Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the site, looking forward to browsing for some good info.

Does anyone know if I could contact a U.S. dealer and get them to sell me a new 2011 challenger so I could import it into Canada?

From what I can tell the dealer would not charge me state taxes and they would issue me temporary plates so I could drive to the border. I would have to submit my paperwork 3 days in advance to Canada Customs and after paying Federal taxes I would be allowed to cross the border and continue the process of registering the car in Ontario.

I live in Toronto so I'm pretty close to the border and would like to just drive to the dealer to pick it up.

Does anyone know if this will work or does U.S. Dodge not allow cars to be sold to Canadians?

Also, are 2011 Challengers available yet? I'm looking for a fully loaded v6.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I can't help with the first part but the 11 Challengers are slowly trickling into dealerships. The dealer I got my car from is to get their first one this week.

·
Registered
408 Posts
These days, you will not save much. It's more worth it for IE 392 or GWE or other special cars. My 2c..

That being said, Chrysler dealers are no allowed to sell to Canadians ( unless Fiat changed that, I doubt ). So you'll need someone with a US address and bring this person with you to the DMV to officially sell the car to you. No need to say you need to trust that person.

You will not pay US taxes. But you'll pay the wonderful HST at the border. Btw, you'll need to go to the Queenston-Lewinston (thx for the correction 08 Challenger) bridge not peace bridge. You'll need to fax them papers a few days before you cross.

Also, make sure your insurance company plays nice with you. Some insurance will not let you drive a US car with temp plates ( man are they retarded ... ). So that makes driving the car unsafe. Getting in an accident without insurance outside of Canada....

Then there's the federal inspection at CT ( some insurances asks for yet an other inspection .. see comment above about them ) and the Feds will send you a beautiful gray sticker to put on the inside of the driver's door with info nobody will ever look at.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Forgot to say. Some car companies honor their warranties for cross-border purchases but not Chrysler. So you'll need to go to the states for any warranty work.

Also, get your DRL activated at the dealer where you buy the car for free instead of relying on $#1tty Toronto dealers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info albator! That was exactly what I was looking for. I'm lacking a U.S. friend I trust so I'm just gonna put an order in at my local dealer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the info albator! That was exactly what I was looking for. I'm lacking a U.S. friend I trust so I'm just gonna put an order in at my local dealer.
yw. I didn't mean to discourage you but the paperwork and other trouble is often not worth the money. For a GWE or IE 392 or other hard to find sub-models, it's worth looking into though. And especially with a known good dealer ala Bob Frederick. Local Canadian dealers often do not even know when or if they'll get these rarer cars let alone allow you to special order them.

·
Registered
714 Posts
As a rule, a dealer will NOT sell you a new Challenger, as soon as they hear "Canada" they will drop you like a hot potato.

However they'll happily sell you a used one.

Taxes are of no concern, the same taxes you will pay in Canada...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Its not worth the hassle IMO because if warranty issues arise
Shop around the GTA you know as well as I do its a very competive market here.Islington Chrysler has a 392 if it isnt sold if thats what your after.
If you look hard enough you can find some sweet deals just pit one dealer against another for the same car with the same options.
This is done all the time in the GTA because there are so many dealers close to each other.
The other thing to consider as well you buy a car here all its service records are reg here then,that looks to good to Chrysler Canada when it comes to warranty stuff..good luck :thumbsup: hind sight goes a long way

·
Registered
988 Posts
As a rule, a dealer will NOT sell you a new Challenger, as soon as they hear "Canada" they will drop you like a hot potato.

However they'll happily sell you a used one.

Taxes are of no concern, the same taxes you will pay in Canada...
This may have been answered before but why not?

·
Banned
368 Posts
your warrantee will be void once you register your vehicle in canada. and as for bringing it back to the states for warranty work. the wonderful thing about computers is your warranty is probably worthless in the states also, because it is registered as a canadian owned vehicle with no warranty. and as for bringing the car over it is the QUEENSTON_LEWISTON bridge not the rainbow

·
Registered
408 Posts
...and as for bringing the car over it is the QUEENSTON_LEWISTON bridge not the rainbow
Thanks for the correction. I've updated the post accordingly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts