there are also pitfalls.

Are you talking an RFID chip embedded in your body?

If so Motorola announced a form of pill that a user can swallow which is activated and powered by stomach acids and transmits a signal back which can be used to authenticate a system via "an 18-bit signal".
\

Yea I saw that from Motorola and thought it was an amazing concept. The reason I refer to this as bio-metric is because its implanted in my hand lol. If your not freaked out by needles give the first video a look in the first post that's me injecting it.

I really appreciate all the support I got from you guys. Thanks for all the help too!

-Mike

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
End result is pretty cool. Not sure if I could put a chip in my hand as you did, but it certainly will keep the average thief from taking your ride.

Have a similar, though much less high tec way of preventing theft of my 1987 mazda. The truck has air ride and basically will lay the frame on the ground. With the air completely out of the system, the truck cannot generate enough traction for it to move. So.... the vehicle alarm is tied into a 6 pole relay setup. If alarm goes off, all 4 air bags dump air AND power is cut to the system so that you cannot air them back up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts