Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 SRT8 and love it. The best time it ran last summer is posted below.

Dealership says they will give me $29K for mine with just over 15K miles on it. They are selling their 2011 SRTs at sticker so whatever I choose they will sell it to me at sticker.

Couple of quick questions. Any drawbacks of going from the 2009 to the 2011? I see the obvious positives like HP and TQ which I like. I was going to put a Kenne Bell SC on my 2009 but have been rethinking that for an move to the 2011 instead.

Some of your collective insight and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bud

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i think its a horrible deal and definately not worth $20k more to upgrade to the 392

the 392 is great, but $10k yea, $20k no way

first of all they are selling at invoice ($2,400-2,700 off sticker)

i dont think $29k trade in is that bad....its not good either......if he was giving you $2500 off sticker and $31,500 for the trade in then id consider that a decent deal...

he's atleast $5k off on a good deal....its a pretty bad deal if you ask me

id be happy w/ what you have and keep it

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that this isn't the greatest financial picture. That was our first discussion and I expected to do my traditional leg wrestling moves on him once I decided if the move was a good one. I'm into my 2009 SRT8 for $34K when I bought it with 4700 miles on it. I may try to sell it outright but I have always been better at buying then selling my toys....

I'm interested in reliable rwHP and rwTQ numbers on the 392 in comparison against my current setup. I'm also interested in track times and I have read a few posts where people are posting 12.3 to 12.4 ETs which are impressive if true.

Also, I'm pretty set on the Billet Metallic color but I'm not sold on the Dual Stripe option. I love them on the AC Cobra but not my cup of tea on the SRT8. I could warm up to it but I like the simple hood stripe of my current SRT8 and I really like the two stripe setup on the R/T on each fender. I'm jealous of them for that but love the SRT more then those stripes.

My long term goal is to be the old man (now 44) with that really cool car in his incredible garage 30 years from now. Where young motorheads like me when I was 12-18 years old came by just to talk about the old days and how fast and cool the 2011 Challenger SRT8 was in it's day. By the way it will be sitting next to a cool Ferrari, a cool Camaro (still waiting for that one, LOL no flames) and a cool Mustang. Of course my 1969 Road Runner will be there too and they will be amazed at the ability of that 72 year old vehicle as well. I think all of us have been in that place when we were kids and I'm looking forward to being "that guy".

Sorry for the rambling here I was just thinking about what my long-term goal is here and I felt like writing it.

Thanks for your insight!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have a picture of the Billet Metallic SRT8 392 without the dual stripe option? And what is the main difference of the Media Center options between the 430N and 730N. It isn't clear to me but I'm guessing screen size. i may not want either. NAV is such a waste of money in my opinion. Garmin $99 much easier... Better user experience.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the Billet Metallic SRT8 392 without the dual stripe option? And what is the main difference of the Media Center options between the 430N and 730N. It isn't clear to me but I'm guessing screen size. i may not want either. NAV is such a waste of money in my opinion. Garmin $99 much easier... Better user experience.
the 430, 430N and 730N all are the same basic units w/ 6.5" screen

430 - doesn't have Nav
430N - adds Garmin Navigation
730N - uses manufacturers Nav instead of Garmin

if you decide to get a $99 garmin unit you will save lots of money, thats what I did.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Sorry to be a little contrary, but when I was a kid, it wasn't the cool old guy with a like new classic car that we all wanted to hang with. It was the guy that had taken an everyday car and tore it apart and built a beast and let us help in some small way that made us feel useful in the project, even though we were really likely just in the way. I never knew and never cared about the old guy that had a really cool Porsche or Ferrari that he drove occasionally and never let us touch it.

"Everything I know in this life came as a result of holding the flashlight for my Dad!" I used to joke with my Dad about that statement, but with every passing year, I realize more and more the truth of it!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries our neighborhood was a little different. Porsche's were like girlie drinks back then and the 1969 Nova SS down the street with the blown small block 400 was what we all gathered around. That dude was old, late 20s when I was 13 and he did let us help him make it go faster.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info on the 430 vs. 730! Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
No worries our neighborhood was a little different. Porsche's were like girlie drinks back then and the 1969 Nova SS down the street with the blown small block 400 was what we all gathered around. That dude was old, late 20s when I was 13 and he did let us help him make it go faster.
Sorry, I mistyped that. There were no foreign cars in my neighborhood either (except one guy that had a very cool 240Z) Our thrill was my Math teacher's Olds F85, the three Vega's he had put 327's into, another buddies 64 Bonneville that we were converting to a poor man's GTO. I also doing my own conversion of my 64 Mustang to the 289 that I got complete with a 64 Comet Caliente. ( Now 35+ years later, I realize I should have been building the Comet rather than the Mustang, as it would REALLY be something special. I sold them both for a 67 Firebird!

Sorry, enough crapping in your thread!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Here's my Billet without stripes. As for value, only you can decide that. Tradining a a car that is only 2 years old is always a loss, but so is buying any new car. Its a matter of what do you want. Lots on here keep pushing the $50K price for an SRT8, that's not true (for IE maybe, but not for the rest of us). Mine was $45,500 for Auto, 730N, Grp II (didn't get sunroof or SRT wheels). My trade in for my Vette was so good, I didn't bother working my salesman down on price ($1500 below MSRP), as they gave me $2K more on trade than I thought I'd get - so I was happy with my deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you're still very happy with your 2009 SRT, why not just go with the supercharger option? Your track time will improve - there are supercharged 6-speed R/Ts running in the 11s on this forum. Also, you won't take it in the shorts on a trade for what is otherwise an outstanding platform to build on performance-wise. You might be better served putting that money towards enhancements on the 2009.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Did you drive the 392 yet?

I was planning to replace my 6.1 09 with a 392. Then I drove both the 6.1 and 392 back to back several times at the Track Experience. I came away with only good things to say about the 392 but I decided to hang back for a while and see what the next big thing might be.

·
Super Moderator
15,568 Posts
I would recommend keeping your 6.1. It's a great motor that can be modded for more power. Even with the 6.4, you will not have the fastest street production car. There will always be a "better" model/engine coming out every year. What will you do if you spent $20k out-of-pocket to buy a 2011 6.4 and Dodge comes out with a supercharged version in 2012/2013 or, perhaps, a V-10 or 426?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Lots on here keep pushing the $50K price for an SRT8, that's not true (for IE maybe, but not for the rest of us). Mine was $45,500 for Auto, 730N, Grp II (didn't get sunroof or SRT wheels). \
my loaded IE was $49,800 sticker(missing f1's and appearance pkg)
i paid a bit over invoice and my total w/taxes + fees was $50,300

you say you paid $45,500 but you forget the $2500 in taxes and fees...in reality your car is a $48,000 car....pretty close to the $50k number ive been throwing around

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
sounds like money isnt an issue with you?

if $20k doesnt matter and its about building your ultimate collection then heck yea get the 392.....sounds like you will get back what you have into your 09 since you bought it used

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
392 is a nice thing to have. From a financial standpoint, it isn't a good buy and you loose out on money upfront. If it's financed over time, then it's not too bad because you can trade up later down the road.

If power / torque are your goal, the Kenne bell is the way to go.

If you are just looking to have the conveniences of the 392; new wheel, bragging rights, touched up suspension, then go for it.

Just a thought would be to wait for the 2012 challenger that will probably get the newer self adjusting suspension and rain sensing brakes like the 2012 SRT Charger along with the new SRT wheel that both the new charger and jeep cherokee are getting.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If money isn't an issue then do it. But I'll assume you're like most Americans and most Americans don't pay their car in full upon purchasing it. So if that's the case, it's a bad idea. But it's your money, so do what you want.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
If you want the baddest Challenger built, get the 392. It is the King.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You are in your current car "right". I am in my 09 a bit less than you. I have no interest in a 392 but I DO covet the Mppar perfommance aluminum block crate 426 with 540 horse power. You could snag that motor for less than it would cost you to trade cars and you get a 70 horespower bump OVER the 392.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.