Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 srt8 challenger 6 speed with 22k miles for 29k. its listed as fleet vehicle. i guess that could mean rental or a corporate car. i contacted the dealer and expressed my concern over a former rental and all i got was they yeah i understand but it had been gone through blah blah. for the price its tempting anyway but i know this things prolly been beat its entire existance lol. kinda like my 69 charger prolly was before i bought it haha.

i may go look at it and take it for a ride anyway atleast to try the 6.4. ive driven the 6.1 and i wasnt really impressed. what year did they make it so you need to buy a seperate pcm to tune the cars? i currently have a 2012 5.7 with a custom diablo tune and id like to do it again if i didnt have to buy a pcm otherwise id just leave the stock tune in.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Ditto, wouldn't be a rental. But to answer your question, I wouldn't even buy a rental with someone else's money.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
My first R/T was a former rental that I bought with 12K on it, drove that car 4 years without a single problem.

·
Super Moderator
15,356 Posts
A '14 wouldn't require an unlocked PCM.

It may have been a company car / company lease - the miles are pretty low for a 5 model year old car and being a M6.

Most rental agency cars would be automatics, since that's much easier to rent to the general public.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I doubt this car is a ex rental especially if it's a stick. Also, way to old. Rental fleets only usually keep their cars 6 months to a year depending on milage. Now regarding buying an ex rental car, if you know what to look for and buy one with less than 20,000 mi on it than yes absolutely buy one. My current 2015 Charger SXT V6 is an ex National rental out of Tennessee. I bought it with 18,000 mi on it and looked it over meticulously for any signs of damage when I was buying it. Other than some scrapes in the chin spoiler and scuffs in the top of back bumper from loading stuff in the trunk the car was just about perfect. I'm now in year #2 with the car with almost 40,000 on it and 0 problems. I love the car as a daily driver for back and forth to work. I also had a ex rental 2012 Dodge Avenger SXT V6 prior to the charger that I traded in with 48,000 on it with no issues as well. If the car hasn't been wrecked and the mileage is low enough, no problems buying an ex rental if your getting a good deal on it.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
Budget rents Scat Packs and many are 6-speeds, fleet has got to be rental, what other company would buy an M6 SRT8 in a fleet order?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
$29,000 is a fair price. Kelly Blue Book says that a dealer price is from $31,628 to $35,121. A private sale range would be from $29,998 to $32,850.

That being said, I would get the car thoroughly checked out before you consider buying it.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I bought a 2000 Grand Marquis with about 20k on it back in 2001. It was a rental, and it looked good and was priced right.

It now has a little over 340K, yes 340,000 miles on it, and still running well. It's been one of the most trouble free cars that I've ever purchased. No major issues to date, so buying a rental isn't always a bad thing.

Just my experience with rentals :)

Best of luck

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
As noted, a bit old for a rental. A fleet purchase could be 5 Rams and a challenger. The big thing is to test drive it and pay attention to the clutch. Is it a Dodge dealer selling it? I bought a 2004 300m Thrifty rental car and drove it for 2.5 years and 80,000 miles with no issues but buying a "hot rod" manual transmission car I think requires a careful inspection.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I bought one former rental car in my life - 1992 Chevy Corsica with 9k miles. Transmission failed at 13k miles, under warranty luckily. I think it is hit or miss with former rentals. I rent cars a few times a month, and I always treat them well, but I don't think most people do and I think they get the absolute bare minimum maintenance. Hertz tends to keep their cars the longest, I just had a 2016 Altima with <<46,000>> rental miles. It was a busted up pig of a car.

I've never seen an SRT in anyone's rental fleet - I have seen R/Ts, and V6 cars... So - not sure fleet means it was actually a rental car. Did you run a carfax?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Guess it's hit or miss. You can hope that most of those miles were driven on the highway on long road trips, but then those miles could have been very short trips with the driver not waiting for the engine temperature to come up before gunning the engine cause it wasn't his/her own car and causing increased/premature wear on engine.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,824 Posts
Maybe an executive perk, hot car when they head hunted him/her. Driven 1 year, then a new vette :)

A Guy

·
Registered
346 Posts
Maybe an executive perk, hot car when they head hunted him/her. Driven 1 year, then a new vette :)

A Guy

This^^^. I have a friend who just retired from a company that gave him a vehicle. He could pick almost anyone from the manufacturer that they were buying from. Wish my company got me a car. :wink3:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would under the following conditions:
Get it thoroughly checked out by a certified Dodge Tech.
Be sure and tell them that it is a "rental" and you want to be sure there are no signs of abuse or unusual wear-n-tear.
Request a search of all maintenance records.

If all checks out, I would consider purchasing the car. Keep in mind that although the car is a rental, these cars do have a lot of "safeguards" designed into them that help minimize abuse like rev limiters, clutch delay valve, and software. Not like cars 30 years ago where you could really abuse them and cause some damage. After all, Dodge, does warranty them for 3 years, partly because they know they have a number of safeguards in place that help ensure the long-term reliability. Especially the motor & powertrain which is often warrantied for 5 years or 100,000 miles'

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hell no if it is a rental. Even if you have it checked ok..still wont show signs of being beat on internally. Just be patient..you will find one with a good owner.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the input guys. id like to go look at it atleast and finally drive a 6.4, im curious to how hard it pulls compared to my 5.7 with the basic boltons and custom tune. i suppose i could always supercharge but my r/t will never be an srt no matter what i do to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rental of Fleet Vehicle

My nephew worked for Enterprise and I'll tell you that they take good care of their vehicles. Probably better than most owners; those cars are their bread and butter! I'd have no qualms about buying a rental car at the right price; my only concern would be to check for cigarette burns and smell (unless you're a smoker) because a lot of renters break the rules and smoke in them anyway.
As far as fleet owned; that would be hard to figure that someone would pay top dollar for a performance car as "business car" but who knows? I once bought 3 fleet cars (not Challengers!) from the same company because they were priced lower than dealers and used car lots and the cars were in very good condition! Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have also bought rentals - Never had an issue. I just bought a New 18 TA for my wife before I retire - we had the local dealer bring us "A cherry," 2017 SRT Challenger with only 11,000 miles - It was everything we wanted - It was the biggest piece of $#@! I had ever seen - Bottom line you can find cars from rental agencies that have been taken care of and private owners that couldn't care less. I will say the rental agency would not have sold this - I suspect some kid owned the car. Bottom line you have to go over any used car. Sounds like it is worth looking at - Does the Hertz Mustangs come to mind??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts