Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '11 SE Rallye died this morning, so had it towed to the dealer. 40,000 miles on the 3/36 warranty, so in other words sol.
Alternator went out, will be about 1,000 for parts and labor, plus $200 for the battery too. I usually do my own alternator kind of stuff, but it is here already.

Surprised it cost so much seeing that the 3.6 is pretty common.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
So the story is the battery and the alternator went bad at the same time?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dash lit up like a Christmas tree in October, then wouldn't start. I was near an Advance Auto, so I walked there and got a battery. In the last couple weeks it seemed like it was making a whining sound, but it attributed it to my imagination. Today the dash lit up again, and pulled over where it died. I think it was a continuing problem.

The price they are charging is like $450 for the alternator, so the price difference isn't worth towing it elsewhere. Even $368 seems like a ream job.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Live and learn. Broke down on the way to work with a long day ahead, and a million things to do. Not a lot of time to check all over town. It is what it is.

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Super Moderator
15,777 Posts
Those are 160amp units - they aren't going to be cheap.

I did a look around online and they ran $220 to $368 - the mid price was a reman Denso (OEM supplier) alternator.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Live and learn. Broke down on the way to work with a long day ahead, and a million things to do. Not a lot of time to check all over town. It is what it is.
Yep it is easy to sit back in the comfort of home and second guess what should have done. Quite another thing to be broken down along side the highway in rush hour traffic and have to do something now.

Reactions: PSM450 and ghostrt

·
Vendor
12,392 Posts
alternator would be cover under the 3 year or 36k miles warranty
Luke

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Over the miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My '11 SE Rallye died this morning, so had it towed to the dealer. 40,000 miles on the 3/36 warranty, so in other words sol.
Alternator went out, will be about 1,000 for parts and labor, plus $200 for the battery too. I usually do my own alternator kind of stuff, but it is here already.

Surprised it cost so much seeing that the 3.6 is pretty common.
I had the same thing happen in my 2011 Challenger Ralley. I was at 46K and after calling and complaining to Chrysler/Dodge opening a case # they directed me to tow it to the dealership where they fixed it for free outside of warranty. There may be a recall coming FYI! Save/Get dealership receipt and you will be refunded if it happens.
Feds probe Dodge Charger alternator complaints - TwinCities.com
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM458642/INOA-PE14022-5233.PDF
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM460232/INIM-PE14022-59885.pdf

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow thank god I bought the lifetime warrantys for my entire car. Nice to know mine will get fixed for free if it breaks. Those prices are outrageous.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was lucky too - mine was under 3/36 warranty but somehow the battery wasn't factory and I had to pay for that. Better than paying the alternator though.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,222 Posts
You don't have towing on insurance? I would tow her home and do it myself for that kinda $$$. One thing to pay a little extra for convenience...but damn!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I know a lot of people don't like them but that's why I always buy the longest extended warranty I can buy. On Cars, Trucks, Harley's, RZR's whatever it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts