Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nothing fancy, just too much textured, grayish plastic ;)

013.jpg

002.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
276 Posts
Looks nice. Did you have this done or paint the pieces yourself? If you did it can you give us a little information on how you prepped and which paint? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
It's about time you got the bug. :wink3:

The opportunities to spend time and money on our cars is always present.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Nice job on those!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks nice. Did you have this done or paint the pieces yourself? If you did it can you give us a little information on how you prepped and which paint? Thanks.
Yeah, I painted myself, they want big money for these pieces painted. I'll give you a quick layout of my procedure. Keep in mind color matching black is easy

Materials needed (I got everything at Pep Boys):

Sandpaper 1000,1500,2000,2500 grit wet/dry

Can of Adhesion Promoter (Duplicolor)

Can of Sandable Primer (Duplicolor)

Can(s) of color (Duplicolor Perfect Match)

Can(s) of Clear (Duplicolor Perfect Match)

Meguiars Ultimate Polishing Compound

Applicator (I used rectangular microfiber from Detailed Image)

Wash the part to remove any residue. Sand with 1000 grit sandpaper to knock down the texture some, and give a better surface to adhere to paint. Wipe with damp cloth and allow to dry.

Spray with one coat of Adhesion Promoter, let dry 10 minutes.

Spray with sandable primer, 10 minutes, then 2nd coat. Let dry 1/2 hour.

Use the sandpaper wet throughout, it will be much easier, less dust, water is lubrication. Dip sandpaper in water, sand, more water (also washes off), repeat

Sand the primer. This will be your base layer, so get it smooth without sanding through the primer. Start with 1500, then 2000. Wipe with damp cloth and allow to dry.

Spray with color coat, 10 minutes, then 2nd coat. Add more coats until you are sure primer is covered. Let dry 10 minutes between coats, and after last coat. Don't worry about glossy, just cover, not too heavy, no runs, and as little orange peel as possible, but don't worry if there is some.

Spray with clear. Again, not too heavy, you want the surface to look good, but don't worry about gloss again, just no runs, and less orange peel is better. I suggest 6 coats, this is the sacrificial layer so you can sand it as smooth as possible, 6 coats allows you to sand smooth and not touch the color layers

I let it dry overnight to be sure it's ready for sanding. Start with 1500 grit unless you have a lot of orange peel. If you use the 1000 grit, don't go crazy, and don't oversand the edges. Sand with 1500, Check in light to be sure you have any texture/orange peel knocked down. Follow with 2000, and finish up with 2500.

The 2500 is really not aggressive, so you can use it until you are happy with smoothness. The part will be dull now, that's why you only worry about coverage in previous steps, not a glossy finish.

OK, now you have a smooth, colored, dull finish. Here is where you get your mirror shine.

If you have a buffer, you can use it, but best to use it face up, and run the piece against it. Most under hood pieces are too small to use the buffer to buff it. Buff as much as you can to get a gloss surface. Now you use the applicator, you could use a microfiber towel, but it will be harder, even with some sort of block/sponge inside.

Put a little polish on the applicator (and the buffer to start, or you'll end up wearing half of it ;) ). Start polishing, use some elbow grease, especially if you aren't buffing first. You can use straight lines, circles, it really doesn't matter. Think of the polish as a very, very, very fine sandpaper. It really isn't abrasive at all. Buff, buff, buff. Wipe it clean with damp microfiber and look at the reflection in the light. If hazy, or not mirror, buff some more.

You now should have some mirror reflective paint. You can take it a step further and wax, and seal...whatever your normal paint protection involves. I use Car Pro Reload once I have the finish I like. You could of course leave it just polished paint.

Now, IF you have great rattle can skills, you can get a glossy finish with just the clear coat. That means no sanding and polishing, or just polishing. But it's not easy getting a good final finish with just the spray can.

If you plan to paint the fuse box cover, with the icons showing how to connect jumpers, be aware, sanding and polishing around, and within the icons is almost impossible. I'd suggest just clean and color, then clear. Here you would be best served if you CAN get a gloss coat with the clear. Polishing with not be perfect around the icons. I was not going to be satisfied with my fuse box, and ordered a cover. Painted fuse box covers alone are $130 and up, so that wasn't going to happen. I ordered a smooth cover that goes over the fuse box. Just a heads up. The ABS cover and strut caps came out great.

This takes time as there is drying between coats, and sanding, and ultimately, polishing. But you'll save some big $. A painted ABS cover is $118, the 2 strut caps are $128. My total outlay in supplies was around $50. My labor was 3-4 hours, taking my time, on each item (the 2 caps together).

I still have to tackle some other items, and it will take some time, but eventually all the textured/grayish under hood plastics will be gloss black.

Hope this helps, as I say, if you can manage a gloss finish with the clear, you'll save some time on sanding/polishing at the end. But sanding and polishing assure a mirror finish. I'll attach the .txt if you want to refer to it. It's not rocket science, but it takes some time, lol.

A Guy

View attachment Painting .txt

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's about time you got the bug. :wink3:

The opportunities to spend time and money on our cars is always present.
Oh the bug has been there since day one. Just the logical side of my brain has prevented me from buying a bunch of stuff. Doing this myself however is just a matter of getting the time.

Nice job on those!
Thanks ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,145 Posts
The More You Know...

Looks good, congrats! :thumbsup:

It's good to see you're diving into the spray-can Picasso realm finally, it's a natural progression we all have to go through.

But I would be remiss if I did not offer up something to watch out for in your own behavior (think: red flag) as a sign things are getting out of control. Now keep in mind, I had to learn this the hard way, so the only reason I am bringing it up here is to hopefully save you the trouble of going through what I went through and dealing with the fall-out that would surely follow.

There may be times where your car is in the garage with the hood open and you are standing in front of it (or off to the side, whatever) and you are staring at the engine bay very intently, studying every aspect of its color, body lines, how road grime tends to accumulate, etc. And the whole time, your mind is a whirlwind of thoughts and images and concepts coming to life, all in an effort to finally achieve that perfect look.

It is during these critical times in which you could slip off into the abyss and cross over into the world of "Whoa bro, what did you do to your engine bay?!?"

And it is that exact scenario which you can avoid if you follow this simple advice: if the word "feng shui" ever pops up during any of those inner dialogs, it is time to stop what you're doing and back away for a while.

Go for a beer, throw some burgers on the grill, hell take a vacation if you've got enough days saved up. But whatever you do, DO NOT do any more mods in the engine bay for at least 48 hours. Then, if you're still intent on making sure the visual and visceral experience your engine bay gives its visitors is in every way harmonious and balanced, then by all means, proceed!

Scoff if you want, but I'm here to tell you, at some point that yellow dipstick handle and matching windshield washer bottle cover WILL start to bother you when viewed in concert with all the other work you've done under there. And when it does, it is what you do next that will decide how the rest of your modding life goes....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how road grime tends to accumulate, etc.

Scoff if you want, but I'm here to tell you, at some point that yellow dipstick handle and matching windshield washer bottle cover WILL start to bother you when viewed in concert with all the other work you've done under there. And when it does, it is what you do next that will decide how the rest of your modding life goes....
Road grime! Have you seen my car? :D

I have news for you, the yellow dipstick handle and windshield washer bottle cover are already black billet, lol.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Road grime! Have you seen my car? :D

I have news for you, the yellow dipstick handle and windshield washer bottle cover are already black billet, lol.

A Guy
Damnit, i was afraid of that...im sorry man, i didn't your condition had already progressed that far...

Oh well, there's still hope! Just look at me, I'm living proof you can turn things around!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The billet pieces and the radiator reservoir cover have been my only splurges since the CQuartz Finest outlay. This ongoing painting is relatively low cost. I'll post some pictures once it's all complete. A Guy

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
The billet pieces and the radiator reservoir cover have been my only splurges since the CQuartz Finest outlay. This ongoing painting is relatively low cost. I'll post some pictures once it's all complete. A Guy
Already experimenting with the billet? Hmm, okay, listen, I'm gonna put something out here, and then I'll leave it alone.

There's a group of us that get together the 2nd Saturday of every month, and it's usually out at the old Quality Inn by the airport. Nothing big, we just talk. Sometimes it does me good to know there are others who have the same urges, the same weaknesses as i have, you know.

Anyway, we'd have to pay extra to get a phone in the room, but if you were interested in listening in to see what goes on, I can set up a conf call for next time. Just let me know...

AHAHA!! I'm just messing with you...that motel hasn't had working phones in years!!

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
I know you guys are eager to see what A Guy's engine bay will look like, so I snuck in and took a picture of his engine bay when he wasn't looking!
That engine bay is darker than 2 midnights in a jug!! :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I know you guys are eager to see what A Guy's engine bay will look like, so I snuck in and took a picture of his engine bay when he wasn't looking!
You're quite the comedian, what's your issue? You don't see me ragging on your wrapped car. You do know all the pieces are black from the factory? I'm just changing from textured flat black to gloss. A Guy

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
You're quite the comedian, what's your issue? You don't see me ragging on your wrapped car. You do know all the pieces are black from the factory? I'm just changing from textured flat black to gloss. A Guy
:deadhorse:

I'm just kidding, bud.

If I've upset you I apologize, I'll leave you to murder out your ride in peace.

Also, low blow.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It wasn't the first 3 or 4 times that got to me. Yes, leave me to mod my car as I please, agreed. A Guy

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
It wasn't the first 3 or 4 times that got to me. Yes, leave me to mod my car as I please, agreed. A Guy
I thought of it was a running gag, I didn't think it was upsetting you, my bad.

I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked if you were thinking of painting the chin spoiler. The owner of a 2014 White Challenger works at a bodyshop near me and he painted all his outside trim pieces semi-gloss black, which gave the trim a much higher perceived quality than plain old aging plastic.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nah, forget it, bad day at work. I'm not so thin skinned someone can't make a joke. I do hear my car is black...

I have not considered painting the spoiler, or lower cladding. I do think it would look good body color, on any of our cars. But I can't help but think it would take a beating. I don't know why, other cars without plastic lower cladding aren't all pock marked there. Maybe because it's plastic now, and painting on plastic isn't perfect. The DLux I had applied when the car was coated did give it a darker, richer look. I know it's not permanent. If someone wants to volunteer to foot the bill for me to have all plastic cladding painted gloss black, I'll be a guinea pig ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2012 Yellow Jacket SRT8
34 Posts
nice smooth looking work on the self painting, Looks like it came from the body shop

1 - 20 of 99 Posts