Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the Challenger to the dealership for wheel balancing....snow tires start to wobble at 120kph.
Summer tires did too but at 140kph+. They showed me the car up on the hoist & made me press on both front wheels side to side.(3 & 9 O'clock )
Driver side showed lots of play/wobble, passenger side had less play, but some nonetheless.

So bottom line, this would cause a wheel shimmy/vibration, correct ?
I was quoted CAD$ 540 for parts & 3 hours labour (plus tax)
This is for 2 inner tie rod replacement.

This sound good to any of you ?
Thanks in advance for any input/advice...:grin2:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I don't think worn inner tie rod ends would cause a wobble or shimmy. They aren't spinning therefore any problem they contribute to won't be dependent on wheel speed. However there is a *chance* it could make a shimmy more noticeable, if the tires are wobbling in-out rapidly. But if it's that bad, you have another problem. More than likely your tires are still out of balance, or you have snow/mud buildup in the rims (Check behind the spokes, it likes to hide and collect sometimes), or your tires have excessive runout or stiffness variation. A defective or separating tire could cause that. Unfortunately there is no way to say for sure without checking the car over in person. We can only guess.

Reactions: jjpogi

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, so in addition to the inner tie rod replacement, I should also get the tires rebalanced anyways ?

This will be the 2nd time said dealership will try to balance this set of tires....Hunter Roadforce balancing perhaps ?

:dunno:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: Just went ahead & ordered Moog Inner & outer Tie rod ends from Rock Auto
I will update again once parts are installed (at another speedshop). Thanks for looking.

:11:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Final Update:

Got the Moog Inner & outer tie rod ends from Rock Auto.
Also got the front winter rims balanced plus a 4 wheel alignment.
Install & balance/alignment done by a new speedshop recommended by a buddy.
All cost below the price$ quoted by the stealership.

Car now runs smooth until the winter tire advised top speed of 180 kph.

p.s. This all on a 7 yr old SRT with only 46,000km (28.5K miles) on the odo :deal:

Happy ending ! :banger:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Final Update:

Got the Moog Inner & outer tie rod ends from Rock Auto.
Also got the front winter rims balanced plus a 4 wheel alignment.
Install & balance/alignment done by a new speedshop recommended by a buddy.
All cost below the price$ quoted by the stealership.

Car now runs smooth until the winter tire advised top speed of 180 kph.

p.s. This all on a 7 yr old SRT with only 46,000km (28.5K miles) on the odo :deal:

Happy ending ! :banger:
Old thread but how are those moog tie rods holding up? Just got some for myself but the price difference from oem is...worrying lol

$18/r for the inners and outers

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

Went with these instead...better looking and says only fits srt’s but oem part number cross overs say it will fit, will update

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,529 Posts
Moog makes quality parts for a long time ;)

A Guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts