Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up my new 2021 R/T Scat Pack Widebody and would like to change out part of the exhaust for improved sound and look. I’ve narrowed my plans to this and would like feedback (good or bad) on it. I have no plans to replace the resonators

Thanks
Bill D

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Just change the tips if you want a different look.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
I just picked up my new 2021 R/T Scat Pack Widebody and would like to change out part of the exhaust for improved sound and look. I’ve narrowed my plans to this and would like feedback (good or bad) on it. I have no plans to replace the resonators

Thanks
Bill D

Bill, give it some time before you tear into the exhaust.

I was happy with the stock set up on my '16, and by 5k miles, it "opened up" more. Little deeper sound that's just right to my ears.

These 392's are pretty dang loud from the outside. An underpass or drive through will give you a better idea what your car sounds like.

Fortunately, these are reasonably quiet on the inside comparatively.

I wouldn't want it any louder inside or outside.

Best of luck deciding.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
589 Posts
Bill, give it some time before you tear into the exhaust.

I was happy with the stock set up on my '16, and by 5k miles, it "opened up" more. Little deeper sound that's just right to my ears.

These 392's are pretty dang loud from the outside. An underpass or drive through will give you a better idea what your car sounds like.

Fortunately, these are reasonably quiet on the inside comparatively.

I wouldn't want it any louder inside or outside.

Best of luck deciding.
I agree. The soundproofing is really quite good with the windows up.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
That system has no way to deal with the active exhaust valves. You'd have to deal with them somehow (simulators, electronic, tune)

A Guy

Reactions: Bill Dobbins

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Do yourself a favor and listen to the folks who are advising you not to cut up your factory exhaust. Drone is absolutely the worst, especially in the 2,000 RPM range, which is exactly where your car will live when you're on the highway. It will drive you nuts and you'll kick yourself for spending a lot of money to make yourself miserable.

Believe it or not, the factory exhaust wakes up as you put miles on the car. The end result is a beautiful exhaust note. Also keep in mind that your car has a lot of sound barriers installed. Have someone ride behind you and they'll tell you how great the car sounds right out of the box.

I will leave you with one last thought. Car people know when a car has had bad exhaust work done. Ever been at a red light and listened to a car take off that sounds like someone took a hacksaw to the exhaust? I know what a real big block sounds like when it's idling next to me. You get the idea.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Have decided to take your advice and leave the exhaust as is for now. However, at some point down the road I plan to have the stock resonators in the back moved forward in order to change out the tips from rectangular to chrome quad round. It will still have the OEM mufflers/resonators, just altered to change the tips.

Thanks
Bill D

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Thanks everyone. Have decided to take your advice and leave the exhaust as is for now. However, at some point down the road I plan to have the stock resonators in the back moved forward in order to change out the tips from rectangular to chrome quad round. It will still have the OEM mufflers/resonators, just altered to change the tips.

Thanks
Bill D
Good decision Bill. IMO. I have decided to do the same thing even though I have my Race Bullets in the garage. I am very surprised how much deeper and louder my exhaust sounds now (in Sport/Track modes with AEV open) at 1K miles compared to when I got it. Will the Bullets go on at some point? Undoubtedly. But for now, I'm happy enough with it and still have my exhaust warranty.

Reactions: Bill Dobbins
1 - 11 of 11 Posts